XL Headlight question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

XL Headlight question

Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 AM
delorenzomp
Senior User
delorenzomp is starting off with a positive reputation.
XL Headlight question

A question regarding the headlights on the XL version of 2017+ Super Duty...it appears that ALL FOUR quadrants light-up low under low beam operation, and from what I saw today, it appears that ALL FOUR quadrants light up high under high beam operation, is this so? Are there really four low/high halogen bulbs on these vehicles?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
All four beams operate on low beam. On high, the low beams remain on and the second filament in the high beam bulbs illuminates, but only on one set (I cannot remember if it is top or bottom).

Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 AM
delorenzomp
Senior User
Thanks, Troverman, maybe the vehicle I saw was weighed-down as all four appeared to be piercing. It was a utility truck straddling the yellow line facing traffic, all lights were serving as a warning, they all appeared to be on high...thanks again.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:25 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
I think it gives a unique look to these Fords. On trucks that came with LED headlights, only the top pair operate on low, and all 4 operate on high. But the halogen trucks always have the 4 beams lit, albeit only one pair operating on high beam filament on high. These lights perform better than the previous gen Super Duty lights, but could still be better.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 AM
delorenzomp
Senior User
Not sure if they do this, and not sure what Federal guidelines dictate, but four low beams could be put to good use lighting the shoulder and 'deer-watching' ( on the right side) ahead while still having the two others performing 'regular' low beam duty.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:38 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
Federal automotive safety regulations (DMVSS) allow for only four forward facing beams on low and two on high. This left many of us scratching our heads as to how Ford got approval for this design, since fog lamps count. On low beam, you would have 6 forward facing beams with fogs on. On high beam, that is why the fogs always go out on all vehicles. Of course, using the magic of the FORScan tool, many of us have (illegally) changed the coding to allow the fogs to remain on while high beam is operating.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 AM
delorenzomp
Senior User
sshhh, maybe nobody knows...

Old 09-19-2018, 01:23 PM
KCJackson1
Senior User
KCJackson1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
From what I read when this lighting scheme was announced, the halogen setup uses the same bulbs in all 4 positions but different lenses for throw. The lower two lamps have a short wide pattern and the upper two have a narrower distant throw. When combined, they provide more thorough illumination for both close and farther distances - like a more traditional 2-unit low beam but brighter to all areas. That was supposedly the loophole used to allow 4 low beams.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
The thing is, all are illuminated at once. So you'd have high beams at all times if that was the case. When you switch to high beam, you can see a noticeable difference in one set of lenses (can't remember if upper or lower) while the other set just remain illuminated. So that means a high beam filament is lighting up. I agree all the bulbs may be the same dual filament design, but one set does not use the high beam filament.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:34 PM
delorenzomp
Senior User
That's interesting, KCJackson1...maybe it is all in the nomenclature, maybe the lensed left light bucket and the lensed right light bucket are considered to be TWO lights regardless of the number of bulbs...I looked up what troverman mentioned about the total number of lights allowed, perhaps the complete set of 'headlights' illuminated with all lows and half as many highs is considered to be two headlights...

Old 09-19-2018, 02:58 PM
orion250
Junior User
orion250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wonder if we can get the other 2 high beams to come on via forscan? 🤔

Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 PM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just tested mine and all four change from low to high beam. Make sense since they are all dual filament. Test against a wall/garage door.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 PM
jimzpsd
Senior User
jimzpsd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by h20camper View Post
I just tested mine and all four change from low to high beam. Make sense since they are all dual filament. Test against a wall/garage door.
Yep, mine does the same........and always has.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:02 PM
delorenzomp
Senior User
Thanks for the testing, it must be pretty impressive driving at night. I hope they don’t change it...as an aside, back in 1980 when I first had halogen sealed besns on a full size Ford wagon the ‘inner bulbs’ were 100% clear glass, they did not have the frosted metallic dip to block and reflect. They were very nice, that changed quickly, though, I never saw the clear inner bulbs again.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 PM
bk4gbay
New User
bk4gbay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Federal automotive safety regulations (DMVSS) allow for only four forward facing beams on low and two on high. This left many of us scratching our heads as to how Ford got approval for this design, since fog lamps count. On low beam, you would have 6 forward facing beams with fogs on. On high beam, that is why the fogs always go out on all vehicles. Of course, using the magic of the FORScan tool, many of us have (illegally) changed the coding to allow the fogs to remain on while high beam is operating.
XL's dont come with fog lamps so that could be the loophole. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.