1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Front blend door replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 02:04 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Front blend door replacement

Through a few scraped knuckles, swear words, and an hour of my life I was able to replace the heater blend door on my 2006 expedition.

the old actuator was getting stuck in the full hot position if you would turn the heat up all the way, so that is the reason for replacement

the new actuator goes back and forth from full hot to full cold without any problem, but the gears click at both extremes

I don't want to stop out my new motor gears and go through the replacement process again..

is there a re learn process so that the BCM can learn the limits of the new motor? Or some other step I missed to keep it from stripping out the new actuator?

Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Run the self test procedure.

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test
•The EATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A NGS tester must be used to retrieve these concerns.
•The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°-32°C (40-90°F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.
•The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
•To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
•If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.
•If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.
•To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent diagnostic trouble codes and then turn OFF (display blank).
•To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.
•Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
•Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 PM
meborder
Thanks.

I should have been more clear, this is for manual HVAC

Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
I should have been more clear, this is for manual HVAC
Then it might just be a bad actuator, or substandard parts quality if it's an aftermarket piece. The gears should not jump teeth at all.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:55 PM
meborder
Guess I should have learned my lesson on the rear actuator.

guess I'll just run this one until
a: it dies
b: truck dies
c: new baby payments are done

hoping for "c"

thanks for the input and reset procedures

Old 12-20-2018, 01:33 PM
meborder
Verdict is in.

Cheap at aftermarket replacement actuator. Swapped it out for a motorcraft replacement and all is well. No more click when changing heat settings.

Lesson learned ... again .... the hard way.... like usual...

The following users liked this post: