1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:12 AM
Old Bobcat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See!? This is why I so appreciate this forum. Ha! Thanks man. I has no clue.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:52 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
J is Monte Carlo Red in 1959, 1960 and 1961.
J is Rangoon Red starting in 1962.

They are different codes than each other so not the same color renamed in this case.

Chad

Old 08-02-2018, 07:26 PM
RangerMercMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TA455HO
J is Monte Carlo Red in 1959, 1960 and 1961.
J is Rangoon Red starting in 1962.

They are different codes than each other so not the same color renamed in this case.

Chad
Thats why I stick to the 66's usually. Thanks for the info. The op is still looking for a full tag decode I believe. I also googled Corinthian White and it does appear creamy. I was thinking of the pure white paint code. Sorry

Old 08-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Old Bobcat
Junior User
Everyone, thanks for the info.

RangerMercMan, correct; I am still looking for a full decode of the warranty tag. I created a separate thread for it, whenever someone gets time. No rush.

I used this site for the color.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1961&manuf=Ford

Old 08-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Old Bobcat
Junior User
Just wanted to say TA455HO helped me out on figuring out the tag into the other thread. (Thanks Chad.)

Only 947 of these babies made in 1961. Its so validating to see what you have, or what your suppose to have... Time will tell....

Old 08-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Old Bobcat
Junior User
1961 350 flareside questions

[QUOTE=Old Bobcat;18112586

it ran before my dad got sick and passed but now it wont. Pretty sure its electrical.

[/QUOTE]

Long post, sorry I'm excited.

So, an update and plenty of questions. The search tool on this site is kinda tough for me to navigate and I didn't have much luck.

Even though I still dont have the truck at home I searched for a set of 19.5x7.25 rims for sale and they are on the way (shortly). Couldn't pass them up after looking around. (Thanks again Stu and Fastenal shipping is very affordable and easy so far, FYI) What brand of 8r19.5 tires are most people running? The prices vary alot. What brand would have came on the truck? I don't plan on traveling a ton of miles. Just to the local cruise-in, etc... Budget isnt a huge issue, as I'm taking my time on a truck that's very solid but $600 vs $1700 for tires is a large gap.

I've been told that the rims are to be gloss black. I might try to clean up and paint or send away for powder coat. Will the powder coat preserve them better? What do you guys suggest for longevity? Maybe an Eastwood product?

Ive been told my mirrors are to be gray. Is that M1371 Silver gray? For such small parts, anyone have a spray can suggestion or a close match?

My white parts should be Corinthian white. Some have said dont mess with it but it really bugs me. I'll tackle later but any info appreciated.

I also have been told that the seat should be black vinyl grain pattern. I have no idea what seat is in it. I'm guessing an 80s or 90s ford. It bugs me too, but again, I'll tackle later.

Headliner. I remember the family bought dad one from LMC for xmas a long time ago but he then put the foam-backed headliner cloth on it. What's it suppose to be? Painted black like the seat? White? Left alone? I dunno. Not a ton of pics of interior I can find.

Parts. I know of "big box" places, LMC, Dennis Carpenter, and rock auto. Any other suggestions? This should be a sticky imho if it's not already. Just a suggestion. If it is somewhere, I didn't see it.

Along the same lines, manuels... shoukd I get the shop manual from Amazon? Any other docs to get or sites to visit?

The big question... why won't she run? While my dad was restoring, I remember him melting a coil or two. After reading, I'm guessing (and hoping) this was due to leaving the key on. It sat for about 4-6 months before I tried to start it to keep things lubricated. I couldn't get spark at the plug. It would turn over with a charge and I know it ran before dad got sick after a total rebuild on the locked up 223. When I get to her, I plan on replacing the coil and battery. Any other suggestions so I can plan for it?

Hopefully I'll have pics of the engine compartment soon.

It's frustrating for me that's she is so far away, (I have a stupid work schedule) so I can imagine how frustrating you all are that I can't give a ton of info. Your patience is appreciated.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Here is a link to a thread that may help with the no spark/melted coil problem. I believe the voltage at the coil should be 6.6 volts or less anything over that and this wire may be bad. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ance-wire.html

As far as getting your truck home U-Haul rents some really good car hauling trailers but they can be picky about what you are going to tow them with. I have a trailer of my own but I still rent one from them if I have to travel very far that way if it breaks they fix it.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
I haven't done a color match of the outside mirrors yet, but it's a fairly light gray. Here's some different pictures of a couple of different styles. They all seem to be the same gray, just the lighting changes some from picture to picture.

Chad

Old 08-12-2018, 01:07 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Bobcat
Even though I still dont have the truck at home I searched for a set of 19.5x7.25 rims for sale and they are on the way (shortly). Couldn't pass them up after looking around. (Thanks again Stu and Fastenal shipping is very affordable and easy so far, FYI) What brand of 8r19.5 tires are most people running? The prices vary alot. What brand would have came on the truck? (Probably Firestone Transport 110 bias ply 8-19.5”). I don't plan on traveling a ton of miles. Just to the local cruise-in, etc... Budget isnt a huge issue, as I'm taking my time on a truck that's very solid but $600 vs $1700 for tires is a large gap.

I've been told that the rims are to be gloss black. I might try to clean up and paint or send away for powder coat. Will the powder coat preserve them better? What do you guys suggest for longevity?
I mentioned to Matt that this set of 70740s is probably the nicest set I’ve ever found. They are 5.25” wide, though, not 7.25”. They are painted black on the face only so I would suggest blasting and powder coating black to protect the concave sides. Shiney, but probably not too shiney imho. The 8R19.5” is the size of choice to match the 7.50-17” bias plies, and as said prices are everywhere on the map. Samsons are rated pretty well and are pretty inexpensive. Here is one for $120 each. You’ll probably never wear out whichever set you buy.

https://www.speedytire.com/tires/sam...SABEgLzuvD_BwE

Old 08-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Old Bobcat
Junior User
Cropduster,

yeah, I was going to use uhaul. Thank you for the suggestion. The full trailer is just a little heavy but I dont trust the tires on old girl to use a dolly. We'll see. I'll be towing with my 04 fx4 crew cab with a factory hitch.

​​​​​​Chad, thanks for the pics of the mirrors. It looks more of a stone gray than primer gray in the photos and is it a semi-gloss finish?

Stu, thanks for chiming in here. To be clear, your saying leave the fronts of the rims alone and have the rear only powder coated a semi black?

Old 08-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Old Bobcat
Junior User
Originally Posted by Crop Duster
Here is a link to a thread that may help with the no spark/melted coil problem. I believe the voltage at the coil should be 6.6 volts or less anything over that and this wire may be bad. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ance-wire.html

As far as getting your truck home U-Haul rents some really good car hauling trailers but they can be picky about what you are going to tow them with. I have a trailer of my own but I still rent one from them if I have to travel very far that way if it breaks they fix it.
thanks for the link. I'll check that out as well!

Old 08-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I put Sampson's on my F4 and was really happy with them. Got them at Discount Tire mounted, balanced and with tax they were $161.42 each. So those Stu showed are a better deal at $120 each.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:32 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
No, blasting would take the paint off the front as well as taking the surface rust off the back. Powder coating the wheels fully (front, back, and inner rim) would be the answer.

That price doesn’t include shipping, Joe, so there might be similar cost overall. Stu

Old 08-12-2018, 03:35 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Matt - While we’re on the subject of 70740s, you said to me that you’d still like to find another one for a spare. Our 1955 friend Dave from NE has been down the road you are traveling, and you’ll read in the attached thread that he now I believe has six if my memory serves. One of the original ones he found has some rust issues, but I know it was in use when I found him the other two. He may be willing to part with it if it’s only to be a spare. He also describes what the guy in WA wants for his. Perhaps a pm to Dave would solve the need. Stu

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-70740-a.html

Old 08-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Old Bobcat
Junior User
Stu, ok, blasting the front and back makes WAY more sense to me. I thought maybe you were suggesting to save the front patina? I dunno. Anyway, I understand now.

Also, thanks for the info on the spare. Btw, earlier I meant 7.25 bolt pattern, not width but I can see how my sentence was confusing. Also thanks for the Sampson tire info.

Joe, thanks too. Did you do a more aggressive traction tire on the back and more of a road tire on the front? That's how mine is now and I have seen it in other 350s.

Quick Reply: New to the forum