1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

EZ Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 01:15 AM
James Doty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EZ Lock

Two days ago I re-attached an LED that had fallen out of the dash and was laying behind the dash, I found it while tightening the headlight switch which was hanging pretty loose. I was hoping the LED was an indicator for one of the wheelchair user modifications the van has, but didn't know which one.

The van I bought this month came with a fob with a single button recessed in the middle of it. The fob wasn't working though so I took out the battery and put my DMM to it. The battery was putting out 7 volts with no load and is rated for 12 volts. So today I bought a new 23A battery for the fob and took it out to the van to test.

My thought was that the fob was a remote release for the EZ Lock wheelchair tie-down at the driver's position since I've not found any other buttons to control it. But I wasn't sure.

I opened the driver's door, and pressed the button on the fob. "Cool," I thought "the LED on the dash is blinking and the van chirped, but I wonder what it's doing?" Then all hell broke loose. A very loud and annoying siren sound was coming from under the hood. Yup, the LED and fob are part of an aftermarket alarm system!

It took what seemed like forever to shut the alarm off again, I didn't know what number of key presses it would take to shut it off, but I did something and the van chirped twice and was silent.

The guy I bought the van from never mentioned an alarm and likely didn't know what the fob was for or that there was an alarm. He did say he didn't know much about cars and almost nothing about vans with wheelchair equipment in them. So bonus alarm, it even works from inside the house. Good range.

If anyone recognizes this fob, other than arming and disarming the alarm, not the heck do I stop the alarm from sounding?

Alarm fob

Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 AM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I know of the EZ lock's they only use a hard wired system. But I could be wrong. Look for a square red button.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:46 AM
James Doty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll look for a small square red button then. I found a double throw momentary contact toggle that doesn't seem to do anything. I'll be tracing that by the end of next weekend.

I discovered a hidden method of getting the power doors open and lift deployed quite by accident yesterday, I won't say what it is here but I'm impressed that it was thought of. It's there in case the rf remote to open the van quits working.