1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

How hp/tq can a stock transmission handle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 AM
Jaxon24
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hp/tq can a stock transmission handle?

I have a 97 Powerstroke that's mechanically sound (162,000 miles), and I'm looking to do simple, yet effective upgrades without burning up my transmission.

Parts List:
1: https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/B...em-p/46356.htm
2: https://shop.fullforcediesel.com/obs...ffdobsst15.htm
3: Probably new head studs.
Like I said -- Nothing crazy. I don't have a lead foot, but I also don't shy away from the usual "stoplight challenge". A bit of minor towing (car/horse trailers). All input is welcome.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:07 AM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
While I dont have the experience with the 94-97 7.3s, I can shed a tiny bit of light on what you're looking at.

First off, if you've got a manual or an automatic will make a big difference on what it can handle.

1: You can more than likely piece together a kit at a better price than what Banks has listed there.
2: I recommend bumping to 80% nozzles over the 30% you have there. The 80% nozzles offer a good bit of advantages, many of which Tugly (Rich) has talked about previously, one post of these many can be found HERE. I also recommend new injectors vs reman. Look through some of Rich's posts and do a lot of reading up, it will not only increase your knowledge on the injectors themselves, but also help you make a better bang-for-the-buck decision.
3: I'm at 389k on my stock head studs running Stage 2 (160/80) sticks and a couple other mods, currently slipping a 400hp/800tq clutch with this setup. IIRC Rich made a couple posts regarding him installing ARP bolts without removing the head. May be worth a look for ya.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:32 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxon24
I have a 97 Powerstroke that's mechanically sound (162,000 miles), and I'm looking to do simple, yet effective upgrades without burning up my transmission.

Parts List:
1: https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/B...em-p/46356.htm
2: https://shop.fullforcediesel.com/obs...ffdobsst15.htm
3: Probably new head studs.
Like I said -- Nothing crazy. I don't have a lead foot, but I also don't shy away from the usual "stoplight challenge". A bit of minor towing (car/horse trailers). All input is welcome.
I'd recommend spending time researching how to piece the various parts from the Banks kit using other vendors.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 AM
mcnance865
Mountain Pass
I would skip the banks too. You will still have to spend around $450 for a chip and custom tunes to run those injectors. That banks chip is for stock injectors. Exhaust, Intake, Chip+tunes, Gauges or CTS2, Intercooler (since you are OBS), check for boost leaks and maybe just get a full boot kit from Riff Raff. That would be a great setup with 160/80.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Jaxon24
New User
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie
While I dont have the experience with the 94-97 7.3s, I can shed a tiny bit of light on what you're looking at.

First off, if you've got a manual or an automatic will make a big difference on what it can handle.

1: You can more than likely piece together a kit at a better price than what Banks has listed there.
2: I recommend bumping to 80% nozzles over the 30% you have there. The 80% nozzles offer a good bit of advantages, many of which Tugly (Rich) has talked about previously, one post of these many can be found HERE. I also recommend new injectors vs reman. Look through some of Rich's posts and do a lot of reading up, it will not only increase your knowledge on the injectors themselves, but also help you make a better bang-for-the-buck decision.
3: I'm at 389k on my stock head studs running Stage 2 (160/80) sticks and a couple other mods, currently slipping a 400hp/800tq clutch with this setup. IIRC Rich made a couple posts regarding him installing ARP bolts without removing the head. May be worth a look for ya.
Automatic trans. Also, that's kinda what I was planning on doing with the Power Pack -- just using it as a guideline. I had already found a better deal on a more preferable exhaust system.
If not stock, what should I do? Clutch kit, rebuild kit, etc.?

Old 09-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Jaxon24
New User
https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...werstroke.aspx Maybe just stick with some stage 1 injectors?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:33 PM
mcnance865
Mountain Pass
If you are gonna go to the 180cc, then you might as well go with a bigger nozzle because these injectors will be custom built anyways. If you want, you can go with an AC code (160/0) that come from the international version of the engine, so they are a direct drop in with no modifications and can be purchased straight off the shelf at any international dealer. These will give a good bump in power and still allow max towing and they will always be available.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:10 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
First of all get boost, egt, and trans temp gauges before you do anything, then for a good intake an exhaust the 6637 filter kit from riff Raff and a 4" Diamond eye exhaust are good options then you can get a Hydra chip for tuning, those mods alone will make a big improvement. If you want more than that things start getting expensive, bigger injectors, will require a built transmission, adding an intercooler, turbo upgrade, electric fuel conversion and 17* HPOP to run them effectively, you can do all of those mods one at a time with the bigger injectors being the last thing you do. Also avoid anything Banks, there is almost always a equal or better product available for cheaper.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 PM
Jaxon24
New User
Originally Posted by 00t444e
First of all get boost, egt, and trans temp gauges before you do anything, then for a good intake an exhaust the 6637 filter kit from riff Raff and a 4" Diamond eye exhaust are good options then you can get a Hydra chip for tuning, those mods alone will make a big improvement. If you want more than that things start getting expensive, bigger injectors, will require a built transmission, adding an intercooler, turbo upgrade, electric fuel conversion and 17* HPOP to run them effectively, you can do all of those mods one at a time with the bigger injectors being the last thing you do. Also avoid anything Banks, there is almost always a equal or better product available for cheaper.
TBH after a few hours of fishing on the river, and thinking -- I'll probably just get gauges, an upgraded impeller, boost fooler, exhaust, intake, and a tuner. More along the lines of the Powerstrokehelp.com route. Maybe I'll upgrade some expensive stuff (injectors, etc.) down the line when things start going wrong with them. I can get virtually all of it on Ebay, and easily install it myself in a week, or less!

Old 09-18-2018, 12:50 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
While you're getting a bunch of responses here, this thread really belongs in the 1994 - 1997 PSD forum.

Thread moved to the proper forum.

Stewart

Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The stock auto can barely hold up to a stock engine.
For the price of the banks kit you can get a t4 kit with turbo and have enough left over to get a nice used intercooler and a diamond exhaust
https://www.iratediesel.com/irdie/pr...5rwhp-package/

In this order
6637 intake
full ehaust
gauges
hpop
intercooler
push rods
stage I’s
turbo/intercooler

Old 09-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,172 Likes on 953 Posts
Add valve springs, stock ones on high mile heads have pretty low seat pressure.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:48 PM
Jaxon24
New User
This is what I've gathered together that I can install myself for my current budget.

https://www.xtremediesel.com/xtreme-...asket-contents
https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...46&cartrecid=0

I'll run this until my next winter layoff. My occupation is generally "seasonal" (carpenter/structural welder). Once that starts, I'll have plenty of time to contemplate trans, injectors, hpop, valve springs, intercooler, etc.

BTW, I'm no longer considering the Banks Power Pack. Advice has been taken.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:55 PM
Jaxon24
New User
I'd still love advice on transmission upgrades, though. After looking through everything -- I'm kinda wishing I had purchased a manual instead of an automatic. Things for the auto seem to be more limited (As far my novice brain can tell). No "simple" clutch kits, or things like that. It's either full upgrade/rebuild or gtfo!

Old 09-18-2018, 10:40 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxon24
I'd still love advice on transmission upgrades, though. After looking through everything -- I'm kinda wishing I had purchased a manual instead of an automatic. Things for the auto seem to be more limited (As far my novice brain can tell). No "simple" clutch kits, or things like that. It's either full upgrade/rebuild or gtfo!

The Installation Of Transgo's 'Tugger' Reprogramming Kit (Shift Kit For HD Hauling & Towing)

Quick Reply: How hp/tq can a stock transmission handle?