2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Diesel vs. Gas Longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by smokewagun
I've owned several of every Powerstroke since 1999. I just got rid of a 2017 6.7L. I've only logged about 3 million miles with mostly diesels, so maybe I'm green, but at this time, and probably forever from here, I too will never own a diesel out of warranty unless the EGR and DPF are pulled off before 10k when new. The oil alone tells the story. Untweaked, your fingers that touch the drain oil stay black for days. Tweaked, you can see through it at 5,000 mikes. My experience, the new emissions have spoiled all the fun. I was fed up driving to run a regeneration out to completion.
I don't think the oil tells the story. Every diesel I've owned has inky black oil very shortly after an oil change. Even my diesel tractors. With a diesel engine's inherently higher compression ratio, blow-by is almost guaranteed. And if you look at exhaust after-treatment systems, it's just that. A DPF or a DEF injector have zero affect on the engine. On a Ford, engine regeneration does introduce a small amount of oil dilution via diesel. On a GM diesel, it does not. Nevertheless, oil analysis after oil analysis shows that there really isn't enough dilution to cause a problem. EGR causes coking, and EGR coolers can get plugged up. But EGR coolers are no big deal to clean or replace on a 6.7L Ford, and at $300 aren't that expensive either. Nor do they fail routinely like on some older diesels.

I understand you not liking the modern emissions controls. I don't really like them either...they add expense and failure points. I think they have evolved to a point where they are pretty reliable, though. For me, my main concerns are the fuel system and the major expense if you get water in the system, or some other contaminant.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Jack4x
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bohojo
HST,

thats exactly the set up I'm probably going with. 👍
You won't be disappointed.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:16 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
In the old days before diesel emissions, a diesel would far outlast a gas engine. Now with all of the emissions equipment on the new trucks I would say the gas engine is more reliable unless you plan on deleting the emissions equipment on the diesel.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Troverman, I DO think the oil speaks volumes. On my diesels, I sent them in to Blackstone. On my 2013, I never mentioned when I tweaked it, and watched the oil improve over several changes until they asked what I did to get my oil results to improve EVERY change from the first changes up to 30k. After 30k, the results just got better from wear to obviously, dilution. Then, run your fingers through a stock diesel truck and watch your hands stain from the excessive carbon in the oil. Carbon is an abrasive. After a few changes after being tweaked, my hands never were stained again, and the oil substantially more clean at higher miles. Even the detergents available at higher mileage allowed me to go up to 12,500 from 7,500 after tweaking. I still changed every 5,500.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:44 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Good for you, smokewagun. From my perspective, oil in a diesel engine gets very black very quickly, regardless of emissions equipment or not. I'd be curious on one thing, though...if you pull your dipstick after the oil has been in the engine for at least a few hundred miles and sniff it...does it smell like diesel exhaust?

Old 09-19-2018, 07:00 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Every diesel I have changed the oil in, the oil turns black quickly, that's not a bad thing, that just means the detergents in the oil are doing their job. However an emissions equiped Diesel will have more oil contamination, and dilution, but that can only be tested by an oil analysis not by the color of the oil.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:39 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Good for you, smokewagun. From my perspective, oil in a diesel engine gets very black very quickly, regardless of emissions equipment or not. I'd be curious on one thing, though...if you pull your dipstick after the oil has been in the engine for at least a few hundred miles and sniff it...does it smell like diesel exhaust?
Trovermsn, I'm not sure if you are trying to silently ridicule me, or not. I agree the oil in a diesel will get dirty quickly. yes, my oil did smell like diesel exhaust. It's a combustion engine. Any combustion engine will have oil resulting in the same type of smell. My current gas rig has oil that smells like gas exhaust.
My point is that a DPF and EGR choked diesel truck will produce a worse, and I do mean WORSE, oil sample much quicker than a properly tweaked truck. The carbon level is much higher and much sooner than a tweaked truck.
I thought I read on here you had history with diesel various diesel trucks, but I may have you confused with another member. If I do, I apologize. If you change your own oil and have run both stock and tweaked trucks, you should understand what I'm saying. It's not like one gets dirtier sooner, it's just a different product. DPF/EGR trucks produce very black oil that is full of extra abrasive carbon. That's only what I was trying to say. I think excessive carbon = additional abrasion = premature wear and sludge and failure. That's all. You're on point with dirty oil. I just see one more detrimental to engine life than the other.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:03 AM
sundance1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the gas engine and invest the 9k that the diesel will cost. Compound interest is a beautiful thing!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Diesels have been making oil black since Rudolph invented it. The idea that modern day smog equipment causes black oil is not correct, it may contribute however. Diesel operators and maintenance guys have been complaining about black oil forever.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:34 AM
troverman
Hotshot

Trovermsn, I'm not sure if you are trying to silently ridicule me, or not. I agree the oil in a diesel will get dirty quickly. yes, my oil did smell like diesel exhaust. It's a combustion engine. Any combustion engine will have oil resulting in the same type of smell. My current gas rig has oil that smells like gas exhaust.
My point is that a DPF and EGR choked diesel truck will produce a worse, and I do mean WORSE, oil sample much quicker than a properly tweaked truck. The carbon level is much higher and much sooner than a tweaked truck.
I thought I read on here you had history with diesel various diesel trucks, but I may have you confused with another member. If I do, I apologize. If you change your own oil and have run both stock and tweaked trucks, you should understand what I'm saying. It's not like one gets dirtier sooner, it's just a different product. DPF/EGR trucks produce very black oil that is full of extra abrasive carbon. That's only what I was trying to say. I think excessive carbon = additional abrasion = premature wear and sludge and failure. That's all. You're on point with dirty oil. I just see one more detrimental to engine life than the other.
No ridicule, and I'm sorry if that seemed implied. I have a fair amount of diesel engine experience. I love them, actually. But I disagree that the emissions controls are causing the problem. Think about it...the DPF is the last item on the exhaust system before it exits the truck. It cannot cause more carbon in the oil. Of course, active regeneration must occur *because* there is a DPF...and in the case of Ford, the method is injecting diesel while the valves are on the exhaust stroke. The goal is to send all the diesel down the exhaust system. A small amount of diesel fuel will enter the crankcase as blow-by. But this is clean, unburned diesel. And as for EGR...yes, it is dead end-gas which is sent back in to be mixed with fresh air. It doesn't really burn, just serves to lower combustion temps to reduce NOx. If it blows by the rings int the crankcase it will add some carbon. So in my opinion, only EGR could serve to significantly blacken the oil or make it more carbon-rich. Yet, in my experience, diesel engines without EGR have just as disgusting oil as EGR-equipped engines. I asked about the oil smell because smelling exhaust in the oil is indicative of blow-by. This is the case with every diesel engine I've ever smelled, whether equipped with full emissions or none. Yet gas engines tend to have a more pure oil smell which a much less pronounced exhaust smell. I assume it is because of lower compression. But anyway, that's my opinion.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:36 AM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 139 Posts
I don't think gas/diesel makes much difference at all in longevity anymore.I'm intending to keep my next diesel for 12-14 years at most. That's about as long as I kept my V-10 F-250. The trouble isn't in longevity of the mechanical components but rather the electronics. I wouldn't expect a computer to work 20 years without upgrading the motherboard and just about everything else inside the case. Support for software just doesn't seem to ever be kept up for 20+ years.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:40 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Automotive computers tend to be very good because they are quite basic. It is pretty rare for the engine or transmission ECU to fail. Body control modules, and various other modules, however, have a higher failure rate.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:16 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Even if you take EGR and dpf regen out of the equation a dpf, equiped truck will still be less efficient and have more build up in the oil due to the restrictive exhaust.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 AM
dieseldrive
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Not meant to ridicule you but; soot DOES NOT increase engine wear in Diesel Engines. Soot "particles" are normally smaller than 1 micron (usually much smaller) which is too small to cause wear. In fact, while the very best by-pass filter systems do filter more "dirt" out of engine oil than full flow filter systems, they DO NOT remove soot because particles are so small. My primary point = Using the term "dirty oil" to describe black oil is not accurate. Dirt found during oil analysis is actually silicon based (as is most of the "dirt" on our planet) and comes through poor air filtration, and is totally unrelated to soot. My secondary point = Soot does not wear out engine components unless; 1) it is so severe it conglomerates into much larger particle size and 2) and your engine oil filter clogs to the point of going into bypass (letting the large particles through the engine), but we are talking extremely neglected engines (running the oil and filters many times the recommended change intervals.
s lubrication system)

Also, as stated, some engines produce more soot than others during the combustion event. Older per-combustion engines produced more than newer direct injected engines, but when you get new enough to have EGR systems, the soot levels returned back to levels similar to the older pre-chamber engines. The "cleanest" (based on using opacity as the test, which is meaningless) engines are direct injected pre-egr engines (like a 7.3 Powerstroke). My 7.3 Powerstroke oil looks much "less black" than my 89 IDI 7.3.. But that is a meaningless point in judging the oils service life. Many, many fleets are running oil to the point of failure, but even then, its not the soot that causes the failure of the oil.

Oil analysis is the only way to evaluate oils useful life, but it isn't cost effective unless being used to to extend oil drain intervals for large fleets (they don't sample every truck every time). A huge amount of money can be saved by fleets by extending drain intervals to the maximum safe point. For someone with only one (or a few) engines, it is more economical to just change the oil at the recommended intervals established by the manufacturer for THAT ENGINE AND USAGE.

Black oil isn't wearing out your engine unless it has dirt in it.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:03 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I would mention that one reason diesels have historically outlasted gas engines is that they have heavier duty internals. This is still true today. If you compare a gas 6.2L Ford to a 6.7L diesel, the gas engine has two long timing chains, variable cam timing, tiny little lifters on the end of the rocker arms, etc. The diesel has a vastly larger and stronger crankshaft, massive lifters which drive two pushrods each and have large roller wheels on the bottom, a gear driven single camshaft which is huge, gear-drive fuel pump, etc. Granted, some of this strength is due to the higher forces imparted on the internals...but realistically it is built much more heavy duty than the gas engine.

Quick Reply: Diesel vs. Gas Longevity?