Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Need Advice Buying New F150 From Other State

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 03:35 PM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lebowskii
Fly down there, test drive it, make the deal and then have them give you a 30 day temporary registration so you can drive it back. Don't forget to do it on a weekday so you can call your insurance agent and have them fax a copy of your insurance policy so it will be insured when you drive it back. Good luck....
Sorry, No Way. Make the deal before you fly down there. When you get there test drive and negotiate if there is anything not as advertised. Also, remember when you negotiate the initial deal - negotiate eithe as loaded or include any additional such as bedliner, mats, wheel well liners, mud flaps, etc. Also, don’t forget to include a warranty and don’t be afraid to negotiate that as well. They make huge markups on these items. Last item. Make sure the dang thing has a 36 gallon fuel tank. Don’t accept no puny tank as you will immediately regret it. Fly down with round trip ticket if your not comfortable you can walk away. Make sure they agree to pick you up at the airport.
good luck.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tuckr2
Sorry, No Way. Make the deal before you fly down there. When you get there test drive and negotiate if there is anything not as advertised. Also, remember when you negotiate the initial deal - negotiate eithe as loaded or include any additional such as bedliner, mats, wheel well liners, mud flaps, etc. Also, don’t forget to include a warranty and don’t be afraid to negotiate that as well. They make huge markups on these items. Last item. Make sure the dang thing has a 36 gallon fuel tank. Don’t accept no puny tank as you will immediately regret it. Fly down with round trip ticket if your not comfortable you can walk away. Make sure they agree to pick you up at the airport.
good luck.
I agree, make the deal before flying down there. During my negotiation process via e-mail, I didn't want add-ons like bedliners or mats. And I also negotiated over the trade-in for my 2012 F-150. I didn't want any surprises at the end and everything went very well.

And a round-trip ticket is usually cheaper than a one-way ticket. Strange, I know.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Lebowskii
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tuckr2
Sorry, No Way. Make the deal before you fly down there.
I know a guy who tried to do that a couple of years ago and the dealer said they don't negotiate online or over the phone with people hundreds of miles away. They told him to come in and talk to them in person. They said they had negotiated many other times with people in other parts of the country who never showed up to close the deal after they had spent a lot of time negotiating so they didn't do it anymore.

I know that if I have a used car for sale I don't negotiate over the phone with people who call and the first question out of their mouth is what's the least you'll take for it? I tell them to come here and drive it and then we'll discuss the price....

Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 PM
daily double
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Ok. and bought my 2018 F150 in another state. The state I bought in uses a different sales contract from my home state and due to the different way of taxing the new one in OK. I saved about $300.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:24 PM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lebowskii
I know a guy who tried to do that a couple of years ago and the dealer said they don't negotiate online or over the phone with people hundreds of miles away. They told him to come in and talk to them in person. They said they had negotiated many other times with people in other parts of the country who never showed up to close the deal after they had spent a lot of time negotiating so they didn't do it anymore.

I know that if I have a used car for sale I don't negotiate over the phone with people who call and the first question out of their mouth is what's the least you'll take for it? I tell them to come here and drive it and then we'll discuss the price....
in today’s world there aren’t many dealers who won’t negotiate over phone/ internet. You can look directly at window sticker info on web and negotiate the truck. If they won’t do this then your obviously better off going to another dealership. My last truck as well as my travel trailer I barely spoke with the sales rep. Once I knew what I wanted I sent them my specifics: engine trans, 4x4, wheelbase, crewcab, Trim level, etc. I told them colors I don’t want and colors I’d consider. I told them I had a trade and once we have a truck I’d bring it down for their inspection and trade offer. I did not negotiate the monthly payment as that’s in their favor. I already had an idea of my truck value and had considered selling outright if needed. In other words I was willing to wait. I also let them know I was working with more than one dealership. Heck I even to,d them if they had what I wanted I’d even fly to factory if necessary. This all took about 4 days. They found one I wanted minus a couple items + a couple items that were nice but not necessary. I went to the dealer, let them make me an offer on my truck and negotiated the truck they offered + one item must have to be installed on the truck (tow mirrors). We agreed on price and only then did I bring my wife down to fill out paperwork and sign with me on the loan (I already had done preloan paperwork with my credit union). They tried offering me a lender and I politely refused informing them my lender had better rates. Gave them an opportunity to beat those rates which they did and we signed for the truck and took it home.
I’d like to say this was the end of it but ya but Ford does not offer Tow Mirrors as part of any tow package. They called me back about 24 hours later and informed me that tow mirrors could not be guaranteed to work on my truck as there were many variations and that all the functions may not work. I politely told them that I would be down to drop off the truck and would take my business elsewhere and find a truck with them already installed. By the time I got there they had another truck (window sticker) from another dealer that they were willing to get and trade. Of course the truck cost significantly more. I said NO, just give me the keys to my old truck and I’d go do business elsewhere. In the end we came to an agreement and I drove out with a year newer truck with tow mirrrors, several more options at a couple hundred difference. Not all deals end this way but I was fortunate that I couldn’t be rushed.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by daily double
I live in Ok. and bought my 2018 F150 in another state. The state I bought in uses a different sales contract from my home state and due to the different way of taxing the new one in OK. I saved about $300.
Youd better watch it. By law, you are required to pay the difference in tax to the state in which you will license the truck, or your address. I bought dozens of trucks over the years, many in Wisconsin. If I titled it in Wisconsin, I paid their tax rate. If I brought it home to Illiniois, I got stuck paying to the flatland state the additional 2%.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:08 PM
toro1966
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completed the deal and financing before I flew. Worked well.