2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 F150, need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:54 PM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts
I think you may have solved the dreaded 0022 code with the oem phasers . That's a big relief . That means you won't have to go into timing cover, that's the bear . I'm sure you will iron out the other problems without as much grief . A good set of phasers are $525 or so now but there is no other good choice.I saw f150t looking at your phasers and I agree they were screwed up .Some times the junk ones will last up to a year but other times they fail in days .
O2 sensors don't last forever they age which is understandable on an 04 . You have the best adviser working for you there. The dirt in that engine doesn't help.
He's right every other oil change I do a flush now and I run marvel m oil . Combustion dirt builds up fast .
Engine running poorly is hard on cats .

Old 09-29-2018, 07:01 PM
Sidney471
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the confusion on the threads. Thought it best to leave in the dark considering it had taken so many different turns and been commandeered by other posters.

I digress.

Thanks for your recommendation. I reckon that is the route we will go first. Do you happened to know the location as to where all the grounds would be to pinpoint them. Also is there a link to flash the pcm for the relearning process?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2018, 07:50 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidney471
Sorry ... ...
Do you happened to know the location as to where all the grounds would be to pinpoint them. Also is there a link to flash the pcm for the relearning process?

Thanks
I wasn't beating up on you. Only want to help and wanted to streamline that effort.

There are a 's*@^t LOAD of grounds all over the place - and I just know on a 15 year old vehicle (like mine) corrosion on ground connections can cause the most bizzar symptoms you can imagine. I removed my PCM bracket (there's about three under there) and battery / windshield washer reservoir (couple under there) --- and every other one I could find and burnished them with a brass bristle brush and screwed them back in tight. //// Can't say it fixed *****, but it (and confirming all sensor connection integrity) sure does no harm on a computer system.

The relearn process is a different subject. The PCM 'ingeniously' adjusts numerous 'tables' to compensate for gradual shifts in sensor and actuator effectiveness with age. Fuel trim tables are a prime example (covering both O2 sensors / injectors). Same is the case with Maf and Intake Air Temperature sensor as they get dirty with grime and grit. These systems start out from a BASE expectation that 'should' run the engine. The tables allow adjustment for variations in manufacture specs and drift from ware / deterioration. Changing any major component, it is a good idea to allow the PCM to start fresh from base, and re-adjust all parameters to fit the new part.

It does not require re-flash the PCM. For the battery disconnect 'relearn process', review this thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f72/batter...6/#post1370158

Old 09-29-2018, 08:11 PM
Gerald Harmon
New User
Originally Posted by F150Torqued
I wasn't beating up on you. Only want to help and wanted to streamline that effort.

There are a 's*@^t LOAD of grounds all over the place - and I just know on a 15 year old vehicle (like mine) corrosion on ground connections can cause the most bizzar symptoms you can imagine. I removed my PCM bracket (there's about three under there) and battery / windshield washer reservoir (couple under there) --- and every other one I could find and burnished them with a brass bristle brush and screwed them back in tight. //// Can't say it fixed *****, but it (and confirming all sensor connection integrity) sure does no harm on a computer system.

The relearn process is a different subject. The PCM 'ingeniously' adjusts numerous 'tables' to compensate for gradual shifts in sensor and actuator effectiveness with age. Fuel trim tables are a prime example (covering both O2 sensors / injectors). Same is the case with Maf and Intake Air Temperature sensor as they get dirty with grime and grit. These systems start out from a BASE expectation that 'should' run the engine. The tables allow adjustment for variations in manufacture specs and drift from ware / deterioration. Changing any major component, it is a good idea to allow the PCM to start fresh from base, and re-adjust all parameters to fit the new part.

It does not require re-flash the PCM. For the battery disconnect 'relearn process', review this thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f72/batter...6/#post1370158

I am the OP and the dad of 471sidney (or whatever it is). I have driven the truck some today. This is post new FORD sensor and I can say that I feel we no longer have the phaser issue and the truck drives a lot better..It used to die every time you put it in gear. It may be idling low but it has not died on me yet. It took a monumental effort to avoid it dying with the bad phaser and it ran like total ****. It is still not perfect but way better than previous. This thread is confusing as hell. LOL Thanks for the help..

Gerald Harmon

Old 09-29-2018, 09:15 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
A sincere thanks for the update. As has been stated I think we narrowed down and removed a bad Phaser. I have confidence in the PCM that it will give an appropriate DTC if the Phasers do not behave correctly. Chasing symptoms pretty much requires additional data now. Your son's Torque Pro app should allow monitoring results from various critical sensors to narrow things down to get that 260K mile 5.4l running like a top. Especially with the addition of that HV oil pump.

You may want to do a couple more short term oil changes running some flush the last few miles of the day then letting it set in the motor over night, then warming it up and drain. Or you can watch the PCM request command, send duty cycle % control to the VCT's and observe cam error (difference between requested retard and actual cam retard) by using Torque Pro. Using Torque Pro to its fullest certainly has a learning curve - but no more than poking around swapping parts trying to get one of the modern contraptions to run right. The Torque variable valve timing monitoring screen setup and download is described here: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...4/#post5133357

Old 09-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Gerald Harmon
New User
Originally Posted by F150Torqued
A sincere thanks for the update. As has been stated I think we narrowed down and removed a bad Phaser. I have confidence in the PCM that it will give an appropriate DTC if the Phasers do not behave correctly. Chasing symptoms pretty much requires additional data now. Your son's Torque Pro app should allow monitoring results from various critical sensors to narrow things down to get that 260K mile 5.4l running like a top. Especially with the addition of that HV oil pump.

You may want to do a couple more short term oil changes running some flush the last few miles of the day then letting it set in the motor over night, then warming it up and drain. Or you can watch the PCM request command, send duty cycle % control to the VCT's and observe cam error (difference between requested retard and actual cam retard) by using Torque Pro. Using Torque Pro to its fullest certainly has a learning curve - but no more than poking around swapping parts trying to get one of the modern contraptions to run right. The Torque variable valve timing monitoring screen setup and download is described here: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...4/#post5133357

I drove it around town for about an hour last night and got it to kick a couple codes finally. They were P0302 and P0316. I know there's something to work on on cylinder two and I assume the 0316 was in part due to cylinder 2 missing?
Not sure it that is our only problem but it's a starting point. If you keep it from going into OD it really doesn't drive that bad, NO more going dead every time you slow down, Some popping on acceleration but that's about. If it goes into OD it bucks pretty bad bad but for around town it okay,,,for now.. Thanks guys. We will keep you informed

Old 09-30-2018, 09:26 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
@Gerald Harmon I believe we have passed a major milestone - identifying, removing and replacing the faulty Phaser. (I hope you return the defective one with copies of your photos of it - and Stuff it squarely up the supplier's a$$. If they won't refund full price, I promise you I would politely walk out of the establishment, turn around and 'return it without refund' by THROWING the damn phaser through the largest storefront plate glass window.) If you get arrested for it, We'll start a GoFundMe page for your defense!

Moving on to the annoyance/problem at hand. The PCM treats misfires differently in different stages of startup. Misfires before the first 200 revolutions are treated lightly giving the systems (intake air / MAF / Injectors / Ignition timing / Idle speed etc) to settle down. P0316 "Misfire detected during first 1000 revolutions" will RESET the drive cycle counter for the number of drive cycles without a misfire. Mostly, not a huge deal. P0302 - a misfire occurred after the first 1000 revolutions and exceeded the maximum acceptable count.

The ignition design on this engine is unique. It pushes the limits and demands EVERYTHING be perfect - or you will experience misfires. Just a few simple/stupid examples are: Old brittle boots with heat/age cracks will trap moisture (from many heat/cooling cycles) and allow high voltage spark to arc to ground. Greasy finger prints on spark plug ceramic or carbon tracks can provide arc-over path. Installing new plugs back into carbon obstructed heads can fracture plugs internally allowing internal arc over. We have seen defective plugs out of the box.

I would recommend removing plug #2, clean carbon out of the extended hole beyond threads (to prevent carbon buildup from contacting the plug tip), install a new plug and boot with a small amount of dielectric grease. A couple of my posts analyzing misfire problems on this engine are here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/5-4l-3v...6/#post3930018

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/5-4l-3v...6/#post3932639

Old 10-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Sidney471
Freshman User
First off, thanks to everyone who has provided insight on this matter. We’re currently working on changing the plugs and cleaning the build up, etc. I was wondering if someone could stick their head in their engine bay and tell me if they have ground straplocated here(pictured below) and its purpose. It’s directly behind Bank 1 (passenger side) on the firewall just right (looking at the engine) of the PCM. I assume if this is suppose to have ground strap here, it could potentially cause issues.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:09 PM
Rumble phish
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine was missing

My 04 5.4 was missing that ground strap as well. Didn't notice it making that big of a difference, but then mine had much more serious issues.

Have you replaced your motor? If you didn't, it may have been a previous owner. That's pretty common to leave out.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Sidney471
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rumble phish
My 04 5.4 was missing that ground strap as well. Didn't notice it making that big of a difference, butbthen mine had much more seroser issues.

Have you replaced your motor? If you didn't, it may have been a previous owner. That's pretty common to leave out.
I am 99.9% sure that the engine was replaced. Reason being the truck itself is a '04. The engine on the other hand has the newer valve covers (bolt pattern w/less bolts) and the VCT's cannot be removed without removing the valve covers. I read that both of these were something implemented in '06 if I am not mistaken.

Thanks for your reply. Good to know it is not playing a major role. We will carry on as we were.