Head and block surface cleaning - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Head and block surface cleaning

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 09-20-2018, 10:05 AM
Macrosill
Elder User
Macrosill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I have searched and most of the threads are years old. Not sure if anything has changed with time.

Some say to get a honing block and use brake clean with sandpaper up to 1500 grit to prep the block. Some use the 3m discs. Some say do not use 3m discs no matter what. Some sand with their fingers only. Most however say to use the Ford metal prep and a plastic scraper. Some say a brass scraper. Some say just clean it of all gasket material and no more.

The Ford cleaner is almost 200 bucks for a can. Will another manufacturers gasket cleaner along with some plastic scrapers be good enough?

The some say to send the heads out to get magnafluxed and decked. Some say it is not worth it. DieselTech Ron indicated in his head video that he has never had a head warped out of Ford spec of .004 cross wise and that they all show surface cracks.

My current plan is to get the heads and block cleaned with some gasket cleaner, maybe some brake clean if needed and plastic scrapers. Then put them back on with new Ford gaskets. Not sending them out for anything as long as the visual inspection looks good.

While the heads are off I am going to address a broken manifold bolt and replace them all.

Any comments or suggestions on "The Plan"?

Old 09-20-2018, 10:18 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Totally agree with the lack of detail and consistency.

I have a different method, the video in process, going to be edited and I can’t do the narrative right now, but there’s no way i’m publically going to show it until I actually have the motor together and working, don’t need all the second guessing beforehand. It’s based on what I’ve done with small block Ford’s.

I’ll send you a PM. It's a bit more then "The Plan", but I'm nuts.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:07 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Way too many opinions on this floating around.......not meant as a dig to you Jack, I'm sure you think the same thing.
I'm in agreement here with you though, I think the whole thing has been beat to death when it boils down to the simple machining ideas I was taught years ago. They don't even have an engine machining class anymore where I went to tech school and now my son attends, sad really. Grinding cranks was my favorite. Getting things down to ten thousandths, tricks with the steady rest, straitening things.........lost arts.

I'll also add I know a few guys that are 6.0 experts, they say the same thing about overdoing it with all the machining. If it's not out of spec it's not broken and best leave it along.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Not taking it as one Mike. We actually share some of the same background, and it’s why I’m comfortable with what I’m doin

I’ll be the first to admit I’m going off the deep end, but it’s something to me is worth trying, and in salvaging the POS I bought.

Deleted everything else, I’m just in a bad mood today.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:01 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
Brian, PM boxfull.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Macrosill
Elder User
All cleaned out Jack. Sorry about that

Old 09-20-2018, 04:31 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
No problem. What I sent probably is fine for open forum.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Thor'sHammer
Elder User
Thor'sHammer has a very good reputation on FTE.Thor'sHammer has a very good reputation on FTE.Thor'sHammer has a very good reputation on FTE.Thor'sHammer has a very good reputation on FTE.
Last time I did it, I hit both heads and block with green scotch-brite cookies on a high speed, cleaned with MEK, went over everything with a sharpening stone and wd-40, cleaned again with MEK, burned off the surface of everything with alcohol and torch and then checked everything for true with a known straight straight-edge.

I also used Fel-Pro gaskets and over torqued the studs to 250 ft.lbs. I run the WPE extreme tune as a daily and haven't had a problem since. I also have a coolant pressure gauge installed in my dash and never see over 4 psi.

EDIT: Brown scotch-brite cookies....

Old 09-21-2018, 06:23 AM
Macrosill
Elder User
You broke the golden rule, no cookies! And your motor did not implode? LOL

Since the Ford metal surface cleaner is alomost 200 bucks I ordered some CRC Gasket cleaner. Good, bad?

It seems no matter hwo you do it, as long as you clean it well there should be no issues.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:21 AM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.
Subscriber

Old 09-21-2018, 07:26 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
You would not be the first person to use CRC in lieu of the overpriced Ford stuff, and not know the difference.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:37 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
It’s funny. Thor’s Hammer and I are diameterically opposed, powered cookies and torque. I have no problem removing metal though.

The CRC cleaner is what I use. The Ford wipes ZC-31-B use Orthophosphoric acid to clean the surface, which is phosphoric acid. There are a lot of products, including Naval Jelly that use phosphoric acid in the product to clean metal.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...us190874us.pdf

What I do to loosen the gasket residue is place paper towels over the deck and head, wet them with the CRC product, then cover that with poly e sheeting. This prevents the solvents from evaporating and can soften the material without constantly spraying. Using the paper towels prevents the gasket remover from going into all the openings that then would be hard to clean out.

My scraper of choice is a carbide tipped Super Scraper
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005A9T1/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005A9T1/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
although I have a brass scraper I didn’t use it. A brass wire wheel in a die grinder is OK to use as long as it’s soft enough, which means under 0.006” wires (McMaster https://www.mcmaster.com/#4916A31 ). FelPro also is fine with the Super Scraper and the wire wheel of that type.

When I am abrading my surfaces I use foam sheet and caulking foam in the holes to prevent materials from dropping in.

Last edited by TooManyToys.; 09-21-2018 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added additional details
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM
Macrosill
Elder User
Originally Posted by navistarnut View Post
You would not be the first person to use CRC in lieu of the overpriced Ford stuff, and not know the difference.
Thanks Mike. That is great news for me.

Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
It’s funny. Thor’s Hammer and I are diameterically opposed, powered cookies and torque. I have no problem removing metal though.

The CRC cleaner is what I use. The Ford wipes ZC-31-B use Orthophosphoric acid to clean the surface, which is phosphoric acid. There are a lot of products, including Naval Jelly that use phosphoric acid in the product to clean metal.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...us190874us.pdf

What I do to loosen the gasket residue is place paper towels over the deck and head, wet them with the CRC product, then cover that with poly e sheeting. This prevents the solvents from evaporating and can soften the material without constantly spraying. Using the paper towels prevents the gasket remover from going into all the openings that then would be hard to clean out.

When I am abrading my surfaces I use foam sheet and caulking foam in the holes to prevent materials from dropping in.
Jack,
Thanks once again. I will be using the paper towel and plastic sheeting trick. Any chance you want to take a road trip to Long Island and turn some wrenches along side one of your bestest FTE friends? LOL If not I may just have to keep asking you for tips and tricks on a daily basis.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:52 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
Edited my post above since your posting.

I’ve got a south Jersey road trip scheduled Wed and Thr (doc). But I wouldn’t consider myself a 6.0 expert.

LI requires crossing the Abyss though. BTW, where are you at.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Macrosill
Elder User
The middle of Suffolk County

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.