Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:18 PM
SemperFi3054
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015+ F-150 lariat Panoramic Sunroof broken/leak

2015 F-150
HELP!!

The original incident that began the sunroof issue, was in March 2018 on a Sunday( Ford was closed). I was driving my 2015 F150 Lariat in Brewerton NY 13029, when my passenger reached up and pressed the button to open the sunroof per the Ford manual and while in movement a black piece of plastic shot off from the passenger side, hitting me, while I was driving, on the right side of the face. I pulled over and inspected the area that the piece appeared to come from, which appeared to be a black plastic arm that operated the front piece of glass. I then pressed the button to close the sun roof due to inclement weather conditions expected later in the day, I wanted to make sure that it closed. The sunroof made a popping noice twice while closing but it closed completely and seemed secure.
The next day, Monday, I called my local Ford dealer contact number which includes their service department, and spoke with a female, I asked to speak with service and was told that service was closed. Due to my work schedule and 12 hour shifts, I had missed them. I explained my problem and how my bumper to bumper warranty will expire on that coming Thursday and she stated I was fine to come in right after work that day if I got there soon. I took her word.
Upon arrival to the service department, I was approached by The service manager and I explained what had happened and showed him the broken pieces which he retained for further review. After several minutes later of viewing pictures and investigating, I was told that I would have a hard time going

on the Ford bumper to bumper warranty due to it being the last day of the warranty being in effect, and it being so late in the day. I was stumped by this, Manager then asked if I had an extended warranty and I replied yes, through AUL, and provided the documentation John then advised me to use the extended warranty. I trusted him, the service manager, believing that he would advocate for me, the customer, as I believe any business should do.
This appears to be where the situation took a horrible turn for me and my outlook on That dealership and Ford, the company itself. The manager stated that the parts would be ordered and I would be contacted to schedule an appointment. The parts took some time to come in and when they did we had conflicting schedule times with my work schedule, service openings, and me needing a loaner vehicle. Once I returned from a trip out of town, I was able to get my truck in for repair, and still no loaner, but was told it would not take too long to get it back to me. Not much longer after dropping it off, I received a phone call stating the part was sent back and that they would have to re-order it. So I was set up with another further out appointment with a loaner vehicle. I’ll be clear when I state that during this time the sunroof DID NOT LEAK, it has not ever leaked until The local Ford dealer “repaired” the broken plastic piece.
When I finally dropped my truck off, in the duration of time it was there, I received many phone calls stating they were having trouble with this and that and my warranty company approving items. I then received a call from the service department stating it was all taken care of.

Upon them receiving my vehicle it took roughly two weeks to be completed, when I picked it up I found it to have dirty oil finger prints and what appeared to be part of a boot print and broken tabs on the driver support handle. I had to point all of this out on one of the hottest summer days and be forced to wait even longer for my vehicle to be cleaned and returned to its condition that it was dropped off in.
7/2/18, Days later, I had a wet spot on my ceiling in the back of the truck which appeared to be due to my sunroof leaking. The sunshade is also extremely loose now and flaps erratically when the windows are down while driving. I immediately called the dealer and got it in a few days later. They stated this happens and it just needs to be adjusted.
Once it was supposedly fixed I received a phone call to come pick it up. I noticed they didn’t do anything to the sunshade and they stated they were looking into it and why it was so loose. Not much longer after that, on 7/24/18, I got into my truck after working a 12 hour shift to find my truck completely soaked from a leak that appeared to be coming from the same spot as before.
I contacted the service department as soon as they opened and spoke with the service manger and he advised me it wouldn’t be until Monday that I could get in to get it fixed/looked at so I should try and park it inside if I could. The next day I HAD to use my truck, which I pay $707 a month to drive, to make a trip to Lowe’s so I jumped in my soaking wet truck, and ran to Lowe’s. In a short 25 minute trip to Lowe’s, I returned to a truck that might as well have had all the windows down and sunroof wide open. I called the ford dealer again, and stated I

needed to get it in right then and they needed to figure it out. The manager called me back, told me they could put me in a loaner and told me they would call my warranty company again and try and get some different parts approved. I dropped the truck off. The warranty company refused to pay for anything additional.
The manger then recommended I go through my car insurance company for the repair which totaled $3067.05. I stated I didn’t understand why I needed to go on my insurance company for something I didn’t break, especially while under bumper to bumper warranty. Now it’s still broken and I’m told I need to pay 3k to fix it again. The manager has stated repeatedly that it was repaired according to Ford’s specs. If this was the case, why was I not warned or told that there was a possibility that the glass, seal, sunshade, or all these other parts that keep on popping up would need to be replaced in order to complete the job properly? I could have made an informed decision if I had all the facts. The truck was fine, it was not leaking until I brought it to get the plastic piece repaired.
Now I have a water damaged truck and $3K bill. We are now in August, FIVE months have gone by and you’ve had my truck for a considerable amount of time, which I pay a hefty monthly payment for and haven’t been able to drive it. Why should I come out of pocket for something I didn’t break. I brought you a truck with less then 30k miles, with a broken plastic piece and a sunroof that did NOT leak, and made it through many rainy days and storms, and then all of a sudden after the supposed “fix” I have an ongoing leak and I’m being told it’s my responsibility to pay for the repair.

The manger specifically states Ford says it is what it is basically as far as the sunshade being loose and if I want that fixed I have to buy a new one of those two which worked fine before they touched my truck.
Sent from my iPhone

Old 08-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Based on your GPS coordinates, did you go to Burdick Ford dealership?

Your bumper-to-bumper warranty should have covered this in the first place!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by SemperFi3054

2015 F-150
HELP!!

The original incident that began the sunroof issue, was in March 2018 on a Sunday( Ford was closed). I was driving my 2015 F150 Lariat in Brewerton NY 13029, when my passenger reached up and pressed the button to open the sunroof per the Ford manual and while in movement a black piece of plastic shot off from the passenger side, hitting me, while I was driving, on the right side of the face. I pulled over and inspected the area that the piece appeared to come from, which appeared to be a black plastic arm that operated the front piece of glass. I then pressed the button to close the sun roof due to inclement weather conditions expected later in the day, I wanted to make sure that it closed. The sunroof made a popping noice twice while closing but it closed completely and seemed secure.
The next day, Monday, I called my local Ford dealer contact number which includes their service department, and spoke with a female, I asked to speak with service and was told that service was closed. Due to my work schedule and 12 hour shifts, I had missed them. I explained my problem and how my bumper to bumper warranty will expire on that coming Thursday and she stated I was fine to come in right after work that day if I got there soon. I took her word.
Upon arrival to the service department, I was approached by The service manager and I explained what had happened and showed him the broken pieces which he retained for further review. After several minutes later of viewing pictures and investigating, I was told that I would have a hard time going

on the Ford bumper to bumper warranty due to it being the last day of the warranty being in effect, and it being so late in the day. I was stumped by this, Manager then asked if I had an extended warranty and I replied yes, through AUL, and provided the documentation John then advised me to use the extended warranty. I trusted him, the service manager, believing that he would advocate for me, the customer, as I believe any business should do.
This appears to be where the situation took a horrible turn for me and my outlook on That dealership and Ford, the company itself. The manager stated that the parts would be ordered and I would be contacted to schedule an appointment. The parts took some time to come in and when they did we had conflicting schedule times with my work schedule, service openings, and me needing a loaner vehicle. Once I returned from a trip out of town, I was able to get my truck in for repair, and still no loaner, but was told it would not take too long to get it back to me. Not much longer after dropping it off, I received a phone call stating the part was sent back and that they would have to re-order it. So I was set up with another further out appointment with a loaner vehicle. I’ll be clear when I state that during this time the sunroof DID NOT LEAK, it has not ever leaked until The local Ford dealer “repaired” the broken plastic piece.
When I finally dropped my truck off, in the duration of time it was there, I received many phone calls stating they were having trouble with this and that and my warranty company approving items. I then received a call from the service department stating it was all taken care of.

Upon them receiving my vehicle it took roughly two weeks to be completed, when I picked it up I found it to have dirty oil finger prints and what appeared to be part of a boot print and broken tabs on the driver support handle. I had to point all of this out on one of the hottest summer days and be forced to wait even longer for my vehicle to be cleaned and returned to its condition that it was dropped off in.
7/2/18, Days later, I had a wet spot on my ceiling in the back of the truck which appeared to be due to my sunroof leaking. The sunshade is also extremely loose now and flaps erratically when the windows are down while driving. I immediately called the dealer and got it in a few days later. They stated this happens and it just needs to be adjusted.
Once it was supposedly fixed I received a phone call to come pick it up. I noticed they didn’t do anything to the sunshade and they stated they were looking into it and why it was so loose. Not much longer after that, on 7/24/18, I got into my truck after working a 12 hour shift to find my truck completely soaked from a leak that appeared to be coming from the same spot as before.
I contacted the service department as soon as they opened and spoke with the service manger and he advised me it wouldn’t be until Monday that I could get in to get it fixed/looked at so I should try and park it inside if I could. The next day I HAD to use my truck, which I pay $707 a month to drive, to make a trip to Lowe’s so I jumped in my soaking wet truck, and ran to Lowe’s. In a short 25 minute trip to Lowe’s, I returned to a truck that might as well have had all the windows down and sunroof wide open. I called the ford dealer again, and stated I

needed to get it in right then and they needed to figure it out. The manager called me back, told me they could put me in a loaner and told me they would call my warranty company again and try and get some different parts approved. I dropped the truck off. The warranty company refused to pay for anything additional.
The manger then recommended I go through my car insurance company for the repair which totaled $3067.05. I stated I didn’t understand why I needed to go on my insurance company for something I didn’t break, especially while under bumper to bumper warranty. Now it’s still broken and I’m told I need to pay 3k to fix it again. The manager has stated repeatedly that it was repaired according to Ford’s specs. If this was the case, why was I not warned or told that there was a possibility that the glass, seal, sunshade, or all these other parts that keep on popping up would need to be replaced in order to complete the job properly? I could have made an informed decision if I had all the facts. The truck was fine, it was not leaking until I brought it to get the plastic piece repaired.
Now I have a water damaged truck and $3K bill. We are now in August, FIVE months have gone by and you’ve had my truck for a considerable amount of time, which I pay a hefty monthly payment for and haven’t been able to drive it. Why should I come out of pocket for something I didn’t break. I brought you a truck with less then 30k miles, with a broken plastic piece and a sunroof that did NOT leak, and made it through many rainy days and storms, and then all of a sudden after the supposed “fix” I have an ongoing leak and I’m being told it’s my responsibility to pay for the repair.

The manger specifically states Ford says it is what it is basically as far as the sunshade being loose and if I want that fixed I have to buy a new one of those two which worked fine before they touched my truck.
Sent from my iPhone
Sorry to hear about the problems you`re having but many owners of these Panoramic Sun Roofs have had problems that are well documented. The plastic part that came off after your passenger opened the sun roof was more than likely the beginning of this known problem.

I know you`re frustrated but you have to take on some of the blame for not taking your vehicle in before the 3/36K expiration and also for taking the word of the woman at the dealership who said that you`d be fine to bring it in after said expiration date. Another thing to remember is that the non Ford extended warranty is totally up to that company to pay for repairs so if additional parts are required then they`ll either pay or you`ll have to pay out of your own pocket. This is a prime example of why an OEM`s extended warranty is better than a "non" OEM extended warranty.

Last but not least, if you need a loaner vehicle because of a warranty repair or additional repairs, that`s a dealer by dealer option and non of them are "required" to provide a loaner vehicle but some dealers do as a customer perk. Loaner vehicles can be included on some extended warranties but it sounds like you didn`t include it on yours if offered.

I hope you`re able to get everything fixed but you must start by actually taking time out of your busy work schedule to get your vehicle fixed as well as not taking the word of people on the phone because it it`s not in writing, it never happened.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:02 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
It sounds like your biggest issue in all this is the dealer. They should have simply put this in as a standard warranty claim on your original bumper-to-bumper coverage. Not only is your B2B coverage good for the stated timeline, it can even cover certain items later, that are notated within the warranty period. To go even a step further....Ford sometimes covers issues under warranty even just after just after the warranty expires.

It's not your fault when the item broke, so you showing up on the last day of warranty isn't an issue at all. They can enter your issue in the computer on the last day, at the last minute of warranty.You are within warranty or you are not within warranty. You were there within the warranty period, therefore the sunroof was under warranty.

My wife and I just went to Costco on the very last day our card was good....they didn't turn us away.

All that said, you're going to have to fight the dealership. I see no way around it. Sorry.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:35 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Tell the service manager at that dealer that you want to speak with a Ford product representative about the issue. Have him call and make contact while you are in his office. Then ask to speak to the rep.

If you are correct about the truck still being under Ford’s warranty at the time you brought this to their attention, Ford should have covered the repair. By your account, the dealer sounds as if it’s poorly managed and has sloppy techs. I wouldn’t want them to touch my truck again. But Ford will hold the dealer responsible for the damage they caused.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:58 PM
SemperFi3054
New User
Yes it was Burdick Ford and I was told he attempted to sumbmit it under the bumper to bumper after I raised hell about it and said they still declined it due to the sun roof not being covered

Old 08-09-2018, 01:01 PM
SemperFi3054
New User
Originally Posted by Wiggums
Based on your GPS coordinates, did you go to Burdick Ford dealership?

Your bumper-to-bumper warranty should have covered this in the first place!
Yes it was Burdick Ford and I was told he attempted to sumbmit it under the bumper to bumper after I raised hell about it and said they still declined it due to the sun roof not being covered

Old 08-09-2018, 01:22 PM
SemperFi3054
New User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Sorry to hear about the problems you`re having but many owners of these Panoramic Sun Roofs have had problems that are well documented. The plastic part that came off after your passenger opened the sun roof was more than likely the beginning of this known problem.

I know you`re frustrated but you have to take on some of the blame for not taking your vehicle in before the 3/36K expiration and also for taking the word of the woman at the dealership who said that you`d be fine to bring it in after said expiration date. Another thing to remember is that the non Ford extended warranty is totally up to that company to pay for repairs so if additional parts are required then they`ll either pay or you`ll have to pay out of your own pocket. This is a prime example of why an OEM`s extended warranty is better than a "non" OEM extended warranty.

Last but not least, if you need a loaner vehicle because of a warranty repair or additional repairs, that`s a dealer by dealer option and non of them are "required" to provide a loaner vehicle but some dealers do as a customer perk. Loaner vehicles can be included on some extended warranties but it sounds like you didn`t include it on yours if offered.

I hope you`re able to get everything fixed but you must start by actually taking time out of your busy work schedule to get your vehicle fixed as well as not taking the word of people on the phone because it it`s not in writing, it never happened.
i did take it in before my B2B expired it was on the last day! As far as not taking work off to deal with it I was informed by and employee that I was fine to bring it in then so that’s what I did and regardless he said if I brought it in a week before that Ford would have still denied it.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:54 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Just one more reason not to spend the $$$ on the pana roof. Never been a fan of a hole in the roof.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:17 PM
SemperFi3054
New User
Originally Posted by CR172
Just one more reason not to spend the $$$ on the pana roof. Never been a fan of a hole in the roof.
Right!! I’ll never buy a Ford product with a sunroof again. Same day I brought mine in the second time a 2018 f-250 platinum pulled up with a center consul full of water from a leak. Crazy! The whole assembly seems like junk

Old 08-09-2018, 02:57 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by SemperFi3054

Right!! I’ll never buy a Ford product with a sunroof again. Same day I brought mine in the second time a 2018 f-250 platinum pulled up with a center consul full of water from a leak. Crazy! The whole assembly seems like junk
I won't buy ANY vehicle with a sunroof.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I won't buy ANY vehicle with a sunroof.
I had to choose between 2 nearly identical trucks...same color and options. One was 2wd with the sunroof, the other was 4wd without a sunroof.
Even though I rarely have a use for 4wd, that's what I chose. I didn't know about the sunroof problems. I made my decision based on a hail storm we had that broke everyone's sunroofs.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:51 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
........ I made my decision based on a hail storm we had that broke everyone's sunroofs.
Then there is that. We do get some mighty hail storms around these parts.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:52 AM
yellowboy
Senior User
This is another example of many dealers pathetic attitude towards customers - "we won't fix it if we don't have to or even go to bat for you who spent allot of money here........even if Ford pays for it".

Seems all too common with Ford dealerships.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
CR172, I agree with you 100%.

Quick Reply: 2015+ F-150 lariat Panoramic Sunroof broken/leak