1949 F-5 Dually Box Questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F-5 Dually Box Questions

Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 PM
GoingGreen
New User
GoingGreen is starting off with a positive reputation.
1949 F-5 Dually Box Questions

Guys, I have a 1949 F-5 with a cab that is in really good shape. It is the 158" wheel base version. My plan has been to shorten the wheelbase to either 134" (the "short" version of the F-5) or to even shorter (e.g., 122" wheelbase which is the F-3 length), and then find a box to put on it.

I saw this thread entitled 1949 F-3 Dually Box Questions in which Stu posted several pics of trucks with both duallys and a box (see https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...questions.html). I really like the look of the yellow one. I know I will have to raise the box somewhat above the frame and will also have to modify and widen the rear fenders to accommodate the duallys. Finding a good box from an F-3 Express at a reasonable price could be tough. Finding a 6.5 foot box from an F-1 would likely be easier. Fabricating a box would be hardest. Leaving it a flatbed is also an option.

My questions are:

(1) Have you guys seen pics of F-5 (or bigger) shortened to accommodate a 6.5 F1 box? If so, did it look okay and do you have any pictures?

(2) Would I be decreasing the value of the truck by shortening it to less than 134" wheelbase? At such point in time, if any, that I decide to sell it, do the guys that are typically interested in these F-5/F-6s like to see them "stock?"

Matt

Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 PM
truckdog62563
Post Fiend
truckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant future
Matt - here’s the version I’m partial to. A 53-66 one ton Flareside 9’ bed with 48-52 F-2/F-3 fenders. Allows a well proportioned 134” wheelbase. I think Mid-50 or one of the aftermarket places has the bed sides new reproduction, and maybe the headboard and gate. The other guys know more about that than me. Stu

Old 07-12-2018, 05:30 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
I'll discuss your second question a bit. IMO, a 158" WB F5 is not currently an in demand vehicle with pricing low that supports this. There is not a whole lot of uses a person can find for one. When that truck becomes 134" WB, it is more in line with a modern F350, F450 and is a usable size. I believe we will see pricing on these older slightly larger truck go up as folks realize the pricing on a new truck and the expense of keeping a larger late model truck on the road increases. These older larger trucks can be easily made into an economical workhorse that can be maintained by someone with normal mechanical skills. We have several members who are upgrading and using these older trucks. Stephen has a '56 F6 that has been shortened and a conventional box installed. He is in process of an engine swap. Another guy is running a box on a C5 or C6 as his rolling sales office. I upgraded my F4, just because I wanted to.
IMO so long as you don't compromise the proportions or neuter the looks of these old trucks, allow them to maintain a somewhat stock appearance, go for it. So long as it looks like a truck and all the work done to it is quality, someone will want it. You will not hurt the value of it.
Just one old man's opinion.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:23 PM
GoingGreen
New User
GoingGreen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
I'll discuss your second question a bit. IMO, a 158" WB F5 is not currently an in demand vehicle with pricing low that supports this. There is not a whole lot of uses a person can find for one. When that truck becomes 134" WB, it is more in line with a modern F350, F450 and is a usable size. I believe we will see pricing on these older slightly larger truck go up as folks realize the pricing on a new truck and the expense of keeping a larger late model truck on the road increases. These older larger trucks can be easily made into an economical workhorse that can be maintained by someone with normal mechanical skills. We have several members who are upgrading and using these older trucks. Stephen has a '56 F6 that has been shortened and a conventional box installed. He is in process of an engine swap. Another guy is running a box on a C5 or C6 as his rolling sales office. I upgraded my F4, just because I wanted to.
IMO so long as you don't compromise the proportions or neuter the looks of these old trucks, allow them to maintain a somewhat stock appearance, go for it. So long as it looks like a truck and all the work done to it is quality, someone will want it. You will not hurt the value of it.
Just one old man's opinion.
Ray: Thanks for input. It is appreciated. I figured that in the forum you have both purists and those that are okay with less conventional looks. We all have our own tastes. That said, the pricing question is verifiable with data from those, like you, that are in the know. So again, I appreciate the input. Don't get me wrong, my intention is not to build a vehicle I can turn around and sell. That said, I have a '72 (that is my profile a pic), a '60 F100 that is getting close to being done, and this F5. If I had to sell, I just want to make sure I don't make a big mistake before I shorten it.

By by the way, It's great to hear stories of guys putting these old trucks "back" to work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.