1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Need recommendations for fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:13 PM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need recommendations for fuel injectors

Hi everyone,
can anyone tell me what company makes the best fuel injectors for my truck?
im assuming that we use Bosch....
Also,
1. is it hard to change the injectors on the right bank?
2. does the intake plenum have to be removed to get access to the right bank injectors?

this is for a 1986 Ford e-150 302

Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
I have never worked on a van, but you have to pull the whole fuel rail assembly off to get the injectors out. If you can't do that with the manifold in place, it has to come off. I had to pull the intake plenum off on my v6 ranger, I would assume you are going to have to also.

I bought my injectors off ebay. Wherever you can get them the cheapest.

I just looked on Rockauto, those things are not cheap. Is there a good reason you need to change them? I took a set to the Ford dealer and they had a injector test machine, and they charged me like $40 to check some injectors awhile back. They can check spray pattern and flow, and make sure they turn off without leaking. They also put some powerful cleaner through them with the machine also. I took the injectors off myself, so all they had to do was plug them into the machine and check them.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:33 AM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I have never worked on a van, but you have to pull the whole fuel rail assembly off to get the injectors out. If you can't do that with the manifold in place, it has to come off. I had to pull the intake plenum off on my v6 ranger, I would assume you are going to have to also.

I bought my injectors off ebay. Wherever you can get them the cheapest.

I just looked on Rockauto, those things are not cheap. Is there a good reason you need to change them? I took a set to the Ford dealer and they had a injector test machine, and they charged me like $40 to check some injectors awhile back. They can check spray pattern and flow, and make sure they turn off without leaking. They also put some powerful cleaner through them with the machine also. I took the injectors off myself, so all they had to do was plug them into the machine and check them.
hey franklin2
thank you for your response!
The reasonings behind it is that I was thinking of buying a OTC 3398 Fuel Injection Pulse Tester and test them but the access to the injectors is so tight that I figured I should just spend the time replacing them!
this van has 155,000 miles on it and I don’t think they’ve never been changed....
ill wait to hear what the other guys are saying here

Old 08-18-2018, 10:32 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just curious, do you have symptoms of bad fuel injectors, or do you have extra cash and time on your handsand want to do some preventitive maintenance ?
Injectors can be cleaned and electrically tested.
FYI; Don't buy injectors that exceed the flow rate of the stock injectors or you will flood your engine.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:30 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by THE BLUE HEAP
The reasonings behind it is that I was thinking of buying a OTC 3398 Fuel Injection Pulse Tester and test them but the access to the injectors is so tight that I figured I should just spend the time replacing them!
I had a set of injectors cleaned and tested one time (about 15 years ago) at the place linked below:

https://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html

He sends you a neat little before and after test results chart. Mind you they were for a Toyota 22RE engine, not a Ford.

There was nothing wrong with the injectors that I know of, but I was rebuilding the engine, and with everything else being new, I also wanted fresh injectors and injector seals, etc.

I wouldn't worry about them too much at 155,000 miles.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:33 PM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Hey guys thank you for all your responses!
VjSimon I just thought doing this as a maintenance...

I figured it would be a difficult job and I just wanted you guys to confirm it and you kind of did!

I looked at the wiring schematics of the fuel injectors and pins number 58 and 59 seem to control the injectors.

1. Is there anyway I can hook up a fuel injector tester to test each one separately by hooking up the tester to either the number 58 pin or 59 pin?
2. Any other way to test them with out removing them?
i dought it would work

my thought was to separately back probe each injector and use the otc injector tester to run the test....this way I don’t risk breaking the connector and it’s quicker!
any thoughts on doing it that way?

Old 08-19-2018, 03:49 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Hey guys thank you for all your responses!
VjSimon I just thought doing this as a maintenance...

I figured it would be a difficult job and I just wanted you guys to confirm it and you kind of did!

I looked at the wiring schematics of the fuel injectors and pins number 58 and 59 seem to control the injectors.

1. Is there anyway I can hook up a fuel injector tester to test each one separately by hooking up the tester to either the number 58 pin or 59 pin?
2. Any other way to test them with out removing them?
i dought it would work

my thought was to separately back probe each injector and use the otc injector tester to run the test....this way I don’t risk breaking the connector and it’s quicker!
The OTC 3398 just actuates the injector. What fails on injectors is either the spray pattern or they just quit. If they quit that cylinder will be dead. To check the spray pattern they need to be pulled and bench tested then the OTC 3398 would be handy to trigger the injector.

But at 155K miles I would not bother replacing them unless you have a dead cylinder or the cylinder balance self test shows an issue.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:32 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Another issue I have found with injectors, is that the screens get filled up with small debris that comes in through faulty fuel filters......

Old 08-19-2018, 07:46 PM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Thanks guys for all your replies!
i was watching Eric o of south main auto on YouTube he basically tested all the injectors to see which one had the lowest drop

quick question
i have a snapon mt 2500 scanner with all the personality keys and cartridges....

just wanted to confirm,
there is no way for this scanner to communicate with our (beautiful....) EEC-IV system, right???
I know guys, all we can see are the codes and a wiggle test
its so frustrating not to be able to see the perimeters I know it’s obd1 but still....

Old 08-19-2018, 11:59 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Thanks guys for all your replies!
i was watching Eric o of south main auto on YouTube he basically tested all the injectors to see which one had the lowest drop

quick question
i have a snapon mt 2500 scanner with all the personality keys and cartridges....

just wanted to confirm,
there is no way for this scanner to communicate with our (beautiful....) EEC-IV system, right???
I know guys, all we can see are the codes and a wiggle test
its so frustrating not to be able to see the perimeters I know it’s obd1 but still....

He is just flow testing the injectors, you do need to do this with Ford's as the ECU tests for it in the cylinder balance test, this is a function GM or Chryslers system did not offer and this hence the need for the above test with the OTC tool.. The Ford OBD I has much more advanced system for load calculations and fuel delivery than the GM or Chrysler system did, the ECU can tell you that same info in the cylinder balance test, plus it still does not let you see the spray patterns, something the Ford OBD I system usually picks up in the cylinder balance test if one injectors spray pattern is wonky. Ford's Pre EEC V (OBD II) systems did not offer sensor data streams to scan tools and requires a breakout box between the ECU and engine harness to read the data streams to/from each sensor/injector. The break out box has advantages as it makes it way easier to find harness faults and ECU faults as well as allowing you to read the actual the data stream. Over all the Ford system was far more reliable than what GM or Chrysler was using but it was more sensitive to ground issues.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:29 AM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
He is just flow testing the injectors, you do need to do this with Ford's as the ECU tests for it in the cylinder balance test, this is a function GM or Chryslers system did not offer and this hence the need for the above test with the OTC tool.. The Ford OBD I has much more advanced system for load calculations and fuel delivery than the GM or Chrysler system did, the ECU can tell you that same info in the cylinder balance test, plus it still does not let you see the spray patterns, something the Ford OBD I system usually picks up in the cylinder balance test if one injectors spray pattern is wonky. Ford's Pre EEC V (OBD II) systems did not offer sensor data streams to scan tools and requires a breakout box between the ECU and engine harness to read the data streams to/from each sensor/injector. The break out box has advantages as it makes it way easier to find harness faults and ECU faults as well as allowing you to read the actual the data stream. Over all the Ford system was far more reliable than what GM or Chrysler was using but it was more sensitive to ground issues.
thank you for your quick response!
yes that’s exactly what I want to do!
so I can test for cylinder contribution with the snapon mt2500???
ill hook it up tomorrow and update you guys if I was able to do the test
do u know what else can be done with this scanner besides codes and a wiggle test???

Old 08-20-2018, 01:12 AM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Quick question about SEFI
is my 1986 302 (EEC-IV) SEFI?
if so I just checked the mt2500 reference manual and the cylinder balance test can be done!

Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 AM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Quick question about SEFI
is my 1986 302 (EEC-IV) SEFI?
if so I just checked the mt2500 reference manual and the cylinder balance test can be done!
1986 5.0L is MFI.
2 banks of 4 cylinders, 4 injectors fire, then the other 4 injectors fire.

1,4,5,8 is tied to one bank and 2,3,6,7 are tied to the other bank.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:18 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
Another failure mode of a injector is it will not seal off when it's off, and may dribble or drip. There are tests you can do for this while they are still on the engine. The first thing you do is hook up a fuel pressure gauge, and run the engine, and then turn the engine off. You then watch the pressure gauge with the engine off, it should maintain pressure for a long time. If the pressure drops, you know you have a leaking fuel regulator, faulty check valve in the fuel pump, or a leaky injector. There are another set of tests to narrow it down to which one it is.

The Ford injector testor at the shop test the flow rate also. But like was said, they must come out to do all the tests with the machine they have.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:42 PM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned

Originally Posted by Franklin2
Another failure mode of a injector is it will not seal off when it's off, and may dribble or drip. There are tests you can do for this while they are still on the engine. The first thing you do is hook up a fuel pressure gauge, and run the engine, and then turn the engine off. You then watch the pressure gauge with the engine off, it should maintain pressure for a long time. If the pressure drops, you know you have a leaking fuel regulator, faulty check valve in the fuel pump, or a leaky injector. There are another set of tests to narrow it down to which one it is.

The Ford injector testor at the shop test the flow rate also. But like was said, they must come out to do all the tests with the machine they have.
Hey Franklin2
thank you for your response and right what you suggested is a good idea!!!

on a different note, for you and all the other owners of the trucks here
i just wanted to share an issue I had with my van.
the ac drain was draining on to the O2 Sensor connector
water got inside through the forth open hole of the connector
​​​​​​so I sealed the hole and added a hose to extend the drain

I suggest everyone checks their AC drain and extend it by attaching a hose that redirects the water down to the ground

Quick Reply: Need recommendations for fuel injectors