2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Back to square one

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Phx Raven
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. Here is what it says on our rules page word for word. Now I just noticed it says exceeding one ton
No motor vehicle classed by manufacturer rating as exceeding one ton, mobile home, mini-motor home, travel trailer, recreational vehicle, tent trailer, trailer, camper,boat, boat trailer or other similar equipment or vehicle may be parked or maintained, constructed, reconstructed, or repaired on any lot so as to be visible from neighboring property, the common areas or the streets

Old 09-16-2018, 11:33 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see draw of the HOA communities. It help keeps property values higher. This way you don’t have to live next to someone that never mows there lawn or has 6 vehicles parked in the front yard, half of which do not run.

As for the VIN. All it takes is 10 seconds and a cell phone to have it. They walk up to the truck, parked in the driveway or on the street, and snap a picture of the VIN plate in the lower left of the windshield.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:44 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Phx Raven
Thanks everyone for the info. Here is what it says on our rules page word for word. Now I just noticed it says exceeding one ton
No motor vehicle classed by manufacturer rating as exceeding one ton, mobile home, mini-motor home, travel trailer, recreational vehicle, tent trailer, trailer, camper,boat, boat trailer or other similar equipment or vehicle may be parked or maintained, constructed, reconstructed, or repaired on any lot so as to 4be visible from neighboring property, the common areas or the streets
the "one ton" raiting, if used by some literally. Any VEHICLE that over one ton "CLASS" could be ANY vehicle that can haul more than 2,000lbs.
Sounds to me you have two choices. Follow the rules and but another car, or move, because they can turn that wording to exclude any vehicle that want.
after all, they could say if you have a pickup, it can only be used for commercial or recreational. That would make it a "Recreational Vehicle".
I am with the above statement. I would rather live next to a slob, then be dictated to how I live.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:46 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcard30
I see draw of the HOA communities. It help keeps property values higher. This way you don’t have to live next to someone that never mows there lawn or has 6 vehicles parked in the front yard, half of which do not run.

As for the VIN. All it takes is 10 seconds and a cell phone to have it. They walk up to the truck, parked in the driveway or on the street, and snap a picture of the VIN plate in the lower left of the windshield.
Thanks for reminding me! I'm going out right now to put electrical tape over mine. Illegal??? Don't care...

Old 09-16-2018, 11:50 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Phx Raven
No motor vehicle classed by manufacturer rating as exceeding one ton, mobile home, mini-motor home, travel trailer, recreational vehicle, tent trailer, trailer, camper,boat, boat trailer or other similar equipment or vehicle may be parked or maintained, constructed, reconstructed, or repaired on any lot so as to be visible from neighboring property, the common areas or the streets

The F350 is (formally? informally?) classified as “one ton”. Since it doesn’t exceed one ton (i.e., an F450), you’re good to go, IMHO.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 09-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Phx Raven
Junior User
Maybe I should email them and tell them I am thinking of buying a 450 drw truck and wonder if it would violate the rules and. If I would have to keep it at a 350 since ford classified that as a one ton
ifnthey went by payload then lot of 250 and 2500 trucks would be in violation lol

Old 09-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thenewboss
I'm not bashing or being argumentative here, maybe someone can clear some things up for me. What possible benefits can one get that could possibly outweigh these ridiculous restrictions? I have never understood the appeal of living in such a neighborhood that dictates how you live your life, vehicles you buy, flags you fly etc. when there are other options (not living anywhere there is a HOA). In my opinion, not being able to park a vehicle I own, in the driveway of a house I own should be illegal. Maybe it is a better option for retired folks that don't really do anything besides drive their Prius to church once a week? I don't know, call it ignorance on my part, call it whatever you want, I just don't get it. I'll state it again, not being a ****, I just don't understand the draw. To the OP; first thing I thought of was re-badging with F250 badges, they have no legal right to check your registration documents or DMV records to verify otherwise...I think.
The "idea" of HOAs is good. Keep people's actions from damaging their neighbor's property values. Basically, require everybody to adequately maintain their property and keep their property clear of junk or other undesirable items. Mow the yard, paint the house, fix the broken gutters, don't accumulate trash, junk, disabled vehicles, etc.... The problem comes with governance and enforcement. People take a different view of what the HOA's level of enforcement should be and thus try to force people to conform to their own interpretation. I agree that I don't want a neighbor to store his travel trailer, horse trailer, equipment trailer, car trailer and dump trailer all in his back yard along with his tractors, graders, and backhoes. This is a residential community not an industrial park. So, storing the travel trailer or motorhome behind a screen is fine. And park the dually in the driveway. That's fine. I have a neighbor that operates his electrical contracting business from a metal building behind his home. There are typically a dozen F150s with racks and company graphics in his driveway every evening and weekend. Its a very nice neighborhood and his place does detract but we don't have an HOA that says he can't.

In Loudoun County (in Northern Virginia where I _was_ living) mandates that all residential developments must have an HOA. The county itself acts much like an HOA. It severely restricts signage for businesses and requires commercial developments, like shopping centers, be screened from the roadways by hills, trees and shrubbery. Thus when I first moved there I couldn't find grocery stores or gas stations or anything else because you can't see them from the roads. Its stupid beyond reason. So if this is the mindset of the county, imagine the HOAs. Add to that my monthly property taxes for Loudoun County exceeded my Florida home's entire mortgage payment and you can see why I gave them the finger as left.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
The "idea" of HOAs is good. Keep people's actions from damaging their neighbor's property values. Basically, require everybody to adequately maintain their property and keep their property clear of junk or other undesirable items. Mow the yard, paint the house, fix the broken gutters, don't accumulate trash, junk, disabled vehicles, etc.... The problem comes with governance and enforcement. People take a different view of what the HOA's level of enforcement should be and thus try to force people to conform to their own interpretation. I agree that I don't want a neighbor to store his travel trailer, horse trailer, equipment trailer, car trailer and dump trailer all in his back yard along with his tractors, graders, and backhoes. This is a residential community not an industrial park. So, storing the travel trailer or motorhome behind a screen is fine. And park the dually in the driveway. That's fine. I have a neighbor that operates his electrical contracting business from a metal building behind his home. There are typically a dozen F150s with racks and company graphics in his driveway every evening and weekend. Its a very nice neighborhood and his place does detract but we don't have an HOA that says he can't.

In Loudoun County (in Northern Virginia where I _was_ living) mandates that all residential developments must have an HOA. The county itself acts much like an HOA. It severely restricts signage for businesses and requires commercial developments, like shopping centers, be screened from the roadways by hills, trees and shrubbery. Thus when I first moved there I couldn't find grocery stores or gas stations or anything else because you can't see them from the roads. Its stupid beyond reason. So if this is the mindset of the county, imagine the HOAs. Add to that my monthly property taxes for Loudoun County exceeded my Florida home's entire mortgage payment and you can see why I gave them the finger as left.
Thanks for the insight. It's tough to see the good in anything like this when all I hear are folks I work with complaining about their HOA, and all the negative press in the media. I understand the property value thing, but what gets me is the folks who constantly complain about their HOA when they have plenty of choices of where to live. If you can afford a house in some fancy development, you can certainly afford a house that's not. In my mind it still boils down to choices, so unless you have some unavoidable requirement to live in one of these communities; why would you? The property value of my 3 acres, 1800 sq ft doublewide, and my 30x30 finished garage has gone up dramatically since I bought it. This includes 2 pick-ups in the driveway, 1 camper, 1 equipment trailer, 1 utility trailer, a carport with 1 Honda Civic, 1 Z mower, 1 tractor, 1 four wheeler, and various lawn equipment stored under it. All this and my property value has gone up, I just don't get it...

Old 09-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimzpsd
Go purchase the truck of your choice. And only then, if the issue comes up about the "rules", pack up and move out and flip them off as your doing so. Seriously, I wouldn't stand for an ounce of that BS.
LOL you would if you lived there! You signed the documents agreeing to this when you closed on the property. Sorry but ignorance of what you signed is no excuse.

So your bluster just ran out of steam....

I LOVE MY HOA AND RESTRICTIONS THE CITY HAS IN PLACE! Protects me from goobers who do stupid things or do not take care of their property. Have idiots who collect cars or keep a boat in the driveway in full view, or park Motorhomes in front of the house. I say "Nay Nay"..

Old 09-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Hard to believe that some people will judge your character based on what's parked in front of your house. But hey, I guess that's where the world is going now...offended by a boat

Old 09-16-2018, 09:22 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,712 Likes on 2,754 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
I LOVE MY HOA AND RESTRICTIONS THE CITY HAS IN PLACE! Protects me from goobers who do stupid things or do not take care of their property. Have idiots who collect cars or keep a boat in the driveway in full view, or park Motorhomes in front of the house. I say "Nay Nay"..
I don't LOVE my HOA but I do appreciate most of what they do for many of the same reasons you posted. People that don't like the concept of an HOA shouldn't live in one. Mainly so we don't have to hear them complaining.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:48 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
LOL you would if you lived there! You signed the documents agreeing to this when you closed on the property. Sorry but ignorance of what you signed is no excuse.

No, I really wouldn't....as why I would move out, LOL And also as why I don't live in the city. I live on my land, hunt, fish, trap and no one tells me the do's and don't's. One reason,.......... its MY property.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:59 PM
TXKR
Senior User
The 1-ton issue and boilerplate language for it with HOAs goes back a decade + when they were far more worried about dump trucks and motorhomes etc. With designs of modern vehicles as we all know, 3/4 pickups and 1-ton pickups are cosmetically the same, which is certainly the case with the 250 and 350. HOA's grant variances all the time, I know because I have been granted variances by mine for other things where common sense had to prevail over a decade-old document. If I were really concerned, I'd take pictures of both trucks and send a note to the HOA telling them that I had chosen a 350 and was simply wanting to notify them that while it has 1-ton capacity, its ostensibly identical to a 3/4 ton truck. They HOA is not going to take you to court over it and if they did they'd lose. No judge is going to side with an HOA on this.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:25 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 434 Likes on 139 Posts

You know, I've never understood how someone parking a motor home, travel trailer, or pickup on THEIR OWN property or in THEIR OWN driveway has any affect on you or the neighbors. Seriously, how does that hurt you? I get the grass cutting (but that's a stretch, because, well, sometimes life happens and you just don't have the time to cut the dam grass!), the 6 trashy cars parked out front, but a perfectly fine RV? Or a frickin pickup truck? Seriously?? My sister lived in one where they couldn't put their trash dumpster by the curb the dam night before trash pickup...when the trash truck came before 7:00 in the morning! So they had to get it out there after 5 am and before 7 am or they didn't get their trash picked up.

I'm just glad I live on 48 acres with no neighbors that I can see or can see me. Problem solved. Oh, and I keep ALL my stuff in the garage or detached garage. But, we also have the common courtesy to mind our own dam business and not worry about what anyone else has parked out front of their house.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:32 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CBEllis
Sounds like your HOA documents need to be amended!!! Maybe run for president next year and set'em straight.
duh yeah— they are the same size truck— one has an extra leaf. Sheesh neighborhood *****!

Quick Reply: Back to square one