1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 Ford engine swap advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 06:14 PM
Cole Stanley
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 Ford engine swap advice

I'm replacing the original flathead 6 engine and tranny in my 1950 ford f2 with a 1976 302 and a c6 transmission. I plan to do the swap myself and was wondering if anyone out there has done a similar swap and might have any specific advice on what they ran into.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:54 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Cole Stanley
I'm replacing the original flathead 6 engine and tranny in my 1950 ford f2 with a 1976 302 and a c6 transmission. I plan to do the swap myself and was wondering if anyone out there has done a similar swap and might have any specific advice on what they ran into.
Cole, I can't help you but I want to welcome you to FTE the best Ford truck Forum on the world wide web! There should be some guys here that can help you.

In the mean time show us pictures of your truck and tell us about it.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:03 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Cole, welcome to FTE from me too. There are lots of guys here that have done it and done it over... they will be along shortly.. it's not a major deal .,.. a 302 will fit nicely and push your truck well. Here';s an article on general info that may or may not be helpful

later
john

https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/en...e_mounting.htm

Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
The 302 is a great engine for these trucks and fits nicely in the space. The C6, on the other hand, has it's share of issues. It's a great transmission, one of the best ever made, but robs a lot of horsepower and was intended for use behind big block engines with a lot more hp and torque to spare. It will turn the 302 into a dog. It's also very large compared to an AOD or C4, and may require surgery on the floor or frame to make fit. My 2c, fwiw.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 PM
Cole Stanley
Trailering
Originally Posted by abe
Cole, I can't help you but I want to welcome you to FTE the best Ford truck Forum on the world wide web! There should be some guys here that can help you.

In the mean time show us pictures of your truck and tell us about it.
I've been looking for antique car or truck for a couple years now to restore as my way of preserving a bit of the past, but all I've seen before this one was either out of my price range or beyond repair, I finally found got this one from a farmer who'd had it for years with plans to restore it but not enough time or energy, he was exited to pass it on to someone with plans to finish it so he even helped me get it home. I'm no auto mechanic but I've a basic understanding and have been researching and labeling all the connections in the engine compartment for two weeks trying to get it ready to hook up the 302, but I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'm gonna mount it and how to make the transmission work, so I thought I'd ask and see who might have a better idea.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:06 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Hi Cole,
Welcome to FTE. I am not using the 302/C6 combination that you have planned rather the original flathead V8 with a Ford 4R70W automatic on my 1950 F2. I chose that automatic as it eliminates the fiddly throttle cable and is all electronic. The only down side is that your wiring harnesses get bigger. But since we have lots of room in these trucks it is not a problem. The only piece of advice that I can give you is that you will probably want to move your radiator assembly and front mount to the rear V8 holes vs the front I6 holes.

Also always remember that we like pictures.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Cole Stanley
Trailering
Thanks a lot guys, I always appreciate all the help I can get.

Last edited by Cole Stanley; 07-26-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: already stated some of the info
Old 07-26-2018, 06:48 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Where are you located? Could use some parts off the Flathead 6 if you're nearby.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Cole Stanley
Trailering
Originally Posted by ct50f1
Where are you located? Could use some parts off the Flathead 6 if you're nearby.
Sorry i'm Quite far from Connecticut, Minnesota

Old 07-26-2018, 07:11 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Sorry i'm Quite far from Connecticut, Minnesota
Well, if you're not going to sell the whole engine and are willing to part it out, let me know. If it has a decent exhaust manifold, I'd be interested.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:54 PM
Cole Stanley
Trailering
Originally Posted by ct50f1
Well, if you're not going to sell the whole engine and are willing to part it out, let me know. If it has a decent exhaust manifold, I'd be interested.
Sorry Dan, it's missing the exhaust manifold and I know they're not easy to find. that's why I'm replacing the engine with the 302, parts are everywhere. I'll be Taking what's left of the 6 cylinder to a swap meet.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:59 AM
gogoat
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Similar build

I have done a couple of similar builds. Perfect engine and plenty of parts and choices. I used a AOD, but maybe would of researched more on other options.
Good luck

Old 07-27-2018, 08:10 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The easiest way to mount a small block Ford in one of these trucks is to use one of these:

and the best deal I've seen on them is here:
https://www.ebay.com/i/172316715198?chn=ps

That crossmember uses late 1966 Mustang 289 motor mounts to attach to any small block Ford. The Mustang mounts are cheap and easy to get. I just bought a pair recently on RockAuto for less than $5 apiece. There are several different styles and depths of transmission crossmembers available also. You can easily offset the powertrain package an inch or so to the passenger side with that crossmember also - something that you may well find is necessary to get adequate exhaust/steering box clearance. Just remember to keep the engine and transmission running straight and parallel to the frame. Offset but parallel = no problem. Engine and transmission not parallel to the frame = driveline vibration problems.

Even though the original transmission crossmember in your F2 has a wide transmission passthrough, you might still need to smokewrench it to get that C6 crammed in there. That tranny is a behemoth and may not fit through it. Besides just holding up the transmission and mounting the pedals/master cylinder, the original crossmember provides critical support to the mid-section of the frame that keeps the rails tied together at the top and bottom to prevent them from twisting. That must be added back in correctly with the replacement crossmember or else your running boards will feel more like diving boards when you stand on them and you'll risk permanent damage to the frame from road flex. And I do agree with Wayne. That C6 would probably be my absolute last choice for an automatic transmission. It is a great transmission, but way to much for a 302 - sort of the equivalent to driving an 18 wheeler 3 blocks to the local 7-Eleven to pick up a gallon of milk. It'll get the job done, but there are much better alternatives. Unless it has been changed, your truck has a Timken rear axle with a 4.56:1 or so gear ratio. That was great for an underpowered 6-banger with a stick shift in a 3/4 ton work truck, but it's awfully low for a decent 302 and an automatic transmission. If you're going to the trouble to do the swap, you should really consider a transmission with an overdrive gear. An older all-hydraulic AOD would be a good choice of you don't want to mess with a bunch of wiring. The electronically-shifted descendants of the AOD are the AOD-E and the 4R70W which Pete mentioned. They would also be great choices, but either will require a $700 electronics package and a day's worth of wiring to make them work behind an old school carbureted 302.

Another option would be to keep the C6 and swap the rear axle out for one with a better gear ratio instead. A Dana 60 out of a '67-'72 F-250 is nearly a bolt-in swap and the ratio in those units is often a more highway -friendly 3.73:1. It's something to think about. I can almost guarantee that you will not be at all happy with the top speed or drivability of the truck with a 302, C6, and that axle.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Cole Stanley
Trailering
Thank you, that's a lot of the information I was looking for, I knew I would eventually have to swap the rear end but it's so far ahead of where I'm at right now I was gonna make that a separate thread. The c6 Came with the 302 and I was hoping i would be able to make it work but I can find used AOD's or c4 transmissions decently priced so I think I'll go with one of those and skip the hassle of trying to make it fit. you've been a big help, I'm glad you responded and thanks for all the info.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:35 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Sorry Dan, it's missing the exhaust manifold and I know they're not easy to find. that's why I'm replacing the engine with the 302, parts are everywhere. I'll be Taking what's left of the 6 cylinder to a swap meet.
Good luck trying to sell it at the swap meet. I'm not sure there's much of a market for the sixes. Like you, a lot of people end up swiping them out for a V-8,

Quick Reply: 1950 Ford engine swap advice