Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

TOWING WITH 5TH WHEEL - 5 1/2' BED

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 11:30 AM
intofire56A
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TOWING WITH 5TH WHEEL - 5 1/2' BED

Has any towed or is towing a 5th wheel with a 5 1/2' bed? I have watched videos of the Reese Sidewinder using a short bed F150? Need actual testimony from users like you. Does it work on all 5th wheels?

I have noticed that the newer 5th wheel or some manufacturers are tampering the front ends of the trailer, not sure for looks or it actually gives more room to turn with sliding hitch on 6 1/2' beds..??

I am also wondering if the trailer is new, the application of the Sidewinder would void any warranty.

my research started as we looked at travel trailers, that what we want is pushing 30',

Thanks, Rick

Old 09-08-2018, 11:50 AM
rwtdct
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just make sure you vehicle is capable of towing what ever you get.

I have a Ford F350 crew cab short bed. After installing a Airborne Sidewinder I am now able to make a 90 degree turn. Not sure on the F150

Old 09-08-2018, 01:12 PM
4wheelfurry
Senior User
I pull a 2017 5er made for ½ton trucks with the short box. The way thay differ basically is a short overhang with inset corners and an offset pinbox. I added a gooseneck adapter so all I have in my bed is a removable ball.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 PM
intofire56A
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 4wheelfurry
I pull a 2017 5er made for ½ton trucks with the short box. The way thay differ basically is a short overhang with inset corners and an offset pinbox. I added a gooseneck adapter so all I have in my bed is a removable ball.
Wow, nice rig...can you send close up pictures of the hitch configuration and type and brand, trailers PIN weight, do have standard tow pkg or max? Can the tailgate drop in that position

Old 09-10-2018, 07:42 AM
MaceWindu57
New User
Originally Posted by intofire56A
Wow, nice rig...can you send close up pictures of the hitch configuration and type and brand, trailers PIN weight, do have standard tow pkg or max? Can the tailgate drop in that position
Nice rig! Can you tell me what your towing capacity is? I'm interested in a 5th wheel for half tons, and own a 2017 F150 with a 5.0 standard tow package.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:37 AM
4wheelfurry
Senior User
The tailgate will drop, clearance is minimal though! I have a standard tow package so yes I am overloaded by the factory rating. However I added 3.92 gears, air bags with onboard compressor and a rear sway bar. The 5er weighs in at 9100 dry so I figure I'm around 10k loaded. No issues pulling though but obviously the truck is still overloaded by the manufacture suggested sticker... I don't have a clear close up picture of the hitch but you may be able to make it out with this one. Adjustable Pinbox and gooseneck adapter.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:18 PM
eurojet
Freshman User
I was originally going to tow a 5er with my 2.7/ 5.5 box so I bought air bags and sidewinder, after thinking some more about it I decided I would get the 3.5 just to make sure i have the power to tow my new 5er. I also made the choice while getting the new truck I would also get the 6.5 box , after towing for this past season I have come to the conclusion that the sidewinder would have worked fine with the 5.5 box no issues but although the 2.7 is a fantastic engine the extra torque in the 3.5 is needed. I have also just recently taken off the sidewinder and use the factory pin box with no clearance issues. I am towing a 34' 5er loaded at 9500#

Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Wow. That rig looks close to 60' long. Well, I guess it is (34 + 20 = 54)...

Old 09-11-2018, 12:34 PM
intofire56A
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by eurojet
I was originally going to tow a 5er with my 2.7/ 5.5 box so I bought air bags and sidewinder, after thinking some more about it I decided I would get the 3.5 just to make sure i have the power to tow my new 5er. I also made the choice while getting the new truck I would also get the 6.5 box , after towing for this past season I have come to the conclusion that the sidewinder would have worked fine with the 5.5 box no issues but although the 2.7 is a fantastic engine the extra torque in the 3.5 is needed. I have also just recently taken off the sidewinder and use the factory pin box with no clearance issues. I am towing a 34' 5er loaded at 9500#
ok, so you did use the Sidewinder configuration, you had no issues or concerns to it's workings or design? Did it ride differently, what hitch where you using with it?

Again my concern is eventhough the hitch is over the axle, is it a known fact that weight of trailer is all on that hitch, or is there weight on the extended piece (Sidewinder) between the hitch and trailer connection (that bridge area, the cantilever area)...changing the weight over the bed behind the axle. Which changes the stress on the truck and swaying,

Does the front of the trailer design have any bearing when using the Sidewinder that would prevent 90° turns

Old 09-11-2018, 12:37 PM
intofire56A
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 4wheelfurry
The tailgate will drop, clearance is minimal though! I have a standard tow package so yes I am overloaded by the factory rating. However I added 3.92 gears, air bags with onboard compressor and a rear sway bar. The 5er weighs in at 9100 dry so I figure I'm around 10k loaded. No issues pulling though but obviously the truck is still overloaded by the manufacture suggested sticker... I don't have a clear close up picture of the hitch but you may be able to make it out with this one. Adjustable Pinbox and gooseneck adapter.
it would appreciate, if find time, to send a lighter picture, this one is too dark to view😁

Old 09-12-2018, 04:16 PM
eurojet
Freshman User
ok, so you did use the Sidewinder configuration, you had no issues or concerns to it's workings or design? Did it ride differently, what hitch where you using with it?

Again my concern is eventhough the hitch is over the axle, is it a known fact that weight of trailer is all on that hitch, or is there weight on the extended piece (Sidewinder) between the hitch and trailer connection (that bridge area, the cantilever area)...changing the weight over the bed behind the axle. Which changes the stress on the truck and swaying,

Does the front of the trailer design have any bearing when using the Sidewinder that would prevent 90° turns

I actually did not use it with my 5.5' box as mentioned but with my 6.5' and how far it sits back there would have been no issues with the smaller box ,myv5er had the nose cap made for short beds

I am using it with a b&w patriot 16k hitch currently sitting 2" ahead but that hitch can be set back up to 4".

The thing that I am currently trying to figure out is if the sidewinder is the cause of my front end bounce, I have taken off the sidewinder and have towed once with factory pin and bounce is noticeably not there

Old 09-12-2018, 04:19 PM
eurojet
Freshman User

I never used it with my 5.5 foot box I am using it with my 6.5 foot box and I have zero clearance issues and with the amount of clearance I currently have I know it would not be a problem with a 5.5 inch box and the nose cone of my 5er. The only thing that I am trying to figure out is if the Sidewinder was the cause of all the bouncing in the front end of my truck I have taken off The Sidewinder and return back to the factory pin box and on the1st trip I have taken with the factory pin box the bounce is noticeably a lot better

Old 09-12-2018, 04:46 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
4wheelfury hit it right on the nose when he said 3.92 gears....if your going to tow one of these these wind blockers follow his lead. In 10th gear you will still cruise when empty.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:24 PM
intofire56A
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by eurojet
I actually did not use it with my 5.5' box as mentioned but with my 6.5' and how far it sits back there would have been no issues with the smaller box ,myv5er had the nose cap made for short beds

I am using it with a b&w patriot 16k hitch currently sitting 2" ahead but that hitch can be set back up to 4".

The thing that I am currently trying to figure out is if the sidewinder is the cause of my front end bounce, I have taken off the sidewinder and have towed once with factory pin and bounce is noticeably not there
ok, thanks for your input, I appreciate it👍