6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Moog, tie rods, and other suspension stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:39 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Slightly off topic, but we put some new moog parts on a company dodge pickup recently , and the packaging was all marked made in the USA.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:05 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 456 Likes on 302 Posts
Not off topic at all. Thanks for the input.

I wish others would chime-in about other suspension parts brands they've used and their experiences.

Hey moderators, can I change the title of this thread to maybe something like "Moog, tie rods, and other suspension parts and brands you've used"?

Old 10-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Edit the first post and go into the advanced option and then you will have access to the topic if the post is not too old.
08-23-2018 so you should be able to do that.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:09 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Motohead911
I just did my drag link and tie rods ends with Moog parts, and they were all made in the US per the boxes. FYI I got them from Rockauto.
The boxes were made in the US.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I checked the tie rods and I can feel movement when I grab the center link bar like a pull-up bar and twist them. Not sure if this is normal. I do not hear any clunks while driving. Steering feels tight. I replaced upper and lower ball joints 45k ago. I don't want to replace if this movement is acceptable.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:03 PM
mastersativa
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
69cj is right, the boxes are made in the usa, the parts are not. Our rep from our parts supplier told us this. With that being said, the problem solver moog is still our "premium" replacement part we install. We use their quicksilver brand as our economy part, still made by moog. Now, are you sure your sway bar bushings are ok? Just a little deflection can add up to a big clunk. But, that doesn't explain why the noise would go away after greasing the tie rod. Is this noise consistent? Will it happen every time you drive it? Is so you can try removing the sway bar completely and seeing if the noise goes away. Another thing I can suggest is looking at your frame just in front of the steering box, and the same spot on the passenger side. Mine cracked there on both sides, just a thought.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:52 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I have new bushings here for the front sway bar. The reason is I was getting this clunk every now and then. I
happened to be under the front and looked up and found one of the bushings was missing the lip that keeps it in
place. I Just so I could wait for the parts I pushed it back to where is should be. I then ordered the new bushings.
They showed up and I have not had a clunk in more than a year and the new bushings are still in the box they
cam in. I really should put them in.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Opps wrong thread

Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mastersativa
69cj is right, the boxes are made in the usa, the parts are not. Our rep from our parts supplier told us this. With that being said, the problem solver moog is still our "premium" replacement part we install. We use their quicksilver brand as our economy part, still made by moog. Now, are you sure your sway bar bushings are ok? Just a little deflection can add up to a big clunk. But, that doesn't explain why the noise would go away after greasing the tie rod. Is this noise consistent? Will it happen every time you drive it? Is so you can try removing the sway bar completely and seeing if the noise goes away. Another thing I can suggest is looking at your frame just in front of the steering box, and the same spot on the passenger side. Mine cracked there on both sides, just a thought.
If you're addressing me, the sway bar bushings are good. And I think the relationship between the clunk and greasing of the tie rod was a coincidence. The creaking during right turns has been consistent since I started this thread, but it had been months since I heard the clunk, until last week when I drove down a curb at low speed and again it sounded like a hammer hit the floor by the passenger's feet. I pulled the tie rod end links again and the ball joints are tight, though the passenger side ones were oozing grease. I theorized it was due to more frame movement on that side because of failing cab mount bushings. And I suppose the Helwig sway bar can add to the movement if things aren't tight all around. So I picked-up some Energy Suspension mounts yesterday and installed. And just like everyone says, those front ones are a real biotch. I haven't driven it yet so I don't know if it made a difference. I'll be starting a new thread about the experience with several pics along the way.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:44 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by coolfeet
I checked the tie rods and I can feel movement when I grab the center link bar like a pull-up bar and twist them. Not sure if this is normal. I do not hear any clunks while driving. Steering feels tight. I replaced upper and lower ball joints 45k ago. I don't want to replace if this movement is acceptable.
I would only worry if its really easy to twist, as in almost dropping back down under its own weight right after you push it up.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Yahiko
I have new bushings here for the front sway bar. The reason is I was getting this clunk every now and then. I
happened to be under the front and looked up and found one of the bushings was missing the lip that keeps it in
place. I Just so I could wait for the parts I pushed it back to where is should be. I then ordered the new bushings.
They showed up and I have not had a clunk in more than a year and the new bushings are still in the box they
cam in. I really should put them in.
I just re-read this post. What a crack-up! You're like the charter member of the national procrastinators club.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry I bumped the wrong thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Fuzzpuss
I just re-read this post. What a crack-up! You're like the charter member of the national procrastinators club.
Sure am.
I think I would give it up if I ever felt like doing the giving but it way less work to just let that award sit on the shel collecting dust.

At least I did get the new compressor mostly installed. Still need to do the safeties and put the covers on the wiring/

Old 03-23-2019, 10:40 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuzzpuss
I would only worry if its really easy to twist, as in almost dropping back down under its own weight right after you push it up.
it’s still tight. I greased them and will drive another year or two

Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
So after two weeks with the Energy Suspension cab mount bushings, and some heavy rain, I have no more clunks to report. The whole truck feels tighter and I'm glad I did it. I'm calling this issue solved.

Would still like to hear about other suspension parts/brands guys are using and their experiences with them.

Quick Reply: Moog, tie rods, and other suspension stuff