6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DEF contaminated

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:53 PM
LEGALJAVA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Never told that there would be a problem with Blue Def

When I bought my Mercedes and Ford F250 both dealers told me how great the Blue Def system was. I specifically asked both about the system. I cannot stand the smell of diesel so would have bought Gas vehicles. Both dealers said the system was great. They never told me that there would be expensive repairs for simple things. Like I said I don't think that the car companies know what they are doing regarding this Blue Def system. They blame EPA but they are the ones designing systems and making money on the repairs. The Mercedes dealerships I contacted told me it would cost $8-10,000 to replace system. They told me I could not remove it because i would be fined. Like I said above I will never buy a Ford or Mercedes again because they lied to me and they obviously do not know how to design a Blue Def system.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:14 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
isn't Blue Def just a brand of DEF fluid?

Old 12-04-2018, 04:16 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
You just got a bad part which happens the DEF system works great for millions of vehicles.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:02 PM
LEGALJAVA
New User
Ok just call it DEF SYSTEM OR **** SYSTEM

Get ready for high repairs. With Merc really high. Cost $2400 to replace $30 oil cooler on Merc. The bad Mercedes design had to take the engine out to get to it.
The guy who towed my Ford told me he towed many diesel trucks because of DEF system malfunctioning. Recommended a shop to take it out. Manager at Ford Service recommended the same thing. Said most people take it off after warranty because of an expensive repair!!!
Millions on road running great because they are removing DEF system. I should file a class action.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:33 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Most people do not take it off, most states you will not pass inspection if you delete it.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by LEGALJAVA
Get ready for high repairs. With Merc really high. Cost $2400 to replace $30 oil cooler on Merc. The bad Mercedes design had to take the engine out to get to it.
The guy who towed my Ford told me he towed many diesel trucks because of DEF system malfunctioning. Recommended a shop to take it out. Manager at Ford Service recommended the same thing. Said most people take it off after warranty because of an expensive repair!!!
Millions on road running great because they are removing DEF system. I should file a class action.
Don't be pissed off at the automakers the government is the one forcing this expensive crap on our vehicles.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:42 PM
LEGALJAVA
New User
Ford F250 Def system failure.

Ok, so I shouldn't get mad at Ford because the EPA requires a Def system? Well, the Epa didn't design or manufacture this piece of crap. I just paid $2,400 to have it replaced. That was 2 weeks ago. The Def system fault just came on saying it is going into idle mode again. Either the system is bad or the Ford Service Dept. Didn't put a new system in like they claimed. Of course it happens on a holiday weekend.... Again. Last time it was Thanksgiving. And I have it loaded with horse feed. "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."

Old 12-22-2018, 04:58 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd be pissed too.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:22 PM
LEGALJAVA
New User
Class Action Lawsuit for defective Def systems.

I am going to have an expert look at it. I am considering a class action lawsuit. Anyone want to join. I know I am not the only one.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:55 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
We don't discuss Lawsuits and such here.

I do feel for you. My truck is over 5 years old and it has never had a problem with any of the emissions components.

When you put def in it, do you let it run down too <200 miles to empty first? Then do a complete fill? That is what I do and I has always worked fine.

What year is your truck? There is an extended warranty on some of the DEF/SCR components right now for certain year vehicles.

For the Mercedes, All I can say is that is the price you pay for the any of the imports. Buy American and the parts are sourced here. Plus they are generally easier to repair.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:23 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Thus is why I think I’m about to delete all this crap off my truck. I just don’t want the headaches.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thankfully I have a decent dealer. 2 weeks after I bought my truck (used 2013 from a used car lot 100 miles away) my check engine light came on. I was terrified. Took it to my local Ford dealer. They tested the DEF and found that it was Motorcraft DEF. They drained and flushed the system under the emissions system warranty. 2 weeks later, check engine light. They replaced the sensor under the emissions system warranty. A week later, check engine light. They said screw it, replaced the entire DEF system under the emissions warranty, haven't had a problem since. There was no BS with part of the warranty or not. Because of this dealership and what they did with my DEF problem I wound up purchasing the bumper to bumper $4,000+ extended warranty and happily handed them the $100.00+ fee they charged me to "inspect" the truck to make sure they could put it under the warranty. I always use Motorcraft DEF and always, as big a PIA that it is, add it myself after I get the 200 mile warning.

I'll have to agree with Mebe2k on the dealers. Some of them just suck. I really don't get why Ford can't get their arms around these guys and make them all the same when it comes to this stuff. IMHO - will your truck pass emissions if your DEF system fails? Than it ought to be covered under the emissions system warranty unless gross negligence can be proven, and that's not by rubbing DEF between your fingers.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 PM
LEGALJAVA
New User
3rd Time DEF system goes down in last 4 months

Ok... driving out of town and Def system warning just came on. I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I can only go 50 miles. It will take me more than that to get home.
Dealership already replaced it for $2,400. Then a few weeks later it again went down and had to be towed. This is number 3 in 4 months. I guess I will take it in one more time. Then I am going to probably have it removed. I am afraid to drive out of town. Not sure if I will make it home tonight.
Obviously Ford doesn't know what they are doing with def system. I wasted $2,400 having it fixed. I would trade it in on a gas engine but that will just cost too much since it has lost so much value since I bought it in 2015. Ford has been the biggest waste of money. Especially since they made such a poor design. We can blame EPA but they didn't build or design the system.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 AM
U9000
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody else remember the cars from the 1973/74 vintage? Remember how bad the egr systems were back then? How about the early O2 sensor and catalytic converter systems? They were essentially all terrible! I remember lots of folks having major drivability issues with their cars after a accumulating some mileage, typically anywhere from 25k to 50k miles. Some cars didn't have a single issue, but some wouldn't run no matter what you did to them. There were lots of "unauthorized" fixes done at the time. Brand did not matter, every manufacturer had issues.

This is the stage we're at with the diesels. Brand doesn't matter, technology does. The current technology does not relate to a universally reliable egr and def system. In a few years we won't see any issues. In 30 years, they'll be great systems (though I hope it won't take that long). But that's why many of us are having huge issues with our trucks. Of course, we also have to factor in unscrupulous dealers. So some are having multiple issues and spending thousands, when it should be failing under an emissions warranty or only requiring 1 repair. Those of us in emissions testing states are at the mercy of either the dealers or taking matters into our own hands, learning the systems and fixing them ourselves to keep them intact.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:27 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
At least there are those of us that want to keep smog equipment on our trucks. So far mine has zero problems. I did however get the 500 mile to limp mode and I was towing my 5th wheel. It was driving me crazy. I filled the DEF tank but the light wouldn't go away. I unhooked the batteries and that did nothing. So in the way to our next stop I was planing to go to the dealer. As luck would have it the light went away with 200 miles left. Since that happened to me I now know what to do and don't panic.
As for the OP's original post not sure where he is getting his DPF. Not sure how the DPF is contaminated and with what. His truck is still under warranty so why did he spend money on something that is defiantly covered? Doesn't the dealer have to prove that the DPF was bad? Aren't they required to take a sample and have it tested? Does the dealership have the things to do this test? I think this dealership is a scam artist. I would call customer service
https://www.ford.com/help/contact/