2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

EXT Cab or Crew Cab and why???

Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Kuboita
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXT Cab or Crew Cab and why???

I'm in the process of a Ford buyback on my 17 F150 and have decided to upgrade to a F250. Pops always had one as a kid so I'm familiar with the older Superduties.

I LOVE the look of the Ext cab but I am torn between the practically of the crew cab. Also slightly worried the extra 12" wheelbase will really feel like a big jump.

Soooo.... lets hear some reasons for why you went with the cab configuration you did???

Yes i realize this is completely subjective, but I'm interested your cab config and why. Maybe I'm missing some points or things that I'll regret later.

-Mike

Old 07-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Kegme13
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote is for the CC. My 2000 250 was an EC and I loved it, but when I upgraded to the '17 i went with a CC and I havn't looked back. Its a bit of a pricey up grade at roughly two grand but the amount a space you gain in invaluable

Old 07-19-2018, 04:16 PM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Extened Cab. + With three people in the truck, at least your not seated three across. - Leg room is only adequate for small children, or people you don't like. - Rear door arrangement is stupid. - Lack of a B pillar.

Crew Cab. + Ample leg room in back seat even for adults. + Real doors in back + B pillar for safety.

As for wheelbase, Its a truck, its longer than modern parking lots are really designed for if you get anything other than a regular cab short bed.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:19 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The crew cab has unforeseen pluses. We took my SIL with us to a funeral in Dallas, a six hour drive.
The Tundra Crewmax allowed her to lay down and rest as she has done a swell job of destroying her body. Neck, spine and sundry of other injuries left her well not very mobile.
So a crew cab has way more pluses then minus points. Well YMMV but others will jump in.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Slimbone
Junior User
If you care about the people that ride in the back seat, get the crew cab. If not, get the extended cab. I currently have a Silverado double cab which is pretty similar to a Ford extended cab. The back seat is miserable to ride in for any distance. I have a 350 crew cab on order to replace it.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Kuboita
New User
Awesome responses guys! Just what I'm looking for.

I sort of figured the CC would be the preferred choice. I think it really makes sense. It's only me and the GF now, but I'm sure she has kids and car seats planned not too far down the road.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:49 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are going to have people ride in the back, get the crew. I am on my 2nd CC and love them. My first real truck, a '95 F350 Dually, bought used, was an ext cab. For my purposes it was useless for anything other than luggage. The new aluminum cabs are very spacious. My wife and daughter, and 8 month old grand daughter made a 16 hour (each way) trip to visit family over the winter. Three adults and an 8 mo old in a car seat were very comfortable for the whole trip. That would not happen with an ext cab.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:55 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
Even if you don't carry rear seat passengers the Crew cab allows you to store more stuff out of the weather and offers better rear side visibility. I went from a crew cab to a supercab and now miss the extra inside room. My next truck will be a crew cab.

But there is also a hefty premium for buying one.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My kids are still in their single digit years, so it was a CC. When we go camping I needed the room for 2 kids (1 still in a booster) and 2 boston terriers. In the CC, they’re comfortable enough to not keep bothering me.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Kuboita
New User
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
Even if you don't carry rear seat passengers the Crew cab allows you to store more stuff out of the weather and offers better rear side visibility. I went from a crew cab to a supercab and now miss the extra inside room. My next truck will be a crew cab.

But there is also a hefty premium for buying one.
Awesome. Thanks! Was hoping someone would chime in that had both and didn't like "xyz" configuration for "abc" reason.

You guys are spending my money!!! Hopefully not much since its a Ford replacement. I have basically $50k (MSRP) to pick a new truck so I think I can get into a CC XLT Premium package with a few extras for about that. Supposedly anything over 50k I'm on the hook for the delta.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Seriously think about car seats. Rear facing ones are huge

Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
I've had both as well. Get the Crew Cab. You won't regret it.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Hendricks
5th Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Crew cab all the way. Seats that actual human beings can comfortably ride in. B pillar to make the cab stronger. Single pin hinges, rather than the insane double hinge on the extended cab.
Also, we have a 96 pound Lab that likes the big flat floor...

Old 07-20-2018, 03:35 PM
wingdavid
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had both ., Got the super (extended ) cab this time for two reasone
1. let me get NY state passenger plates , CC would be over the limit and require comercial plates in NY
2. Usually just my wife and I , back is for storage.

ON the other hand
When you do have someone in the back seat and you want to stop and let them out before going to park the front seat passenger has to take off their seat belt and open the front door to open the back door.
more room is always nice.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
I have owned both...but rarely had anyone in back seat on ext cab....I had crew cab first and really missed the extra room for my Fire gear... Also I only bought ext cab " used" because it was loaded, low miles and a price I couldn't refuse.... I think most folks want crew ( just look at dealer inventory) ...so if u have to sell many will skip right by the Ext cab ads.. I know I do

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EXT Cab or Crew Cab and why???