2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

EXT Cab or Crew Cab and why???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM
tibadoe
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went for the ext. cab. I like the extra space for odds & ends when/ if I need to carry. Since it's just the wife & me there is plenty of room. Had a CC in the past and just wasn't for me. Check them both out and see what fits your likes and needs.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:20 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Here is the other thread on SC vs. CC ... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...verywhere.html

Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an extended cab on my 2004 F250 Long Bed and regretted it from the day I bought the truck., The CC is the way to go. If you ever want to have passengers in your truck so they will be comfortable the CC is much better. The extended cab is only good for children or dogs or cargo. My new 2017 F350 CCLB is awesome.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:10 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a ext cab and HATE IT even when my son was a baby his car seat would not fit in the back unless we moved the passenger front seat all the way forward (this then made the seat unusable for any size front passenger) yea the ext cab has some more room for things (small things). The dog takes up the entire back seat, my 15 and 13 year old can no longer fit in the back at all. If we all go somewhere they complain nonstop! If I drive my buddies around whether it's going uh thing or fishing etc they dont fit so they bust my ***** no stop. If it's raining and were going grocery shopping etc we have to get half of what we want because it wont fit in the back out of the weather...
so basically save yourself the headache and buy a crew cab

Old 07-21-2018, 06:32 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the Super Cab..... Crew Cabs are a foot longer and these trucks are already very long. Too long imo. I don’t live in the country so for me the length is an annoyance. The super cab is plenty big for us and we are a family of 5. We also have a cap on the back so that provides a bunch of cargo room as well.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:33 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Really at the end of the day it was the extra foot of overall length that was the compelling factor in this issue.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:45 AM
12Farmer
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
------ ^^^^^ ------- Exactly.

My '87 SCLB fit in my garage just fine, but not these new models, just too long. That's why my new ride is a SCSB.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:15 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
It's virtually impossible for someone to prefer an extended cab over a crew cab. The only reason would be to save money. Even if you're going to be the *only* person in the truck, the extra space is so nice. It gives you the option to transport everyone in the truck if you decided to take friends to dinner or to a work project. Resale value is certainly higher. I will say this new cab offers a little bit better rear room than the previous generation did (I think +4"). I'd consider one for a work vehicle only...just for the storage space.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:21 AM
JohnnyMarauder
Senior User
I would have preferred the extended over my crew, but you can't get LED lights or power steps without a crew. So I got a crew.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:47 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam

I bought the Super Cab..... Crew Cabs are a foot longer and these trucks are already very long. Too long imo. I don’t live in the country so for me the length is an annoyance. The super cab is plenty big for us and we are a family of 5. We also have a cap on the back so that provides a bunch of cargo room as well.
yes and your passenger seat is angled forward. No one is going to sit leaning forward with their face in the dashboard, then to fix it you have to move the seat all the way up which then gives you zero room between the seat and dash. I have one and I will never buy another ext cab, nor will I ever tell anyone that buying an ext cab is a good idea

Old 07-21-2018, 09:58 AM
SnoqMark
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We went from 2010 F150 EC to 2018 F350 CC and REALLY like the extended leg/storage room. It's only my wife and the dogs but I can get SO much more inside than I could with the EC. The 12" longer wheel base doesn't seem to be an issue with or without a trailer.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:08 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
yes and your passenger seat is angled forward. No one is going to sit leaning forward with their face in the dashboard, then to fix it you have to move the seat all the way up which then gives you zero room between the seat and dash. I have one and I will never buy another ext cab, nor will I ever tell anyone that buying an ext cab is a good idea
The picture is how I drive typically. That was while at work. My wife is almost never in the truck with me and kids. If we are traveling together we take the Mercedes. Otherwise it’s just me alone or me and the kids. I bought my truck to daily drive. Not for towing or hauling or traveling. So for me the shorter length was more important than interior space. Obviously if you are traveling with rear passengers then of course a bigger back seat is better. I’m sure the OP knew that before asking so he’s probably not looking for everybody to regurgitate that fact.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:41 PM
Kuboita
New User
Thanks for all the responses!!

Unfortunately, I haven't had much cooperation from my new dealer and haven't been in to check out trucks further.

Seems like 90% of you all say CC. I know it makes complete sense, but I'm having such a hard time coming to terms with getting a CC. After I drive both, I hope to have a better idea.

If I was pressured to make a decision right now, I think I would still lean towards the supercab.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuboita
Thanks for all the responses!!

Unfortunately, I haven't had much cooperation from my new dealer and haven't been in to check out trucks further.

Seems like 90% of you all say CC. I know it makes complete sense, but I'm having such a hard time coming to terms with getting a CC. After I drive both, I hope to have a better idea.

If I was pressured to make a decision right now, I think I would still lean towards the supercab.
Well in the end it's your call, of course. Get what fits your needs and wants, that's why they make many cab, bed length, engine, and trim configurations. To please the masses. Good luck with your quest and enjoy.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:06 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not that the fine folks in this thread haven't already done the argument for a CC justice, but I'll drop my vote in as well. Before I bought my first truck I had station wagon/SUV's. But those things don't haul lumber or plow snow, hence the truck. They do, however, provide lockable, securable, extremely weathertight interior space to put belongings like tools (or people?) and when I bought my first truck I knew it was CC or nothing. I know there's an argument for a bed toolbox or a bed cover, but nothing beats the MASSIVE back seats of a CC. I can have a load of tools AND two full grown people in the back. Supercabs are for the birds. And on the parking subject, everyone argues the truck is already so long why get the CC that's a foot longer? Well if it's already so long why get a truck a foot shorter and lose virtually all truly useful interior space. If you can park a SC you can park a CC. Just do it!

Quick Reply: EXT Cab or Crew Cab and why???