2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2019 F-450 true payload

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bobv60
...insurance cant dat he was drunk and speeding and ran a fed light, so we dont have to cover him
Likely true, but there is a remote chance it MAY not be.

Reason I say this is high performance boat policies have been known to contain language that if the operator is found at fault because of boating under the influence, or was "racing", or pulling water toys the policy will not provide coverage. Enforceable? Beats me. But my boat policy has said language. I have not seen/heard of such language for other types of policies such as our trucks...but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Edit: Oh, and I have definitely heard that most car insurance policies will not provide coverage if the car is on a racing surface...even if merely participating in a tightly controlled parade lap!

Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 PM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Interesting. I had always assumed the 450 would have a higher cargo figure than my 350. My KR has 5247 on the sticker but I think I would be more comfortable with a slide in camper on a 450 with larger tires, bigger brakes and the icing on the cake, a tighter turning radius. Just don't tell the weight police or they will get their shorts in a wad.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by First Dually
Likely true, but there is a remote chance it MAY not be.

Reason I say this is high performance boat policies have been known to contain language that if the operator is found at fault because of boating under the influence, or was "racing", or pulling water toys the policy will not provide coverage. Enforceable? Beats me. But my boat policy has said language. I have not seen/heard of such language for other types of policies such as our trucks...but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Edit: Oh, and I have definitely heard that most car insurance policies will not provide coverage if the car is on a racing surface...even if merely participating in a tightly controlled parade lap!
that is not on a public road. The laws are set to protect the people that are impacted by another driver. There are set so if YOU are hit buy someone doing something stupid YOU are not SOL because his insurance doesn't have to pay because he was stupid.
I am ONLY talking about liability insurance. The stuff that keeps us somewhat safe from being hurt in an accident that was not our fault and the we are not SOL.
if someone runs a red light and slams into you, have you ever heard that his insurance wont pay because he ran a red light? Of corse more, that is what liability insuance is for.
Now as far as comprehensive, that is different. If you are committing fraud, or racing on a track, or other things other then driving on public roads, you might not have insurance to cover YOUR losses.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
I had a 2011 F450. It really is just a F350 DRW with a wide front axle. It only had 13.5 inch brakes (in 2013 all superdutys got 14.3 inch brakes) and 17" tires as nd wheels. I have a large triple slide Eagle Cap 1200 campee. I had over 11,000lbs on the rear axle.
the truck did fine, never even a hint that it wasn't happy. But in the back of my mind I knew I was pushing the max capacity of the wheels, tires, and the DANA 80 rear axle.
I decided to go with a newer F450 that had the 19.5 tires and the larger rear axle (DANA 110 or 130 or M300)
the more I looked I decided to go with the heaverier frame on the 2017 and newer. So I now have a 2018 F450 Platnum.
I was actually surprised that wasn't as much difference between the two. The 19.5 tires wonder in the ruts so it took a while to get the tire and air bag pressures correct, I also see some say the tires will get better with some miles on them, I think that they are.
when you look at the specs. The new F450 is the most capible class 3 truck made. The rear tires and wheels, by themselves, are rated for 15000lbs, the same with the DANA 300 axle-15,000lbs. The rest of the drivetrain is used in class 6 trucks. In fact my f450 pickup is rated a 43,800 GCVWR. A F550 is only 40,000lbs.
loaded up my totals are 11,250 rear, 5400 front. I do not feel this truck is overloaded in any way.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009kr
Wow, that's heavy. I hit my overloads with "merely" 7800# on the rear axle. For the 10k on the back, do you have air bags, or just squat another inch?

BTW, I think it's kind of humorous that you have the total capacity of an F250 on your back axle. Then again, both have 4 wheels.
I use airbags. 85psi keeps the truck just about level so the headlights aren’t pointed way up in the sky. The truck handles it just fine if the airbags are deflated, but I would blind all oncoming traffic after dark.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:21 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
My 2017 350 dually Lariat Ultimate had a 5,440lb payload. The 450 is less for the aforementioned reasons.

Keep in mind the 450 and 350 dually have identical suspensions. The leafs are rated exactly the same. The 450 has a beefed up version of the 350 dually axle. It also has larger brakes and tires with much higher weight capacity. Because the suspension is the same yet it has better tires, brakes, and rear axle...it is more capable outside of the legal rating.

As far as brakes, using Tow/Haul and the diesel engine brake, brakes would not be an issue for even the heaviest of truck campers...even on a 350.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman

Keep in mind the 450 and 350 dually have identical suspensions. The leafs are rated exactly the same. The 450 has a beefed up version of the 350 dually axle. It also has larger brakes and tires with much higher weight capacity. Because the suspension is the same yet it has better tires, brakes, and rear axle...it is more capable outside of the legal rating.

As far as brakes, using Tow/Haul and the diesel engine brake, brakes would not be an issue for even the heaviest of truck campers...even on a 350.
I appreciate all of the great info you provide to this forum and agree with most of your post. I do disagree about a couple of your points though.

1. Suspension. The 450 and 350 do not have identical suspensions. For example, the F450 has much larger front and rear stabilizer bars (450 front is 35mm vs 28mm and the back is 31mm vs 25mm). I think some of the other components may be larger as well. (Track bar maybe?)
2. Brakes. The much larger brakes on the 450 (almost 50% larger pad area, bigger rotors, bigger calipers, bigger master cylinder) are important in hard stopping situations. The exhaust brake is great, but the huge brakes on the 450 are helpful if you need to stop fast when running heavy. I'm not suggesting that the 350 brakes are deficient, just that the exhaust brake and tow/haul don't negate the benefits of the 450's monster brakes.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009kr
I appreciate all of the great info you provide to this forum and agree with most of your post. I do disagree about a couple of your points though.

1. Suspension. The 450 and 350 do not have identical suspensions. For example, the F450 has much larger front and rear stabilizer bars (450 front is 35mm vs 28mm and the back is 31mm vs 25mm). I think some of the other components may be larger as well. (Track bar maybe?)
2. Brakes. The much larger brakes on the 450 (almost 50% larger pad area, bigger rotors, bigger calipers, bigger master cylinder) are important in hard stopping situations. The exhaust brake is great, but the huge brakes on the 450 are helpful if you need to stop fast when running heavy. I'm not suggesting that the 350 brakes are deficient, just that the exhaust brake and tow/haul don't negate the benefits of the 450's monster brakes.
Hey 2009kr, I don't disagree. Thanks for the compliments. I don't consider sway bars to be part of the suspension, since they don't suspend anything, and so I left them out. But I guess in a sense they are. Certainly a beefier sway bar is helpful, particular so with a truck camper. I did mention the 450 has better brakes...they are significantly larger thanks to the standard 19.5" rims.

All in all, the 450 is a better choice for a heavy truck camper, which is what I was trying to get at.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:25 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Not too long ago I had a chance to go test drive and look all through a new f450 limited at my local dealer. First I got to say it is the best pickup I have ever driven and if I wasn’t moving somewhere where it’s size is going to be a problem, I would get one without hesitation.

By my my point is saying this is that I got to look at just how big the brakes are in person for the first time. I have read that they where significantly bigger but I have never seen them in person. I got to say holy cow they are absolutely massive. I was blown away by their size. They barely fit in the 19.5 wheels and the caliper is bigger than the darn steering knuckle on the Dana Super 60. The caliper wraps a good 40% of the way around the rotor.

Sway bars are very large which I like and the wheels/tires and axle are rated up to ~15,000lbs. Keep in mind that a f450 pickup has pretty much the exact same hardware that a f550 (19,500 gvw) has with the exception of the back half of the frame being open C channel. So even if the pickups rear frame is slightly weaker than the f550’s (which it likely is just a little) I would say you should be perfectly fine up to AT LEAST 17-18,000lbs gvw or so.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:21 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by theboom
Not too long ago I had a chance to go test drive and look all through a new f450 limited at my local dealer. First I got to say it is the best pickup I have ever driven and if I wasn’t moving somewhere where it’s size is going to be a problem, I would get one without hesitation.

By my my point is saying this is that I got to look at just how big the brakes are in person for the first time. I have read that they where significantly bigger but I have never seen them in person. I got to say holy cow they are absolutely massive. I was blown away by their size. They barely fit in the 19.5 wheels and the caliper is bigger than the darn steering knuckle on the Dana Super 60. The caliper wraps a good 40% of the way around the rotor.

Sway bars are very large which I like and the wheels/tires and axle are rated up to ~15,000lbs. Keep in mind that a f450 pickup has pretty much the exact same hardware that a f550 (19,500 gvw) has with the exception of the back half of the frame being open C channel. So even if the pickups rear frame is slightly weaker than the f550’s (which it likely is just a little) I would say you should be perfectly fine up to AT LEAST 17-18,000lbs gvw or so.
A couple more points of clarification...

1. I assume you are referring to just the rear tires regarding the 15k rating. The six tires together are rated for a whopping 22,940#.

2. Both the F450 C&C and F550 C&C have WAY bigger rear leaf springs than I have on my F450 pickup truck. In my opinion, 18k# GVW for my truck would not be safe with the stock springs. Daily driving my truck, I'm glad that mine are rated at 9900#, not 15,000#! Personally, I suggest staying below the door sticker axle ratings (6000 + 9900 = 15,900#).

Old 09-19-2018, 05:42 PM
jimbonnet
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 F-450 Lariat Ultimate with every option nearly

Old 09-19-2018, 06:52 PM
motocamper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 450 lariat ultimate is loaded up. Sticker says 4817 lbs.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:55 PM
ravill
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by theboom

Actually, the 450 has a full frame where as the 550 has a C frame to accommodate various attachments a little better.

I would argue that the 450 is even MORE capable than a 550.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:18 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
C channel frame does not mean less stiff or less strong than a boxed frame. Significantly higher section modulus on the 2017+ CC frame than the 2017+ PU frame (meaning the C channel is larger and stronger than the boxed frame based on its size).

Old 09-19-2018, 09:55 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ravill

Actually, the 450 has a full frame where as the 550 has a C frame to accommodate various attachments a little better.

I would argue that the 450 is even MORE capable than a 550.

I think you are mixing up a F450 pickup (boxed frame) and F450/550 C&C (C-channel rear frame). While the boxed frame in the pickup is stiffer, that does not mean it is stronger. I am very happy with my F450 pickup boxed frame, but there is no way I suggest it is stronger than the frame in the C&C trucks. I'm quite confident that my boxed frame will deflect much less than the C&C frame under load - all of the way to the point when my boxed frame buckles and fails while the C&C frame simply twists.

Suggestions here that you can load a F450 pickup up as much (or more) than a C&C F450, or even the F550, are unsafe.

Quick Reply: 2019 F-450 true payload