Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably need to resize your pics. They are too big.. just a guess

Old 10-02-2018, 09:22 PM
Sggg
Trailering
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Underneath front end

Let's try this again!

Last edited by Sggg; 10-02-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: I got it!
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Sggg
Trailering
So also it was running and driving 15 years ago as well .

Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Looks solid as heck to me!

Old 10-03-2018, 11:32 AM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
we are looking for the most economical way to build this into a street rod and finally honour her father by getting it done

What is your budget on this? What is your definition of a street rod? From the angle of the pic in your shop, your pickup appears to have one ton or 1 1/2 ton front fenders and the bed is toast on the left side. So if these parts were replaced that would rule out keeping the original paint unless you did a fauxtina paint job on those parts. The rest of the body looks really solid as GB says. The rear cross member on the frame was broken and needs a better repair job. I have not seen a bottom view of a 1/2 ton '47 before with a 4 speed; pretty cool but the spur gear tranny won't work for a street rod. I see some Canadian features: the two piece, sliding?, rear window, chrome door handles, two windshield wipers and the tall oil filler on the engine. The hood side appears to not have "Ford" embossed on the hood sides.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:15 PM
sceptre155
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good ! Few hours with a pressure washer will clean a bunch of that right up ! Did you decide what kind of a build you're going for? I would think the box is salvageable with a new floor in it. An update on the motor? how's the oil look? Not green i hope....

Old 10-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Sggg
Trailering
You are correct. It it a canadian truck I believe it is a 3 speed with a double clutch

Old 10-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Sggg
Trailering
The truck has a lot of old local business decals under the yellow paint which I think would look really cool if we decide to go with the batina finish

Old 10-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Sggg
Trailering
Originally Posted by sceptre155
Looking good ! Few hours with a pressure washer will clean a bunch of that right up ! Did you decide what kind of a build you're going for? I would think the box is salvageable with a new floor in it. An update on the motor? how's the oil look? Not green i hope....
Of course I want to keep it rustic but new underneath and my wife wants clean and new .we are going to have a meeting this afternoon. Lol

Old 10-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Sggg
Trailering
Update

The fenders and hood are off doors as well. Screws were rusted in and heads sheared on a few .Had to grind most of the bolts. As sad as it makes both of us we are probably going to go as like new as possible there is rust and the body should be sandblasted and repaired. As we were sitting there a friend of the body man's came into the shop and was like that's the chainsaws truck .I hope you don't paint it .He remembered it from when he was a kid. We are torn body. Body man can do it but says it's going to cost more than making it look new. Any perspectives on how to maybe keep the paint and still have clean lines and solid truck that I can bring to him as ideas would be great thanks and good night . how about that cigarette lighter? Where those standard!?

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-04-2018, 04:39 AM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
OK, Thanks for the pics. After seeing the top of the transmission, I see that it is the 3-speed heavy duty version. It was first used in late '51 on the f-1 through f-5. It has a synchronizer for the second and third helical gears but has reverse and first spur gears.
The body man says it would be difficult and expensive because he would have to repair the body, then paint the truck the original green, then paint the later colors and signage as needed on that, then sand through the last yellow coat to expose the green and signage. This process is called fauxtina. ( fake patina) This would be cool but would take an artist to pull it off.
I say the cigarette lighter is aftermarket. I think that you have a Mercury hood.
Do you have a side view of the front fenders?

Old 10-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Sggg
Trailering
Originally Posted by tacomacream
OK, Thanks for the pics. After seeing the top of the transmission, I see that it is the 3-speed heavy duty version. It was first used in late '51 on the f-1 through f-5. It has a synchronizer for the second and third helical gears but has reverse and first spur gears.
The body man says it would be difficult and expensive because he would have to repair the body, then paint the truck the original green, then paint the later colors and signage as needed on that, then sand through the last yellow coat to expose the green and signage. This process is called fauxtina. ( fake patina) This would be cool but would take an artist to pull it off.
I say the cigarette lighter is aftermarket. I think that you have a Mercury hood.
Do you have a side view of the front fenders?
I will have more pics today .Cab is coming off. So what differentiates a half ton and a one ton from these years? The amount of leafs in the rear end? And are you saying that it had a transmission swap at some point.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Sggg
Trailering
So any ideas where to maybe list the motor and drive train rear end, front end ?

Old 10-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Sggg
Trailering
we are looking for the most economical way to build this into a street rod and finally honour her father by getting it done

What is your budget on this? What is your definition of a street rod? From the angle of the pic in your shop, your pickup appears to have one ton or 1 1/2 ton front fenders and the bed is toast on the left side. So if these parts were replaced that would rule out keeping the original paint unless you did a fauxtina paint job on those parts. The rest of the body looks really solid as GB says. The rear cross member on the frame was broken and needs a better repair job. I have not seen a bottom view of a 1/2 ton '47 before with a 4 speed; pretty cool but the spur gear tranny won't work for a street rod. I see some Canadian features: the two piece, sliding?, rear window, chrome door handles, two windshield wipers and the tall oil filler on the engine. The hood side appears to not have "Ford" embossed on the hood sides.
So we are going to build an old school 302 .mustang 2 front end with coil overs 9" ford rear end not sure what to do for rear suspension .

Old 10-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Sggg
Trailering

So we are going to build an old school 302 .mustang 2 front end with coil overs 9" ford rear end not sure what to do for rear suspension .

Quick Reply: Help me please!! 47 half ton