Best Glow Plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 03:10 PM
kidoo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Best Glow Plug

Hi guys,

I read quite a few posting about glow plug on this forum, and I hear different things from the shops, of course they sell their stuff.

Bottom line: Which one are the best glow plug on the market and why?

Motorcraft
Delphi
Lucas
Bosch
Beru
Autolite
Delco
Champion

Well

Old 09-24-2003, 05:40 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
Best Glow Plug

Guess I'll give my opinion on this topic.

To me the name brand of any product is not particularly important as different corporations have several brands they market under. I'm more concerned with design quality and warranty.

You asked me about Delphi. Although I've heard of them, I've not used any of their products. Curious, I did a search for information about them. I know now that they produce Delphi brand products, CAV brand products, Simms brand, Rotodiesel brand, and Condiesel brand. I also found they are involved in a class action suit regarding auto batteries they produced under the Delphi and AC Delco brands. The suit can be found here:

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/delphi.htm

Whether Delphi produces all of AC Delco's products I don't know.

Back to design quality and warranty: Motorcraft uses Beru to manufacture their brand of glowplugs. Just as Motorcraft uses the Purolator Corp. to produce their oil filters.

Beru has a nice little pdf file called, "Brochure>Glowplugs<" free to download at:

http://www.beru.com/english/produkte...oad.php?id=all

Will give you everything you wanted to know about glowplugs but were afraid to ask.

Dual Coil Contruction is apparently the state of the art for glow plugs right now. Beru says they did the pioneering. When the plug is energized, "one coil maintains optimal heating temp." while the other "effectively protects plug from overheating". Delphi says it also uses the dual coil construction.

Regarding warranty: I couldn't find any warranty info on Delphi, Motorcraft, or Beru. I did find that Beru recommends their g.p.'s be tested for continuity in the engine every 45K to 60K miles (75K to 100K Km). Dipaco makes glow plugs under the brandname LDM. They use the dual coil design and offer a two year warranty.

Food for thought. R.A.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:04 PM
camachinist
New User
As a direct replacement, Motorcraft/Beru. The vast majority of folks at TDS swear by them. They're about 10.00 each with tax.

There are some other types, which are constant duty, but the terminations are different, requiring a harness connector change.

I got mine last year for my 6.9 (which had 140K on the OEM's) at Autozone. Be sure to confirm the units say Beru on them. Don't know if this link will work but give it a try.

Pat

Old 09-28-2003, 07:38 PM
StevePA
Junior User
Motorcraft/Beru. According to the Diesel Gods over on ford-trucks.com in the IDI forum they are by far the best.

Old 09-28-2003, 08:02 PM
camachinist
New User
Gods over on ford-trucks.com

Heh! Didn't know if I could use that word here, hence the "TDS"....

I've learned much over there over the years......and saved myself money and embarrassment when doing my own glow plug replacement recently by reading up first. Gotta love the internet...

Pat