1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Will these E150 capn chairs fit my E350 ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:54 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Will these E150 capn chairs fit my E350 ??

I located a pair of captains chairs for sale. They came from a handicapped E150 conversion van. They look great, but the mounting system looks so different from my E350 stock bench seats that I want to get some confirmation here before I drive an hour to see them.
Here are the seats in the 150

Here is the mounting system. That big black flat base worries me.

The hole diagram gives me some hope. Do those flat rubber plugs cover bolts screwed into the same floor holes as in my 350?

Some more pics

Old 09-21-2018, 06:08 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Those seem to be in the second or third row location, they're aftermarket seats so yes they'll fit almost any E-Series body but you'll need the large flat plate to mount these in another van.

They are not a direct swap for any ford seat, these are installed in an aftermarket conversion. If you're getting both seats and seller will allow you to remove all mounting and the cost is fair a two hour drive isn't a huge waste of time.

I kinda like the mounting scheme--seems very flexible across Ford, Chevy or Dodge if that's any benefit. Add in they're from a manufacturer who puts their name and contact info on the seat components---pretty encouraging to me. Of course cost to buy is a factor and their overall condition as far as how clean and free of rips, tears or broken stitches etc.

Take all that FWIW---I've driven further only to be highly disappointed in what was offered---other times fell into a screaming good deal.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
Those seem to be in the second or third row location, they're aftermarket seats so yes they'll fit almost any E-Series body but you'll need the large flat plate to mount these in another van.

They are not a direct swap for any ford seat, these are installed in an aftermarket conversion. If you're getting both seats and seller will allow you to remove all mounting and the cost is fair a two hour drive isn't a huge waste of time.

I kinda like the mounting scheme--seems very flexible across Ford, Chevy or Dodge if that's any benefit. Add in they're from a manufacturer who puts their name and contact info on the seat components---pretty encouraging to me. Of course cost to buy is a factor and their overall condition as far as how clean and free of rips, tears or broken stitches etc.

Take all that FWIW---I've driven further only to be highly disappointed in what was offered---other times fell into a screaming good deal.
The only problem is removing the bases. I tried to do that with the seats in my 96 conversion van. Accessing the base bolts under the van is pretty much impossible. Some are above the fuel tank, the others above the muffler shielding. And they usually have interference fit threads, so they don't come off easily. I'd rather pull teeth from a wounded Grizzly.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:50 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by baddad457
The only problem is removing the bases. I tried to do that with the seats in my 96 conversion van. Accessing the base bolts under the van is pretty much impossible. Some are above the fuel tank, the others above the muffler shielding. And they usually have interference fit threads, so they don't come off easily. I'd rather pull teeth from a wounded Grizzly.
Did not know all that---sounds like a job for a Sawzall?

Most of those conversion vans were built to slap together in a hurry----working on most of the interior was always a huge hassle.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JWA
Did not know all that---sounds like a job for a Sawzall?

Most of those conversion vans were built to slap together in a hurry----working on most of the interior was always a huge hassle.
Most of the woodwork is fine, but no matter how they put it together, it does work loose over time. I've had to make a few repairs on that. I wish they'd put the same effort they put into mounting the seats in the woodwork.. They're rock solid but the seats are easy to remove with that latching system. Only takes a few minutes to remove the middle captains chairs. Didn't want to butcher up the underside of mine to remove the bases. I put two layers of carpet throw rugs over them to protect my knees when crawlin around in there. Them things HURT !

Old 09-21-2018, 06:03 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Most of the woodwork is fine, but no matter how they put it together, it does work loose over time. I've had to make a few repairs on that. I wish they'd put the same effort they put into mounting the seats in the woodwork.. They're rock solid but the seats are easy to remove with that latching system. Only takes a few minutes to remove the middle captains chairs. Didn't want to butcher up the underside of mine to remove the bases. I put two layers of carpet throw rugs over them to protect my knees when crawlin around in there. Them things HURT !
Any idea how those seat bases are secured to the floor Baddad? For removable seats that does look like a slick mounting system, just curious if the ones up for sale are worth salvaging for transplanting?

Old 09-21-2018, 11:29 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
They're bolted down like I said before, the nuts under the body are impossible to get to, the left side bolts are above the fuel tank. The right sides above the heat shielding for the exhaust. I couldn't get my hands on either side to hold backup on any of them. And I'm 99% certain they either have lock nuts or interference fit threads holding them. If you could reach the nuts, you'll still need someone up inside to work the bolts, if that's what's up there, I don't recall offhand (maybe studs there ? ) If they have studs, good luck trying to work a wrench under there. I see busted knuckles for whoever tries it .

Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
They're bolted down like I said before, the nuts under the body are impossible to get to, the left side bolts are above the fuel tank. The right sides above the heat shielding for the exhaust. I couldn't get my hands on either side to hold backup on any of them. And I'm 99% certain they either have lock nuts or interference fit threads holding them. If you could reach the nuts, you'll still need someone up inside to work the bolts, if that's what's up there, I don't recall offhand (maybe studs there ? ) If they have studs, good luck trying to work a wrench under there. I see busted knuckles for whoever tries it .
We're two mechanics in the family, so if we can get top and bottom at the same time, we could do it with a power impact tool on top. I asked the seller if she can grab some pics of what bolt heads are under the plugs.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:26 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
My bases are narrower, the bolts holding them down look like grade 8 or 9 , half inch (3/4" heads) . they're outboard of the base under the carpet. I don't know what type nuts are under the floor, they'd have to be either lock nuts or have an interference thread, like Ford used to use (or still does) on seat bolts. My old 69 Van had interference fit threads on the seat bolts. My front seats (driver and passenger) in this van have 5/16" or 3/8" bolts with regular lock nuts.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:33 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
The seller pulled those bases off. Here's what's underneath. Those don't look like the standard Ford bolts that hold down the mounting plates for E350 bench seats to me. It looks like the van outfitter cut new holes in the floor and put in some bolts. The Ford setup has welded in nuts in the floorpan, and big Torx bolts that go in from the top.

Or am I mistaken?

Old 09-23-2018, 04:06 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
Or am I mistaken?
Nope---you're pretty much spot on! Did the seller remove the bases or was that your work? Either way they seem like a good deal now, your only real issue is how to mount/secure them to your existing van.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:58 PM
rs784877
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How to remove seat base that is over the gas tank?

RenoHuskerDu -- Do you know how the guy who sold you the seats was able to prevent the bolts and brackets from falling through onto the top of the gas tank after the nuts were removed? I'm asking because your photo shows the bolts coming through the floor with nuts put back on them after he removed the base. How did he manage to do that with the gas tank in the way? For that matter, how were you able to install them with the gas tank in the way? Did you have to drop the gas tank?

Old 04-05-2023, 12:46 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
Conversion vans are sent out elsewhere, you'd be shocked at some of the stuff they get away with, drywall screws to secure high tops, cut the top with what looks like a can opener, jagged edges left. I have some removable bases from a 96 stored somewhere, need to get rid of them, they bolted down from the top, but have seen those above, wondered how they were secured to the floor, strange a shop would go so far as to drop a gas tank to mount a seat base, tho never surprised.