460 7.5L Overheats, shuts off. HELP PLS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 04:02 PM
86F250_7.5_4x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 460 7.5L Overheats, shuts off. HELP PLS!!!

My 1986 F250 XLT Lariat, Standard Cab Long Bed, 4wd, 3spd C6 Auto, 460 7.5L carbuerated. 155k+miles

I have been dealing with this problem off an on since I bought the truck a couple years ago, its only when its pretty hot out (I'd say around 80F and up outside) and usually at higher rpms or at highway speeds (50mph+). It will usually overheat around 15-20 minutes of driving, the truck will start to bog and then will die like I am running out of gas pretty much. I can put it in neutral and shut it off, turn it back over and usually it will fire right back up! Sometimes it takes a minute, but it will fire up every time like nothing happened, and then maybe another 10 minutes of driving it will do it again until I stop and let the truck cool off for a bit. I daily drive this old beast, but I don't go far. I'm probably only in it driving for about a couple hours a day, 20 minutes to work in the morning(and has hours to cool down), 20 minutes back home and whatever else I need to do that day, but I don't like driving it a lot in this heat. I have replaced about everything on the truck lol.
  • Radiator (maybe a year old)
  • Waterpump and timing chain cover (just done)
  • Fan clutch (maybe a year)
  • Radiator lines (just done)
  • Fuel pump (over a year old)
  • fuel lines and fuel filter at the carb (just done)
  • Air filter (new)
  • Plugs, wires, cap and rotor (close to a year)
  • Ignition Coil (new)
  • Alternator (new)
  • Thermostat and housing (brand new)
  • Ignition Module (year old)
  • Starter and relay (close to a year)
  • Front fuel tank
Theres more stuff I could list off, but these are what I have read can be a problem. I can add pictures of my engine bay or whatever needed.
My last thoughts would be the replacing all fuel lines and moving them out of the way of all the heat, replacing headers (there factory and maybe they are giving off too much heat?), or oil cooler/tranny cooler possibly, not sure if they would play a part in overheating.

Might I add I only have exhaust from headers to a foot or two pass my cab, it seems to get pretty damn hot. Drivers side pipe passes under my transmission (where it bolts to engine) and runs up next to passenger side pipe, which comes straight back pretty much.

I need your help please, I have been putting all of my money in this old bee itch and I just wanna see her run like she should. Give me suggestions!

Last edited by 86F250_7.5_4x4; 07-11-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added mileage
Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 PM
mike70351w
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been dealing with this problem off an on since I bought the truck a couple years ago, its only when its pretty hot out (I'd say around 80F and up outside) and usually at higher rpms or at highway speeds (50mph+). It will usually overheat around 15-20 minutes of driving,
You said you installed a new radiator, Did you install radiator for a 460? I'd suggest checking your part number to verify. Is there anything in front of radiator blocking flow? Do you have electric fan or manual? Did you install a camshaft when you did timing chain? A radiator that cool my 302 failed when I swapped in a 429 so make sure your part is correct for your application

the truck will start to bog and then will die like I am running out of gas pretty much. I can put it in neutral and shut it off, turn it back over and usually it will fire right back up! Sometimes it takes a minute, but it will fire up every time like nothing happened, and then maybe another 10 minutes of driving it will do it again until I stop and let the truck cool off for a bit.
I've experience this symptom in my 79 with the 400. It had in then the duraspark. After several failures swapping modules I abandon durasparky and install the GM style HEI distributor. Have not had any problems in 2 yrs since upgrade. So your problem is likely your module or combination module, coil, or pickup inside distributor.