***Possible fried PCM or PATS forgot keys***

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:00 AM
altoids
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***Possible fried PCM or PATS forgot keys***

This is gonna be looooong.

I'm swapping my '01 Excursion 7.3 interior over to newer style interior. Before I pulled old dash out cranked/started it up... everything worked flawlessly. Did what I needed to on new dash (took two weeks) and installed it back in. Hooked up all harness connectors and grounds.
When I went to crank/start it lights came on like normal when door opened, door chime dinged when key was put in ignition, turn key to run.. cluster lights come on (WTS also) and fuel pump is on, and then start....just turns over..no start. Pay attention to cluster more...PATS LED is flashing rapidly so I leave key in for bout a minute till it stops flashing (usually remembers key when ever I've had to do this before), but still flashes rapidly when trying to start. Oil pressure builds up while cranking, Tach doesn't move.
Hook up ForScan and won't connect to vehicle so try rinky dink scanner same outcome. Go over fuses again and Data Link fuse was blown. Put new one in try to start for hell of it...but nothing. Hook ForScan up and it connects. One thing that stuck out was either the PATS or PCM module said something like unable to connect to transceiver/module and last line said something like PCM probable cause. Then I noticed fuel pump wasn't shutting off it had been running constantly. Cycle key on/off couple more times same thing...pump just runs and runs.
So I took an old '99 F250 PCM and plugged it in. No chime when key was in ignition, but cluster worked like normal in run (PATS flashes rapidly still) and then it fired right up when key turned to start (and Tach moved while cranking).
So it'll fire up like normal with '99 F250 PCM but just crank with it's '01 Excursion PCM. '01 PCM fuel pump constantly runs, no Tach movement, rapid flashing PATS.
I'm thinking PCM may be shot or I may need to erase keys and relearn them to for '01 PATS to allow it to start...IDK. Reeeeaaason.... I'm thinking may be shot is because I may of forgotten to remove the negative cables from batteries (positives were unhooked) when I had to relocate shift linkage bracket on steering column. I had to weld it to relocate it.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:46 PM
Taynton1
Mountain Pass
If you need a new one or rebuild, STAY AWAY FROM "MODULE EXPERTS" in Jacksonville, Fl.. My Ex has been down a month and I'm up to about $1000.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:18 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Lucky for you Johnathan can fix it because Excursion pcm are on the endangered list

https://www.dieseltechchatt.com/prod...12361158393919

Old 07-28-2022, 09:23 PM
Taynton1
Mountain Pass
Thank you for the link and referral. Looks interesting mine is a 5.4 which they may not work on. I have taken it to the Ford Shop "Garber Ford" and they now have the truck running again but still having the same "no forward gears" issue.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:06 AM
David Miller Lowe
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Before you replace the PCM make sure it has power... Do you have an odometer or '---------'? PCM owns the odometer and if you have all dashes or a scanner won't attach both point to PCM.

I was having the same symptoms as you but the issue was PCM power and replaced an intermittent relay to fix it after months of screwing around...
Dealer told me I have an unsupported tune, argued with me about it... (a@@-holes) because their tools would not attach via CAN... Doh! PCM was turned off, I'd think a professional tech would have figured this out..

Good Hunting!

Miller

Old 08-02-2022, 12:19 PM
Taynton1
Mountain Pass
PCM and PATS don't really seem to play on the same team. The dealership finally got my truck to start after a lot reset work on PCM and PATS. I would truly like to remove PATS but I don't think is possible on a 2001 Ex 5.4.

Real a
shame that we have such solid trucks only to be destroyed by electronic boxes.