Back to square one - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Back to square one

Old 09-15-2018, 08:22 PM
Phx Raven
Freshman User
Phx Raven is starting off with a positive reputation.
Back to square one

well I found a truck with exact color and options I wanted. Worked out a deal just outside my budget. Was contemplating just doing it and today I remembered about the HOA. Canít ahave any one ton vehicles parked in the neighborhood. So now Iím loooking for a 250. I donít think I will ever need anything more but wanted to just go all the way and get a 350

Old 09-15-2018, 08:26 PM
CBEllis
Senior User
CBEllis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like your HOA documents need to be amended!!! Maybe run for president next year and set'em straight.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:34 PM
bigt8600
Freshman User
bigt8600 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm VP of our HOA. We are receptive to a lot of issues, and we make exceptions often. I bet those rules don't want Dually's or Flat Bed work trucks. If you explain its the same thing as a 250 you might have a chance. Get it in writing if they allow it. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2018, 08:46 PM
xxxsherpa
Elder User
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Swap fender emblems.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Xwild is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa View Post
Swap fender emblems.
That was my exact first thought.. nobody would be able to tell...

Old 09-15-2018, 09:24 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Xwild View Post
That was my exact first thought.. nobody would be able to tell...

Its been done before. A friend of mine bought a new 350 last year and had the dealer swap the emblems before he left the lot. The HOA has never questioned it.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Phx Raven
Freshman User
Phx Raven is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thatís funny that you mentioned the fender emblems cause I thought about it. Thereís a older 350drw (2k-2008) down the street from me that I wondered how it has not been cited. Granted it has a handicap plate on it and. It sure if they made an exception. My in laws bought the house two doors down from us and moving in next week. My father in law had a stroke couple months ago and has a permanent handicap placard that if need be well register under him and my wife lol

Old 09-16-2018, 07:04 AM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Phx Raven View Post
well I found a truck with exact color and options I wanted. Worked out a deal just outside my budget. Was contemplating just doing it and today I remembered about the HOA. Can’t ahave any one ton vehicles parked in the neighborhood. So now I’m loooking for a 250. I don’t think I will ever need anything more but wanted to just go all the way and get a 350

This HOA restriction is likely based on outdated concepts of a one-ton truck, and may not even be enforceable as the definition and/ or intent is rather vague.

For example, a 2018 F150 SuperCab long bed is 1/2” longer then an F350 CrewCab short bed. Today’s F250 has a higher GVWR (10,000 lbs.) than a 20-year-old F350 (9900 lbs.). A modern F250 diesel 4x4 weighs more than an otherwise similar F350 gasser 4x2 SRW. Is a Ford Excursion OK but an F350 regular cab is a no-no?

I’d suggest talking with your HOA and find out how the restriction is interpreted and enforced. For example, can you park on your driveway or in your garage (private property) but not on the street (common property)? Is the intent to restrict “aesthetically questionable” commercial trucks (“1 ton”) but permit private / recreational pickups?

I do like the emblem swap idea, although a VIN check would reveal its true identity.

Yes, I’m on our HOA’s board of directors.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 09-16-2018, 08:18 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
wildcard30 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wildcard30 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I moved just because of HOA restrictions. We could not have any pickup truck parked outside of the garage at anytime. The HOA did not care if it was a work truck, flatbed or otherwise, it had to be in the garage when it as at the house. I was washing my truck one day and got a visit from one of the HOA "enforcers". I was told the truck had to be in the garage, no maintenance or washing/cleaning allowed. I checked the HOA rules and it said exactly that. I have a friend in another development that has the same rules, but they don't have an issue with maintenance or cleaning.

Most of these people, where I used to live, are retirees from "Northern States" that have nothing better to do then go around harassing people for any reason they can find. But, if you are in their little circle of friends, you can do anything you want. These are the rectums that had an issue with me, and other veterans, flying the American flag. That issue had to go to the lawyers because a group of us sued the HOA, and won. It got so bad that I had to get a no trespass order against the HOA board. They kept coming onto my property looking for violations. I even caught one, on my security camera video, looking in my windows. The order required them to give me 24 hour notice, it also had to list the specific reason and a 1/2 hour time window for entry. I have seen these people measuring the grass height at "selected" houses, including mine. It was interesting how they selected people that had stood up to the HOA for this special attention.

I now live in an area with no HOA. Sure there are drawback if your neighbors are slobs and don't maintain their property. My property is big enough that I can see them. But I no longer have the HOA ***** looking to cause issues just because they can.

Hopefully re-badging will work or the OP. Just be careful, if they check your VIN and get your window sticker, you may have an issue. Be sure to read your HOA rules. You can always try to get the rules changed, if you can get enough votes from the residents.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:11 AM
jimzpsd
Senior User
jimzpsd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Go purchase the truck of your choice. And only then, if the issue comes up about the "rules", pack up and move out and flip them off as your doing so. Seriously, I wouldn't stand for an ounce of that BS.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:33 AM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We’ve found that few of our HOA members read the covenants and restrictions before they bought into our community.

Some folks misunderstand the covenants. Some in our neighborhood think there’s a ban on RVs, but they’re permitted as long as they are “screened”, whatever that means.

A challenge that faces every HOA is that C’s and R’s must be consistently and uniformly enforced. Failure to so may make them unenforceable. As a result, some HOAs end up with, ah, “patrols”, shall we say.

The federal Freedom to Fly the American Flag Act of 2005 protects our right to reasonably display the American Flag, and it supersedes unreasonable HOA restrictions.

A big argument in our HOA is the interpretation of “single-family residence”. Is it a life style, or is it an architectural design? What’s the modern definition of “family”?

Ahhh, the “benefits and burdens” of HOA living!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 09-16-2018, 09:36 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
I was on the board of my HOA. As I recall, we only enforced the truck rule to prevent parking of large commercial trucks. We had one guy that was parking his Peterbilt in front of his house.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:37 AM
bobv60
Posting Guru
bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.
I agree that it cant be unforced unless the HOA has a clear definition that an F350 is a "one ton" truck
I am sure that the reason was to keep "duallys" off the street. Simple way, like suggested, is to get f250 badges to put on the truck.
I would look at the HOA rules and see exactly what it says. "One ton" is not a true class of trucks, its archaic, and doesn't apply to today's trucks. Most 150/1500 and meny compact trucks have over 2000lbs payload.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:48 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I moved because of the Stalinist HOAs in Northern Virginia. The HOA I fled: No vehicles can be parked in the driveway overnight, all must be garaged. No commercial vehicles (that is any vehicle with a company name on it anywhere.) No pickups with commercial bodies or equipment racks. Etc...

Many HOAs have a prohibition on commercial trucks. And they often qualify a "commercial truck" as greater than a 3/4 ton, regardless of its configuration or the presence of graphics identifying it as commercial. Thus a friend bought an F350 Platinum (CCSB 6.7) and had the dealership put F250 badging on it. Since there is no visual difference in the 250 and 350 (which in itself make the rule invalid) no one gave the truck a second look.

I fought the HOA where I lived regarding my 2001 E350 Clubwagon Chateau 7.3 PSD (used to tow my 24' enclosed racecar hauler that had to be stored off site because of the HOA's ban on keeping trailers on your property). Their claim was it fell under the commercial vehicle prohibition because it was a "350". I countered with; its not a "truck" as specified in the HOA C&Rs, its a van or as designated by Ford "a wagon". They countered that because it was a diesel (the C&Rs don't contain the word diesel anywhere) it was indeed a truck and even more of a commercial vehicle because of the diesel engine (somehow diesels are only for commercial use). When I countered that my neighbor had a Mercedes Benz diesel SUV, that vehicle met the same qualifications as a "truck" as my van under that interpretation. We went round and round about this for two years when I replaced the van with an '07 F350 CC/SRW 6.0 PSD. This made them really crazy. I was cited within days but was prepared. I already had a list of more than 50 other violations of the HOA C&Rs by other residents and filed a complaint against all of them, which included the all of the officers and the one guy who had taken issue with the diesel van. I eventually sold the home to a lawyer who, you guessed it, had a Chevy 3500 DRW and pulled a toy hauler which he parked in his driveway. He laughed when I asked him about it and he said he would have lots of fun in court with them.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Thenewboss
Elder User
Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm not bashing or being argumentative here, maybe someone can clear some things up for me. What possible benefits can one get that could possibly outweigh these ridiculous restrictions? I have never understood the appeal of living in such a neighborhood that dictates how you live your life, vehicles you buy, flags you fly etc. when there are other options (not living anywhere there is a HOA). In my opinion, not being able to park a vehicle I own, in the driveway of a house I own should be illegal. Maybe it is a better option for retired folks that don't really do anything besides drive their Prius to church once a week? I don't know, call it ignorance on my part, call it whatever you want, I just don't get it. I'll state it again, not being a ****, I just don't understand the draw. To the OP; first thing I thought of was re-badging with F250 badges, they have no legal right to check your registration documents or DMV records to verify otherwise...I think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.