Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Going all out like my Dad would have wanted 1984 4x4 6.9

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:30 AM
Aaron Keiser
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Going all out like my Dad would have wanted 1984 4x4 6.9

Hello everybody in Ford truck land. My names Aaron and this is a super first for me. First Ford, first pickup, and first diesel I've ever had before. I'm writing this because I recently inherited this truck from my dad may he rest in peace. This was the last truck my dad purchased/traded just before he passed. My dad was a badass. He could fix anything. Wanted to fix everything...you know like most us guys do. For many years of his life he worked as a diesel mechanic (big rigs) before going to laser optics in aerospace. His passion though was fixing Jeeps, trucks (Ford and Chevy). Rebuilding/modifiying/upgrading Engines, transmissions, transfer-cases, and axles. All of which he taught me how to do with his guidance. He wanted his boys to know how to fix stuff because he new that's what real men do. I don't want to harp too much but I thought I'd lay that down to give you guys an idea of where my heads at going forward with this build. I want to bring this thing back to a simple clean DD like my dad would have wanted. As of right now this truck is almost all original and stock. 1984 F-250 4x4 6.9 (banks turbo kit) single cab short bed. As of today I removed the tool box and 105 gallon auxiliary tank from bed (I wanted all 8ft. of that bed for activities) I went to Pick your part in Sun Valley, CA and pulled carpet, dash, tailgate, dome light, door seals, door trim, and installed them. Dash kind of reminds me a peanut butter and jelly. Name courtesy of Sean Dastrup. The Truck has a host of problems I hope to remedy over the next few weeks/months such as none working speedo, reverse lights, sagging front springs, rattling, shacking annoying as hell doors that need rebuilt. I'm not a color **** but depending how this little project goes may change everything. This truck has a Gear Vendor overdrive (not installed) that i'm thinking of swaping in but I'm also thinking of swaping in a kingpin D60 front axle from a F350 because I'm a solid axle kinda guys and that just seems fitting from what my dad might do.

This is what she looked like before I started

I'm thinking I could tow this behind the old Ford

Old 08-30-2018, 07:24 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
That's a good lookin' truck.

Here's a place to order parts from:

Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks

Old 08-30-2018, 11:06 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
NICE! Looking good.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:15 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The straight axle swap is pretty popular but personally the ttb axles ride a hell of a lot smoother, especially once you fix the worn leaf springs. Mine were too soft and caused it to bounce alot. A set of new shocks make a ton of difference as well.

If you don't feel like the 44 is up to the challenge a 60 or even a 50 would be a good upgrade. I've never had any trouble out of my 44 and the 4wd gets used fairly often..

Old 09-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Aaron Keiser
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast
The straight axle swap is pretty popular but personally the ttb axles ride a hell of a lot smoother, especially once you fix the worn leaf springs. Mine were too soft and caused it to bounce alot. A set of new shocks make a ton of difference as well.

If you don't feel like the 44 is up to the challenge a 60 or even a 50 would be a good upgrade. I've never had any trouble out of my 44 and the 4wd gets used fairly often..
I haven't done a full shake down of the front suspension and steering but if enough things are wrong I will probably just swap to a solid axle but you're definitely right that it would ride better keeping it TTB. I just figure if it's a bolt in setup I might as well get the D60. Costs more but seems like it would be right at home under that heavy diesel. I'd do some new shocks and and springs at that time. Anybody ever heard of shackle reversing these trucks and deleting the tracbar on a solid axle setup?

Old 09-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Aaron Keiser
Freshman User
deleted the flimsy mirror extension so I don't have to fix my mirrors every time after shutting the doors

Did another oil change and did the Motorcraft FL-1995 filter upgrade (1 quart extra)

Hit up Napa and got a new radiator cap/ new V-belts. Also cleaned both batteries and made some battery tied downs. Pulled the K&N air filter/cleaned/oiled.

Did a heater core super douche and completely replaced the heater core lines that were crispy and full of rust

Interior is still pretty rough but it's miles ahead from where it was. Still need to build the doors and get those windows working better

Old 09-03-2018, 08:52 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
you have a solid platform to start with!!
don't toss those mirror extenders, they are very hard to find and will probably sell for good money on evilbay.
if you do the D-60 swap, make sure you get the F350 springs and do a reverse shackle swap on it too. the IFS 250 springs are way too stiff for the D-60 and it will ride like crap. the 350 solid axke springs are a lot softer, and coupled with the reverse shackle kit, it will ride almost the same as the with the IFS D-50

Old 09-04-2018, 07:58 AM
RaymondIV
Elder User
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
don't toss those mirror extenders, they are very hard to find and will probably sell for good money on evilbay.
That's for sure. Those stock mirrors are inadequate for towing most anything except a flatbed. Especially the right side one.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Aaron Keiser
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RaymondIV
That's for sure. Those stock mirrors are inadequate for towing most anything except a flatbed. Especially the right side one.
They were old, brittle and couldn't hold the mirror So they go bye bye. If I really need a mirror extension I have some flat stock I could use instead. I went on LMC and after putting some door panels, lower door pocket panels, window glass seals my price went up to $450. Anyone know a place that's friendlier on the bank account. I'll probably have to hit up another scrap yard instead just trying to keep the cost down.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Dave042
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Nice truck and great back story. I'm sure your dad would be proud to see this truck project, I'm definitely following this thread. I love to see this type of thing.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:49 AM
Aaron Keiser
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dave042
Nice truck and great back story. I'm sure your dad would be proud to see this truck project, I'm definitely following this thread. I love to see this type of thing.
I know he would too. Knowing him he'd want this thing to tow some **** so i'm also aiming for that as well. With that being said I have been going though the cooling system to see what I can salvage and it doesn't look like much. I did the super heater core douche and and replaced the lines but then once I dived into the ACTUAL cooling system I found it was way more neglected than I thought. For the last week i've been trying run radiator flush/vinegar though the system to break things up.

After a few days I started breakup up WAY more than I thought so today I tore the Ford down and pulled the radiator and sent it off. In the mean time I went to my local Napa and got upper/lower rad hoses and thermostat/gasket. I'll take more tomorrow but here are the photos from today.

Can't overheat if your thermostat has a big hole in it!

Upper/lower rad hoses and thermostat

Tomorrow I'm picking up the radiator and throwing it all back together. May run just water in it for one final douche but then it's on a straight diet of regular green **** coolant.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:20 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
return that napa t-stat and get one from ford or international dealer.
99% of the aftermarket t-stats do not work in our engines.
they will overheat with aftermarket t-stats.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice truck .. It's gonna be a good one.

Many things you have on the to do list, I also had to iron out over the first years. Luckily it's mostly cosmetic stuff, the heart beats strong.

X2 get the correct t-stat from the dealership, aftermarket don't work.

Although certainly not smooth as butter, all my suspension and steering and ball joints are stock and no slop, just wheel bearings and brakes. the d44 turns 35" tires and is driven off road environments that defy reasonable expectations of a road vehicle. There is much room for improvement, but it is certainly durable and adequate in stock trim.

I like the crunchy t-stat. When ever I got my truck and flushed the rad, I got about 3lbs of solids out the lower hose.. It was surprising.

Later I had the coolant system open, for plugging the block heater. Two weeks or so I put a new rad and plugged it with a rubber cork. Filled it with green coolant, that strangely turned red upon operation. Chalked it up to wtf? That's weird, and ran it.

Later I changed the lower hose, and a family of mice, rather what was left of them, dropped into the bucket - I filtered off the varmit solids and recycled, so thus now my coolant and the heart of my truck has real blood flowing through it.

Welcome to the Ford family.

​​​​​

​​​​​

Old 09-07-2018, 02:07 AM
Aaron Keiser
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
return that napa t-stat and get one from ford or international dealer.
99% of the aftermarket t-stats do not work in our engines.
they will overheat with aftermarket t-stats.
I heard to only stick to original thermostats as well. To be honest I researched about the thermostat problem first...then the coolant problem second. As of right now I have everything back together and the temp seems to hold nice and steady under any driving condition minus and 10000 load. From the the rust and junk in the radiator from the beginning I know i'm 10x better than were I was but I suspect ill need to flush this cooliing system soon and fill it with the nice right stuff (Motorcraft VC-5 and VC-8 and RT1049 thermostat)

Old 09-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Aaron Keiser
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Leroy Unlisted
Nice truck .. It's gonna be a good one.

Many things you have on the to do list, I also had to iron out over the first years. Luckily it's mostly cosmetic stuff, the heart beats strong.

X2 get the correct t-stat from the dealership, aftermarket don't work.

Although certainly not smooth as butter, all my suspension and steering and ball joints are stock and no slop, just wheel bearings and brakes. the d44 turns 35" tires and is driven off road environments that defy reasonable expectations of a road vehicle. There is much room for improvement, but it is certainly durable and adequate in stock trim.

I like the crunchy t-stat. When ever I got my truck and flushed the rad, I got about 3lbs of solids out the lower hose.. It was surprising.

Later I had the coolant system open, for plugging the block heater. Two weeks or so I put a new rad and plugged it with a rubber cork. Filled it with green coolant, that strangely turned red upon operation. Chalked it up to wtf? That's weird, and ran it.

Later I changed the lower hose, and a family of mice, rather what was left of them, dropped into the bucket - I filtered off the varmit solids and recycled, so thus now my coolant and the heart of my truck has real blood flowing through it.

Welcome to the Ford family.

​​​​​

​​​​​
I guess I'll just order a new thermostat as well like everyone keeps saying. Currently the trucks driving great and I had read somewhere that people haven't had any problems with the new Napa thermostat. I suppose If I came across a nice used D44 with the right gears I'd swap that in but I also love those kingpin 60's. They seem to be built like diesels (last forever/never needs balljoints)

Dude that's a hell of a story with the mice living in the cooling system. Doesn't seem like the best place for them haha. I'm headed outside to go tinker with the old ford some more. I still need to redo my doors so maybe today i'll order the door glass guides and go form there.

Quick Reply: Going all out like my Dad would have wanted 1984 4x4 6.9