1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Duty F450 & F250 Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 01:34 PM
mattt181
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a picture of my truck that was stolen last month. This is the only picture I have of it since it was a work truck. That is one of the only times it broke down and left us stranded....barely fitting on the wrecker.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mattt181
Dealing with insurance right now. They have sent their first low ball offer and I told them no. It didn't have a keyless entry.

Thanks everyone for the info and messages.

With it now having been a month, I'd say it's not coming back which sucks because the bed I had built for it was custom and only one local fab shop would build it like that, and that was 12 years ago. They are now out of business.

For a replacement truck, are the newer 6.7 diesels that much better than the 6.0 I am used to? The replacement cost difference difference between another 05-07 and a newer truck with the 6.7 is substantial.
ABSOLUTELY, but your wallet will never be the same. . The difference between the new diesels and said 7.3 L or the 6.0L is astounding . Spend some time in the 6.7 forum, you’ll see the pros and cons... Sorry for your loss, thieves should have their hands removed...

Old 09-13-2018, 05:11 PM
NDE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right now is a good time to make sure you are up to date on the new California requirements for the larger diesels. I believe your truck might have been one that would have required you to install a newer 2010+ motor. There is a thread in this section that talks all about it. I think it was F450 and bigger were affected. Before you replace you'll want to understand it. Pick ups appear to be excluded (I think)

Old 09-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Optimistic Paranoid
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this effective against Lojack as well?
I'm not positive how Lojack works, but if it depends on GPS satellites for position information, then I would assume so.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Optimistic Paranoid
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the unfortunate info. Is first generation SD from 99-16? I know there was different generations within those, like the 05-07 were all the same, 99-04 were their own as well I think?
Per the Wikipedia article on Ford Super Duties, 1st generation was produced from 1999 to mid-2007. 2nd generation was mid2-007 to Feb 2010, 3rd generation from Feb 2010 to June 2016, and everything newer is 4th gen.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by NDE
Right now is a good time to make sure you are up to date on the new California requirements for the larger diesels. I believe your truck might have been one that would have required you to install a newer 2010+ motor. There is a thread in this section that talks all about it. I think it was F450 and bigger were affected. Before you replace you'll want to understand it. Pick ups appear to be excluded (I think)

YES! No they're not IIRC they just get pushed out a bit further but still need to be swapped. This might be a blessing in disguise!

Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 PM
mattt181
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Colorado350

ABSOLUTELY, but your wallet will never be the same. . The difference between the new diesels and said 7.3 L or the 6.0L is astounding . Spend some time in the 6.7 forum, you’ll see the pros and cons... Sorry for your loss, thieves should have their hands removed...
Cool, thank you for the info and opinion. Does the 6.7 have it's own list of downfalls like the 6.0 with EGR cooler, head gaskets, oil cooler, etc?

I totally agree on no more hands for car thieves.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:35 PM
mattt181
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by NDE
Would you happen to remember the name of the thread? I thought that change over deal only applied to "fleets." Would it apply to a single truck as well?

If so, it's well past time to disband the out of control bureaucracy run by Mary Nichols and going after small business. Jerry Brown Turd is a LIAR.....CA is NOT the most business friendly state. Eff Sacramento.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:44 AM
BlackTruckDave
Mountain Pass
thieves should have their hands removed.
Mine was stolen June 2017....Never found a thing.
I have the blinking LED alarm installed. Also I am going to install a kill switch so it cannot be started. I have also heard of people tripping the fuel pump switch on the passerger side leg area to keep thieves from stealing it.
There is absolutely no deterrent for theft. They get 3 meals and a cot that taxpayers pay for if caught.
Public Hand Removal - Come on Trump....Make America Great Again...You won't

Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Batman7777
Elder User
3 quick stories....
(1) San Diego: My wife and I along with many others in a grocery store parking lot in San Diego (about noon) watched two car thieves as they broke out a window on a sports car, jumped in, alarm/siren blasting away and they within seconds started the car and drove off with the alarm blasting away. Everyone just watched because we didn't know what else to do. It happened very fast.
(2) Reno Nevada.... I was sitting in a car with the seat back while waiting for my wife to come out of a store. A car pulls up behind me with a young lady driver and young (early 20's man in the passenger seat. From my side mirror, I notice him open the hood, kept looking around and then closed the hood. He then came up along the side of my car not knowing I was in it and attempted to (what looked like) open the driver's door when he saw me and ran off. The girl behind me drove off quickly. Almost sure he was working to steal the car.
(3) Colorado Springs: WalMart parking lot.. I pulled up with truck and kinda out so not to get dinged. A large wrecker pulls up a few feet behind me and sits.. Not too unusual, but, I took notice. I got out of the truck and went inside but stood at the door for a minute and watch the wrecker get close to my truck. Something didn't feel right. So I went back out to the truck and on the way, another truck pulled up right next to mine and kinda close. There were obvious empty spots. Hmmm,,, I get to the truck and get in. The man that pulled very close to me was sitting there with a very sophisticated and fairly large held hand device. I got out of there and while leaving, I wondered if the device was some sort of alarm disabler and would also unlock the doors?

Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Batman7777
Elder User
One more thing... A Ford Truck Enthusiast member once wrote in to say that in all of the years he towed vehicles off with a wrecker, not once did anyone ever question him.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:10 PM
NDE
Junior User
Hope the attachment works. That should have a lot of the details. (b) says the scope is "Except as provided in subsection (c), this regulation applies to any person, business, federal government agency, school district or school transportation provider that owns or operates, leases, or rents, affected vehicles that operate in California. The regulation also applies to persons that sell affected vehicles in California and those described in section 2025(x). Affected vehicles are those that operate on diesel-fuel, dual-fuel, or alternative diesel-fuel that are registered to be driven on public highways, were originally designed to be driven on public highways whether or not they are registered, yard trucks with on-road engines or yard trucks with off-road engines used for agricultural operations, both engines of two-engine sweepers, schoolbuses, and have a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds (lbs)."

The GVWR of 14,000 pounds + flatbed is what might get you. If you had a pickup bed you are exempt as long as you are under GVWR of 19,500 pounds (non-commercial use).

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
tbfinalreg.pdf (258.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-15-2018, 12:31 PM
BlackTruckDave
Mountain Pass
Nevermind cutting off hands....Heads it should be! Never leave anything of value in your Ford Truck either!

Old 09-15-2018, 05:58 PM
reptar0077
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob
For an older Superduty that does not have the immobilizer Key system, look into a Cyclops Anti-Theft Module. It's an innocuous relay that installs in the truck under hood fuse/relay box. It disables the ignition and the fuel pump.I had one on my '01 350. More than paid for itself. Thieves popped the door lock and broke the steering column on two occasions, but couldn't start the truck.
The 2nd time was on a trip to the Houston area - they didn't get the truck - but I couldn't start it either.... I had to wait until Monday morning for a dealership to open to tow it in to repair the ignition and all of the other wires in the steering column before I could head home.

RWNJ
That is simple genus! Man thank you! I'm going to get that! Never heard of this before! Love that way better than having to wire a kill switch.

Sorry about your loose! I removed both door lock cylinders on my truck & installed jimmy jam plates on all four doors. Also VIN etched all my windows. Does etching work?
IDK but I haven't had attempted theft on it yet that I know of.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Optimistic Paranoid
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by reptar0077
That is simple genus! Man thank you! I'm going to get that! Never heard of this before! Love that way better than having to wire a kill switch.
My thought is that the easier it is to install a device, the easier it is to beat it. How long until the real pro thieves get wise to this and carry an OE relay with them? If the truck won't start, yank the suspected anti-theft relay and slap the OE back in in place of it and off he goes.

When I had the Ravelco system installed in my F250, it took the installer about 4 hours, I doubt that a thief could undo it and get the truck running in less than an hour. Well, I hope so, anyway . . .

Quick Reply: Super Duty F450 & F250 Stolen