1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

A4LD no over drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Carguy1959
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A4LD no over drive

I have a 88 Ranger 2.9 4 speed auto. 62,000 original miles. I resurrected it from a long sleep. She’s runs and drives fine. Doesn’t seem to be going into overdrive. I was doing 70 on the Hwy and tach was at about 3200 rpms. Down shifted to drive and felt no change.
Thanks

Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Congrats on the resurrection attempt. Too many of these older vehicles are being abandoned, or scrapped.
Did the resurrection include a pan drop, inspection of sediment & type & level of deposits? Then a good pan & magnet cleaning, filter change, along with refilling the pan with the amount drained out, then disconnecting the tranny return line & routing it into a measuring catch bucket & idling the engine for 15-20 seconds periods, to pump out 1-2 qts at a time, top up with new fluid = to the amount just pumped out, so to complete a Full Fluid pump out of the torque converter, tranny valve body, cooler & lines, so to get as much of the old fluid with depleted add pack out & new fluid in, so the new fluids detergents could begin a sludge, gum, varnish tidy up?

Does your model have a dash OD light & if so is it flashing?

Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the modulator valve on passenger side of transmission. Pull the vacuum line off if there is any fluid in it the valve is bad. It is a PITA to change because the cat is in the way. If you do change it be careful and not loose the short pin that is in there. Changing that valve made night and day difference in the way our 91 shifts. Also insure the other end is hooked to engine vacuum.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Carguy1959
Senior User
I have not dropped the trans pan yet. Need to get a filter and gasket. I will do this weekend. The modulator has the factory vacuum line attached and the motor has good vacuum, checked with gauge. I replaced the cat assembly, would have been a good time to check/replace the modulator, go figure. Is there anything mechanical I should check while I have the pan off?
thanks for the replies

Last edited by Carguy1959; 09-06-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 09-07-2018, 03:23 AM
pawpaw
While the tranny pan is off, check the torque on the valve body fasteners. Given the vehicle age, I like wtroger's idea to pull the tranny modulator vacuum line at its intake manifold connection point, to check for tranny fluid inside, as that's a sign the modulator diaphragm is leaking & should be replaced as he has suggested. Check the condition of that rubber vacuum line all the way from the modulator to the intake manifold, especially on the modulator & intake manifold ends as it sees a lot of heat there, so is subject to dryrot cracking.
Use a good quality tranny filter like the specified Motorcraft & a fluid that says its licensed to meet Fords Mercon-V specs, as the old Mercon fluid has been upgraded to a longer lasting more robust semi-synthetic MerconV recipe. Will be interesting to hear what you find, so keep the forum posted.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:00 PM
Carguy1959
Senior User
Thanks, will do. I ordered a new filter and gasket and modulator from Rockauto, wont be here till next week.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Carguy1959
Senior User
I received the modulator today and replaced it. I was able to drain some of the fluid out and add a bottle of Lucas trans additive. Trans shifts fine but still no overdrive. I should get the filter and gasket later this week. I don’t think a fluid and filter change is going to fix my problem. What else should I be looking for/checking while I have the pan off?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:50 AM
pawpaw
You haven't said if you've scanned for trouble code clues.
Seeing as how this puppy has set for a while & critters like to chew on wiring insulation, check the wiring all the way from the computer electrical connector to the TRS & its electrical connector & internal contacts for corrosion, bent pins, spread sockets & that the TRS its bolted up snug.
Internally check the wiring to the valve body located shift solenoids & measure the OD solenoid resistance with your multimeter.
Is the speed-o acting out any, if so add the speed sensor to your suspect list.
EDIT: If all that checks out ok, considering the age of this puppy & its unknown service history but the fact that the tranny seems to be shifting ok otherwise, maybe add the tranny OD servo piston to the suspect list. It's located on the passenger side of the tranny as illustrated here https://www.justanswer.com/ford/62fs...overdrive.html With age its rubber components harden & sometimes stick, so maybe it isn't applying the OD band???? More thoughts for consideration. A trouble code clue sure might help us make a more informed guess.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Carguy1959
Senior User
Thanks for the info. When I first got the truck I was getting a check engine light. I removed the plenum and cleaned the injectors, replaced the cap and button, plugs and wires, IAC, MAP,TPS, and the cold start sensor on the side of the plenum, O2 sensor and cats. As well as a few vacuum lines. I had the battery disconnected while doing so and now have no check engine light. I don’t have a scan tool for the OBD1 fords. I may pick one up just to check. There is one plug in the engine compartment that I had to leave unplugged. It was causing a blown fuse #5 which says it is for the turn signals and back up lights. I did this so my turn signals would work. Not sure where it goes to. Gray round 4 pin plug about an inch or a little bigger across. The wiring all seems to be in good shape for the most part. There is a cable coming from the shifter shaft going into the engine compartment that is not connected to anything under the hood. I have had to fix a few things, power windows,locks, etc. the only things not working at this point are the back up lights and the cruise which I removed because it had been already disconnected. The speedo seems to work fine as well as the tach and the rest of the gauges. I also replaced the in tank pump and both filters. The good thing is this truck is in really nice shape in and out. For some reason I am unable to post pictures, I can up load them but they don’t post. This truck even has the original spare with **** and holds air. I do see 2 round covers on the passenger side of the trans, I assume one of those is the OD solenoid.
Thanks for the reply, it gives me some things to check while I have the pan off. Looks like I may have to drop the cat again to get to the solenoid cover. Do you know if the OD one is the front closest to the bell housing or the one behind it?

Last edited by Carguy1959; 09-11-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-11-2018, 09:10 PM
pawpaw
For the OD servo piston location, scroll down & Carefully look at the 2nd illustration OD call out. Note its view is from atop the tranny looking down, so the bell housing is to the left as you view the illustration, just the Opposite of the 1st illustration view, which is from the rear passenger side of the tranny case.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Carguy1959
Senior User
I just ordered the parts I need to repair the servos, (basic rebuild kit). After reading the link, that sounds like my problem. Should be here Friday.
Thanks for your help
will post when done

Old 09-12-2018, 04:18 AM
pawpaw
Ok will be interesting to hear how it all turns out.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Carguy1959
Senior User
Ok, so I replaced both servos, found a place in town that had them. Truck is back together and everything works as it did before, still no overdrive. I have found a couple of books on line to help me research the next possibility. I am thinking about looking for one in a salvage yard and rebuilding it and then swapping. I also wonder how hard it would be to find the parts and swap to a 5 speed manual.
It is almost impossible to find an actual manual for this trans that I can read and look thru the pages.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 AM
pawpaw
Have you dropped the pan yet, if so, how did the debris type & loading in the pan sump look? Any pieces, or chunks in there?
While the tranny pan was down did you check the OD solenoid for continuity & to see if apply voltage is making it to the solenoid?
If all that was ok, while the pan was down did you inspect around the OD drum to see if any solid debris from the drum spring pack may be visible from the sprag locking up & causing od spring pack damage inside the drum?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Carguy1959
Senior User
I dropped the pan. It was very clean. Someone had removed it before. I did not check the OD solenoid, forgot. I am going to wait till the books I ordered get here and try again. The OD servo was diffidently bad, I really thought that was the problem. This truck appears to have had a easy life, it came from the factory with a trans cooler and only a bumper hitch. That being said, I don’t think it is caused by broken parts or excess wear. I think the soleniod is my next best bet.
Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: A4LD no over drive