Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Anyone replace a multifunction switch on a Mariner?

Old 08-25-2018, 10:44 AM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone replace a multifunction switch on a Mariner?

I have a 2007 Mercury Mariner. The turn signal, wiper switch needs to be replaced. It seems to be the same on a (05,06 07) Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute. It is not the normal Ford turn signal where you pop the steering column cover off and unplug and remove it. This one looks like it slips over the steering shaft. So the steering wheel probably would come off. I thought I would see if anyone posted on it before, but I can't find anything here or on the net. Maybe I will just start taking things off.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:53 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Remove steering wheel, column shrouds, and the clockspring (follow all safety precautions!). Then you can get to the MFS.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Remove steering wheel, column shrouds, and the clockspring (follow all safety precautions!). Then you can get to the MFS.
Well that sounds pretty easy.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:48 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Ok for those that follow behind me. It was pretty easy, after I figured out all the stuff I took off did not need to come apart. The steering wheel is mounted in a very unusual way. I am going by memory and it is a little late.

Disconnect neg battery terminal.

To remove the column shroud.... The lower center panel (above the brake pedal) comes loose by pulling it down from the top and it will hinge and come off. Then the column shroud has 3 phillips screws on the bottom. 2 are towards the steering wheel and the other is in the center toward the rear. The 2 towards the steering wheel are coarse thread for plastic and the rear is a machine thread, so they are different. By dropping the tilt wheel you can pry apart the top and bottom pieces of the cover.

Turn the steering wheel upside down. On the top of the steering wheel towards the dash, (bottom of steering wheel, but now on top with steering wheel pointed down) there is a 3" x 3" plastic inspection cover. Remove it by pulling up on it.

Inside there are 2 plugs, disconnect them both. One unplugs from the clock spring, the other from the back of the air bag. (It will leave one pigtail on the clock spring and the other on the steering wheel.)

As you look inside the the access, just to the right of center there is a hex shaft sticking up. I used a 9/32 socket on it, maybe a 7mm would fit. Unscrew it counter clockwise. It is a worm gear that turns the steering wheel nut. It will be a little tight at first until it starts pushing the steering wheel off the shaft. You will have to turn it a lot. Then the steering wheel will come completely loose. Set it off to the side. You do not have to mark the steering wheel position. It fits on only one way.

Unplug the 2 connectors on the bottom of the clock spring. Remove the 3 bolts that hold it in place. Remove the clock spring, but do not turn it. Damage will occur if turned out of center. Set it aside.

Unplug the 2 connectors on the bottom of the multi function switch. Remove the 3 phillips screws that hold the switch in place. 2 on the top facing you, and the third is on the left facing down. Look at how the plastic center pins are positioned. They need to be kind of close to that position when installing the new switch.

To install, new switch goes in with the 2 connectors. Replace the clock spring, (remember not to alter its position), with the 2 connectors. Replace the steering wheel as you had it pointed down. Double check the position of the plastic tabs on the turn signal they line up with the slots on the steering wheel. Wiggle it a little as you line up the splines and it will drop in a little. Spin the little bolt clockwise, as you wiggle the wheel so the nut catches the steering shaft. It took me a little to get the nut to catch. Turn the little bolt clockwise. It will take a while. Then snug it. Replace the 2 connectors under the cover, the cover, the column shroud, and the center panel.

Sorry didn't take any pictures.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-11-2021, 04:03 PM
ohlookitstom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ski 44
I have a 2007 Mercury Mariner. The turn signal, wiper switch needs to be replaced. It seems to be the same on a (05,06 07) Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute. It is not the normal Ford turn signal where you pop the steering column cover off and unplug and remove it. This one looks like it slips over the steering shaft. So the steering wheel probably would come off. I thought I would see if anyone posted on it before, but I can't find anything here or on the net. Maybe I will just start taking things off.
2007 Escape is same vehicle, different badges. Turn signal switch you tube for 2008 is posted, and very similar EXCEPT for the tools.
T/S switch and Wiper Switch can be replaced separately from each other - both slide into a plastic mount around the column.
There is some grease in this area - have a rag handy to wipe your fingers.
Takes about 5 minutes to do.

For 2007, you need two screwdrivers -- small phillips, and #2 phillips with about 4-inches of shaft. Don't bother with cordless tools.

Steps:
1. Center panel near column adjust switch -- pull down toward floor from top to separate from two snap-catches; bottom two catches are hinge points (do not pull or you will break). Pull away from hinges and set aside.
2. Using #2 phillips, remove 3 screws holding bottom-half of clamshell around column (short screws, about 1/2 inch or 15mm long).
3. No key in ignition. Separate clamshell bottom from top. It is not designed to come apart, and you think you might break it. Maybe you will. Just pull down from bottom edge, hard enough to separate its plastic catches - most catches will survive and it will go back together fine, and it will all be OK. When Clamshell comes apart, the round guide for key switch will fall out with bottom half of clamshell - put both halves and key part out of the way.
4. Use small phillips screwdriver to remove two phillips screws from side of TS switch - one top and one bottom. (or from Wiper switch, same)
5. Pull switch straight away from steering column -- it slides in to white plastic mount.
6. With switch removed, disconnect harness by one center latch on connector -- separate harness and connector.
7. Connect replacement switch to harness, and slide into white plastic mount, tighten 2 screws. Switch is in.
Reverse order for re-assembly.
Notes:
-Re-alignment of clamshell should be done on left or right side, with all catches aligned, then snap all closed at same time. THEN do other side of clamshell. If not, you must separate again (and may break a tab in doing so).
-Key Switch cover seems to be a decorative piece -- I forgot it the first time, and it doesn't look like it's really necessary...
-Remember the panel from Step #1 -- two hinge points to bottom, then align two top catches, and press in with a thump of the hand.
Test, you're done.