Sponsored by: DP Tuner

"Turning up" a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 05:18 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
"Turning up" a diesel

I've heard guys talk about "turning up" their diesel engines, but I'm not sure what they mean. Do you just adjust the injector pump to spray more fuel, or what do you have to do?

Old 09-23-2003, 05:22 PM
bricot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Turning up" a diesel

Theres everything from replacing the injectors with larger injectors, to chips, microtuners, intake/exhaust, propane ...

Injectors are a pretty spendy venture, most will make the truck breathe better (intake, downpipe, exhaust) and then go with a chip/microtuner for added horsepower/torque

Old 09-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Phat02
Senior User
"Turning up" a diesel

My guess would be that they are talking about fuel pressure. I hear this alot too, but mostly from Dodge Cummins owners. From what I understand, it is very easy to "turn up" the fuel pressure on a Cummins. I've never done it, never seen it done, so it may be BS.

While we're on the subject, a friend of mine did a $3 mod to his '01 F-250 that increased the fuel pressure. According to him, 2 pieces of wire and a switch was all he used. This loop bypasses a resistance point, so when the switch in "on", fuel pressure is increased (by how much I have no idea). When it's "off", everything is back to stock. He has no idea how to do it on my '02, alot of the wiring is different. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 09-23-2003, 09:20 PM
JHunter
New User
"Turning up" a diesel

On a Cummins 12v, turning up the pump is easy, you just slide the fuel plate in the injector pump forward. My old company truck was a 98 Dodge. I slotted the slots in the fuel plate more so you could slide it more. It makes a big difference. Kinda like free power. The 12v Cummins is all mechanical injection, No computers, the 24v has a computer. All 98.5 & up are 24v.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:12 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
"Turning up" a diesel

Yeah, most of what I've heard was from Dodge guys. One guy who went to Wyoming tech diesel school even said something about putting a nickel in the fuel pump to gain a significant amount of power. I knew even less about diesels then than I do now, so I just kinda shook my head and nodded. Now that I think about it, it doesn't really make sense.

Old 09-24-2003, 10:07 PM
JHunter
New User
"Turning up" a diesel

The nickle thing I cannot see how that would work. I have learned alot about the 12v cummins engine during the time I drove and worked on one (glad I have my powerstroke now). The injector pump pressure lever is controlled by the fuel plate. The fuel plate has a shape that maps fuel vs. rpm. There is another part that controls low boost fueling.

Enough about Cummins..

Jason

Old 09-25-2003, 04:50 PM
JMorton
Senior User
Re: "Turning up" a diesel

Originally posted by Phat02

While we're on the subject, a friend of mine did a $3 mod to his '01 F-250 that increased the fuel pressure. According to him, 2 pieces of wire and a switch was all he used. This loop bypasses a resistance point, so when the switch in "on", fuel pressure is increased (by how much I have no idea). When it's "off", everything is back to stock. He has no idea how to do it on my '02, alot of the wiring is different. Anyone know anything about this?
You're refering to the 10k resistor instaled on the ICP sensor, gives you a little more power and for me, about 1MPG increase. real easy to do. Search "10k mod" for instructions using the search here.

Old 09-25-2003, 04:59 PM
bricot
Elder User
What was involved/how easy was it to put the intercooler on your '97?

Old 09-25-2003, 05:25 PM
JMorton
Senior User
Look at the post in this forum about 97 intercooler, I posted a link to a website with a good step-by-step on how to do the install. You'll have to take everything off the front end and cut holes for the intercooler tubes, weld on some mounts, then either buy or make pipes that clear everything. A weekend job if you have all the right tools. Read the other post and check out the website, pretty good article.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Phat02
Senior User
Re: Re: "Turning up" a diesel

Originally posted by JMorton
You're refering to the 10k resistor instaled on the ICP sensor, gives you a little more power and for me, about 1MPG increase. real easy to do.
Thanks- I thought the 10K mod was what he was talking about. I heard about the 10K, but didn't see any instructions on how to do it.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:56 PM
JMorton
Senior User
10K MOD

It's realy simple, just go to Radio Shack and buy a 5 pack of 10k-ohm resistors for $1. take one out and get a 5 inch piece of 22 gauge wire and cut it in half, strip about and inch from one end of each and about 3/4 inch from the other ends. solder the resistor to the 3/4 ends, one piece of wire on each side of the resistor. cover in shrink tube and heat so it looks like one wire. Take 3-4 strands of the wires from the stripped ends that are left and twist together, cut off remaining strands so you have a real thin piece of wire. Remove the connector from the ICP sensor, this is the sensor at the front of the Driver's side cylinder head. when you look at the connector, it will look like two eyes and a mouth. insert one bare wire into the mouth and one into the right eye AS YOU'RE LOOKING AT THE CONECTOR!! Bend the wires around and make sure they don't touch eachother. re-connect the harness to the sensor and make sure it snaps into place or it will set a check engine light. Start the truck and take it for a ride. Lower resistance resistors is supposed to help the power gains but will give a rougher idle. Give it a try and see what you think!!

Old 09-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Phat02
Senior User
Thanks.

Old 09-25-2003, 08:28 PM
Fordman4x4
Senior User
Will the 10k Mod work at all if you already have a tuner or chip? Just wondering since they raise the fuel pressure/timing etc...if the 10k Mod will even do anything.

Nelson

Old 09-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Boss300
Senior User
The web page I looked at told me that with a chip this mod would do next to nothin due to the fact that this is one of the things the chip does for you.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:01 AM
JMorton
Senior User
10K MOD

I felt a difference installing it after I already had my chip. Better bottom end, seems like the turbo spools up faster, and better mileage.