Super Duty F450 & F250 Stolen - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Super Duty F450 & F250 Stolen

Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 PM
mattt181
Senior User
mattt181 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Super Duty F450 & F250 Stolen

Sadly, I have to report that my 2006 F450 Crew Cab 4wd Cab/Chassis w/ custom stake bed was stolen from my office, behind a locked gate one month ago. The theft happened on a Sunday afternoon at 2pm. It is all caught on security video. I've owned this truck since new and had it built exactly to my specs for personal towing usage and the construction company I work for. Truck was in great condition and had recently undergone a face lift and refresh to take it back to when it was new. Most recent thread about upgrades I had done to it here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...once-warm.html

2 nights ago, my good friends 02 F250 Crew Cab SB 4wd pick up was stolen from his driveway late night, early morning. This truck was in perfect condition and had a strong 7.3.

Both of us live in Southern California in the Orange - Anaheim Hills area. There has been a rash of Super Duty thefts in our area over the last couple months. Between the two of us, we know of 4-5 thefts in the last month. My question for the day.............are Super Duty's of that vintage that incredibly easy to steal? Is there a fatal flaw that allows jackhole crooks a quick getaway?

The theft of my truck, from the time they cut the lock on the gate to the time they were driving away was 3 minutes. It was so incredibly fast that this had to be professional crooks, that I would love to remove fingernails one at a time with pliers. 3 minutes total and about half that time, the Ahole was in the truck getting it started. This is not an inside job, we are a small business, all of us related, and we have the keys.

Are Super Duty trucks that easy to hot wire, break the ignition, whatever? What is the deal with theft being so quick and so easy????

I am now looking for a replacement truck. I've heard bad things about the 6.4 diesel, so I will stay away from those....08-10 model year correct?

The 6.0 had it's issues, but we own 2 of them, so I had figured out how to work with them and knew what I needed to do to make them run well. I am not opposed to another 05-07 SD 6.0. However, I seem to remember hearing even better things about the 6.7 diesel? What truck would you be looking at as a replacement? Are the new 6.7's that much better than my 06 6.0? Looking for been there, done that experiences.......do I go with same replacement or step up and pull out the wallet for the newer generation truck?

Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
Takes less than 2 mins to drive away with a first generation superduty. Punch a screwdriver under the handle and slide it forward. The door opens and you just need to bust the retainer off the ignition and it pops out. Now it's full screwdriver start. All these trucks end up in Mexico for the most part.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:52 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.
https://jimmijammer.com/JJ%20description,%20103000.htm

wont help now, but this might help you upon recovery or on the next one to prevent.

best of luck. Hate hearing stories like this. Why can't people leave stuff alone.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:38 AM
CollinsCD
Post Fiend
CollinsCD has a very good reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a very good reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a very good reputation on FTE.
I also hate hearing stories like this too.

With VIN numbers all over vehicles these days I'm guessing these trucks will end up over the border. Would another possibility be ending up in chop shops for parts?

Either way it sucks and I hope your insurance does you right.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Optimistic Paranoid
Junior User
Optimistic Paranoid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
Takes less than 2 mins to drive away with a first generation superduty. Punch a screwdriver under the handle and slide it forward. The door opens and you just need to bust the retainer off the ignition and it pops out. Now it's full screwdriver start. All these trucks end up in Mexico for the most part.
Precisely why I spent the money for a Ravelco system. The *******s may get it anyway, but they're really gonna have to work for it . . .

Old 09-13-2018, 07:57 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
RightWingNutJob has a good reputation on FTE.RightWingNutJob has a good reputation on FTE.
For an older Superduty that does not have the immobilizer Key system, look into a Cyclops Anti-Theft Module. It's an innocuous relay that installs in the truck under hood fuse/relay box. It disables the ignition and the fuel pump.I had one on my '01 350. More than paid for itself. Thieves popped the door lock and broke the steering column on two occasions, but couldn't start the truck.
The 2nd time was on a trip to the Houston area - they didn't get the truck - but I couldn't start it either.... I had to wait until Monday morning for a dealership to open to tow it in to repair the ignition and all of the other wires in the steering column before I could head home.

RWNJ

Old 09-13-2018, 08:58 AM
6.0Haydude
New User
6.0Haydude is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry to hear about your loss. To put your time and expense into your truck and see it vanish in a matter of minutes no doubt leaves a heavy feeling in the gut.

My 2003/6.0 is more of a work horse than a show horse but is in pretty good shape for its age and has been broken into 3 times when in the Houston area. Spots broken into are Walmart, Sam's and a hotel parking lot. You would think that security camera's would deter break in's but they don't. I was told by police that their camera resolutions aren't very good at a distance so parking away from the little ole ladies to prevent dings in your side panels is not a good idea and it is better to park closer to the store so you can get dinged up. Go figure. Also, and I hate doing it, I now try to park between vehicles so the thieves are less likely to pull up beside you to jamb your door lock with a screw driver or bust your window so it is more convenient and less obvious to load their car up with your bounty, etc.
Also, any time now in a public parking area, I make a loop around the parking lot before parking so see if anyone is sitting in their car waiting to make a hit. A little over a year ago I pulled into a Walmart parking lot and in front of me a guy was looking suspectious looking around nervously with a cell phone to his ear. I left my engine running and waited and sure enough he slithered over a few cars down into an empty spot next to a vehicle and broke the passenger window grabbing stuff out of the glove box, etc. I drove up to block his exit but he tried to get out anyway and so after he finally backed between the car behind him to escape, my bumper took out his front cowling which was dragging the ground as he sped off. Needless to say, it cost him a few bucks that day versus ripping other people off. For those in the Houston area, it was a white Kia with heavily tinted windows, paper plates at the time and it looked like a used rental car

I have heard of being able to put a locator device on the vehicle to access it's location if stolen, etc. I don't know anyting about it but perhaps for a small fee something like this may be worthwhile in the future?

Old 09-13-2018, 09:41 AM
BlackTruckDave
Junior User
BlackTruckDave is starting off with a positive reputation.
That really sucks and I am sorry to hear about your loss. These trucks are by far the easiest to steal. It's incredible that FORD has not been sued for this. My 2007 F250 supercab 4x4 was STOLEN right under a huge light and a camera pointing directly at it in a LaQuinta Hotel parking lot in Fairfield NJ.(BE WARNED THAT HOTELS DO NOT CARE AND ARE NOT RESPONISBLE AT ALL) I will never in my life stay at another LaQuinta hotel again.
Took the theives under 10 minutes to get in and drive away. Bypassing the FACTORY ALARM!!!!! GOOD FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!
Hope you had insurance cause I didn't have theft and got not a dime. 100% Loss.
Did your truck have a keyless entry? They like to pop them out and then they can just pop the lock and it disables the GOOD FOR NOTHING ALARM.
That really sucks!

Old 09-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Optimistic Paranoid
Junior User
Optimistic Paranoid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 6.0Haydude View Post
I have heard of being able to put a locator device on the vehicle to access it's location if stolen, etc. I don't know anyting about it but perhaps for a small fee something like this may be worthwhile in the future?
I'm afraid they are pretty much already a waste of money. There are small jammers that work on the same frequency that GPS satellites use. The thief plugs one into a cigarette socket in the car, and the tracker can't find the satellites so it can't report it's location.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:24 PM
dx3
Junior User
dx3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes they are very easy to steal. Unfortunately I takeat least one report a week personally regarding a stolen F250/350. In fact, a Saturday maybe 3 months ago I got 3 auto theft calls personally, all of which were F250ís.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:58 PM
mattt181
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
Thanks for the unfortunate info. Is first generation SD from 99-16? I know there was different generations within those, like the 05-07 were all the same, 99-04 were their own as well I think?

Old 09-13-2018, 01:07 PM
mattt181
Senior User
Originally Posted by 02TB250 View Post
https://jimmijammer.com/JJ%20description,%20103000.htm

wont help now, but this might help you upon recovery or on the next one to prevent.

best of luck. Hate hearing stories like this. Why can't people leave stuff alone.
Thanks. Never heard of these before.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:20 PM
mattt181
Senior User
Originally Posted by BlackTruckDave View Post
That really sucks and I am sorry to hear about your loss. These trucks are by far the easiest to steal. It's incredible that FORD has not been sued for this. My 2007 F250 supercab 4x4 was STOLEN right under a huge light and a camera pointing directly at it in a LaQuinta Hotel parking lot in Fairfield NJ.(BE WARNED THAT HOTELS DO NOT CARE AND ARE NOT RESPONISBLE AT ALL) I will never in my life stay at another LaQuinta hotel again.
Took the theives under 10 minutes to get in and drive away. Bypassing the FACTORY ALARM!!!!! GOOD FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!
Hope you had insurance cause I didn't have theft and got not a dime. 100% Loss.
Did your truck have a keyless entry? They like to pop them out and then they can just pop the lock and it disables the GOOD FOR NOTHING ALARM.
That really sucks!
Dealing with insurance right now. They have sent their first low ball offer and I told them no. It didn't have a keyless entry.

Thanks everyone for the info and messages.

With it now having been a month, I'd say it's not coming back which sucks because the bed I had built for it was custom and only one local fab shop would build it like that, and that was 12 years ago. They are now out of business.

For a replacement truck, are the newer 6.7 diesels that much better than the 6.0 I am used to? The replacement cost difference difference between another 05-07 and a newer truck with the 6.7 is substantial.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:26 PM
mattt181
Senior User
Originally Posted by Optimistic Paranoid View Post
I'm afraid they are pretty much already a waste of money. There are small jammers that work on the same frequency that GPS satellites use. The thief plugs one into a cigarette socket in the car, and the tracker can't find the satellites so it can't report it's location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfPc8tH8vBY
Is this effective against Lojack as well?

Old 09-13-2018, 01:29 PM
mattt181
Senior User
Originally Posted by CollinsCD View Post
I also hate hearing stories like this too.

With VIN numbers all over vehicles these days I'm guessing these trucks will end up over the border. Would another possibility be ending up in chop shops for parts?

Either way it sucks and I hope your insurance does you right.
Very good chance it's in Mexico. My friend was told by a friend of his who is CHP.....the bad hombres from down south are "at it again." I guess they go in waves with vehicle theft. Eff crooks, Eff bad hombres. Build. The. Wall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.