2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Air Filter Life

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:35 PM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess its kinda like changing your oil before the truck's intelligent oil life monitor tells you...not something I'll ever waste my money on.

There is a reason the filters on these trucks aren't cheap - they aren't meant to be replaced every 10k miles like a gas car. The filter on my 6.0 diesel was still showing green after 40k miles, why replace it?
*shrug*

Old 07-14-2018, 05:38 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 302 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
I guess its kinda like changing your oil before the truck's intelligent oil life monitor tells you...not something I'll ever waste my money on.

There is a reason the filters on these trucks aren't cheap - they aren't meant to be replaced every 10k miles like a gas car. The filter on my 6.0 diesel was still showing green after 40k miles, why replace it?
*shrug*
Your absolutely right, that gauge is there for a reason. Ask any over the road truck driver, do they replace their filters because they "look" bad, no! They follow the gauge.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz

*shrug*
My 6.0 lasted over 100k.. if finally triggered and when I took it apart, there was a noise nest built inside.

These filters are made to last and just because they look dirty doesnt mean they are bad. Heck, the dirtier they are, the more they are filtering.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:53 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
I think the air filters are like the oil. As soon as you change it it’s black and dirty looking, just the nature of diesels. There’s a lot of square inches in the filter design so op’s filter probably has a lot of life left. But like a 3000 mike oil change it’s not going to hurt changing early.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:25 AM
Rmilam
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autozone has a STP air filter, which is special order, for $39.99... anyone tried this one?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
I would not go aftermarket on replacement filters. OEM is one thing to not mess with when it comes to filters (oil, fuel, air).

OEM can be had for $57.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:20 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered a new one from Dieselfiltersonline. We are now on the road and we will wait in place till it arrives.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:17 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
I would not go aftermarket on replacement filters. OEM is one thing to not mess with when it comes to filters (oil, fuel, air).OEM can be had for $57.
I've never been one to use OEM filters ... never even bought an ESP until buying my KR. However, I plan to share my maintenance records with Ford via https://owner.ford.com/ and found the Motorcraft filters from DieselFiltersOnline are priced well. Buy at least $250-worth and shipping is free. Ordered a 3-year supply last night, and the air filters were $48.95 each. Do I have to use OEM filters? Not according to the Magnuson-Moss Act I don't. But I also am not going to buy cheap-rate filters for such an expensive truck.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:31 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a maintenance package, and the original filter to the 3rd one but I do drive on dirt roads. This is one of the reasons why, the filters are being changed by the dealer, so as long as they are buying..... I am at 32k Km, 4 oil and oil filters changes, 3air filters, one fuel filter, 3cabin filters, 3 sets of wiper blades, 4 tire rotations.

with respect to motorcraft filters, how much did your truck cost, buy motorcraft parts for filters, if you look at the other brands, there is a difference, and that is why they are cheaper. Buy on dieselfilters online and save as much as you can. I especially would not risk it on fuel or oil filters, air filters pretty close to as critical. I am not risking, it’s your truck and your money.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cficare
I've never been one to use OEM filters ... never even bought an ESP until buying my KR. However, I plan to share my maintenance records with Ford via https://owner.ford.com/ and found the Motorcraft filters from DieselFiltersOnline are priced well. Buy at least $250-worth and shipping is free. Ordered a 3-year supply last night, and the air filters were $48.95 each. Do I have to use OEM filters? Not according to the Magnuson-Moss Act I don't. But I also am not going to buy cheap-rate filters for such an expensive truck.
You absolutely do not however what you do have to do is use an aftermarket that meets the same spec as OEM. If you think all aftermarket meet the same specs and filters the same then you would be wrong. I even remember some of the aftermarket air filters being crushed (think crushing a soda can) on the powerstroke because they were not the quality of the OEM and could take how much airflow the truck needed.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:22 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I blew mine out with my air duster. 90 PSI blown from the inside made it look pretty good. I am going to get a new one, but that give the engine a bit more air.

Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
You absolutely do not however what you do have to do is use an aftermarket that meets the same spec as OEM. If you think all aftermarket meet the same specs and filters the same then you would be wrong. I even remember some of the aftermarket air filters being crushed (think crushing a soda can) on the powerstroke because they were not the quality of the OEM and could take how much airflow the truck needed.
Some after market filters do not have the foam block that the factory ones have.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Mine looked similar to the OP’s.