1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F-5 Dually Box Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 PM
GoingGreen
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1949 F-5 Dually Box Questions

Guys, I have a 1949 F-5 with a cab that is in really good shape. It is the 158" wheel base version. My plan has been to shorten the wheelbase to either 134" (the "short" version of the F-5) or to even shorter (e.g., 122" wheelbase which is the F-3 length), and then find a box to put on it.

I saw this thread entitled 1949 F-3 Dually Box Questions in which Stu posted several pics of trucks with both duallys and a box (see https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...questions.html). I really like the look of the yellow one. I know I will have to raise the box somewhat above the frame and will also have to modify and widen the rear fenders to accommodate the duallys. Finding a good box from an F-3 Express at a reasonable price could be tough. Finding a 6.5 foot box from an F-1 would likely be easier. Fabricating a box would be hardest. Leaving it a flatbed is also an option.

My questions are:

(1) Have you guys seen pics of F-5 (or bigger) shortened to accommodate a 6.5 F1 box? If so, did it look okay and do you have any pictures?

(2) Would I be decreasing the value of the truck by shortening it to less than 134" wheelbase? At such point in time, if any, that I decide to sell it, do the guys that are typically interested in these F-5/F-6s like to see them "stock?"

Matt

Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Matt - here’s the version I’m partial to. A 53-66 one ton Flareside 9’ bed with 48-52 F-2/F-3 fenders. Allows a well proportioned 134” wheelbase. I think Mid-50 or one of the aftermarket places has the bed sides new reproduction, and maybe the headboard and gate. The other guys know more about that than me. Stu

Old 07-12-2018, 05:30 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I'll discuss your second question a bit. IMO, a 158" WB F5 is not currently an in demand vehicle with pricing low that supports this. There is not a whole lot of uses a person can find for one. When that truck becomes 134" WB, it is more in line with a modern F350, F450 and is a usable size. I believe we will see pricing on these older slightly larger truck go up as folks realize the pricing on a new truck and the expense of keeping a larger late model truck on the road increases. These older larger trucks can be easily made into an economical workhorse that can be maintained by someone with normal mechanical skills. We have several members who are upgrading and using these older trucks. Stephen has a '56 F6 that has been shortened and a conventional box installed. He is in process of an engine swap. Another guy is running a box on a C5 or C6 as his rolling sales office. I upgraded my F4, just because I wanted to.
IMO so long as you don't compromise the proportions or neuter the looks of these old trucks, allow them to maintain a somewhat stock appearance, go for it. So long as it looks like a truck and all the work done to it is quality, someone will want it. You will not hurt the value of it.
Just one old man's opinion.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:23 PM
GoingGreen
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by raytasch
I'll discuss your second question a bit. IMO, a 158" WB F5 is not currently an in demand vehicle with pricing low that supports this. There is not a whole lot of uses a person can find for one. When that truck becomes 134" WB, it is more in line with a modern F350, F450 and is a usable size. I believe we will see pricing on these older slightly larger truck go up as folks realize the pricing on a new truck and the expense of keeping a larger late model truck on the road increases. These older larger trucks can be easily made into an economical workhorse that can be maintained by someone with normal mechanical skills. We have several members who are upgrading and using these older trucks. Stephen has a '56 F6 that has been shortened and a conventional box installed. He is in process of an engine swap. Another guy is running a box on a C5 or C6 as his rolling sales office. I upgraded my F4, just because I wanted to.
IMO so long as you don't compromise the proportions or neuter the looks of these old trucks, allow them to maintain a somewhat stock appearance, go for it. So long as it looks like a truck and all the work done to it is quality, someone will want it. You will not hurt the value of it.
Just one old man's opinion.
Ray: Thanks for input. It is appreciated. I figured that in the forum you have both purists and those that are okay with less conventional looks. We all have our own tastes. That said, the pricing question is verifiable with data from those, like you, that are in the know. So again, I appreciate the input. Don't get me wrong, my intention is not to build a vehicle I can turn around and sell. That said, I have a '72 (that is my profile a pic), a '60 F100 that is getting close to being done, and this F5. If I had to sell, I just want to make sure I don't make a big mistake before I shorten it.

By by the way, It's great to hear stories of guys putting these old trucks "back" to work.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:10 PM
GoingGreen
5th Wheeling
Fender Orientation?

Well I decided to make the 49 F5 a 134" wheelbase truck (originally 158"). I actually cut the back end off a 48 F5 and welded it to the 49 frame because the 49 frame was bent. I welded it together a few weeks ago and boxed in the frame. The welds aren't pretty (as you can see below) but they'll do the trick. You can also see the frame sleeve in 49 frame because it originally had a 158" wheelbase. I figured I keep the F5 with a stock wheelbase spec so that if I ever sold it and the buyer wanted to put a flatbed on it they could do it and still have it be true to the original F5 specs for this model of truck. Also I had a driveshaft for the 134" version. I want to put an 8' bed on the truck, not a 9' one, but would have to figure out how to make it look good with a 134" wheelbase. Would it be sacreligous to flip the rear fenders to the other sides so the fat part of the fender is in front of the wheel, not behind it?

Also I got a couple real solid rear fenders and a good tailgate from a '51 last night via craigslist. I am feeling pretty good about that.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:20 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow! I think you pulled the lucky straw on getting those fenders so quick! And the tailgate as well! That is an F3 tailgate right? can't tell from here.
I presume you are going for the long bed right?

Old 09-05-2018, 10:42 PM
GoingGreen
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Wow! I think you pulled the lucky straw on getting those fenders so quick! And the tailgate as well! That is an F3 tailgate right? can't tell from here.
I presume you are going for the long bed right?
The guy that sold them to me said it was from an F2, but I'm not sure. After work I jumped in the car and headed his way. Yes, I want an 8 foot bed, but I guess that would be shorter than the 9' bed you'd normally find on truck with a 134" wheelbase. Mine is a dually so I'll have to widen the fenders.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:24 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
How are you gonna compensate for the 12” difference in frame length with use of the 8’ bed? The fender wells and fender mounting locations won’t line up with the rear wheels without leaving a big gap between the cab and bed. Stu

Old 09-06-2018, 09:55 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
F1 rear fenders are wider than the F2/3 fenders you have, so that may help solve some of your width problem.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:12 AM
GoingGreen
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
How are you gonna compensate for the 12” difference in frame length with use of the 8’ bed? The fender wells and fender mounting locations won’t line up with the rear wheels without leaving a big gap between the cab and bed. Stu
Stu: I was leaning toward fabricating my own box, either that or making modifications to an existing box. I'm anticipating a good bit of metal fabrication will be involved, unless I decide to find a 9 foot box. The metal fabrication is the part I probably like the best, so I'm okay with that. I just have to figure out if its possible to make it look good. I understand that the "Express" boxes sat on a truck with a 122" wheelbase.

Matt

Old 09-06-2018, 04:39 PM
1960fordf350
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Several years ago (at least 10) a member of the ATHS made a large pickup out of a Brockway. It had been a water tanker. It was also an older version with a gas engine. He made his own box, 10ft. long!! Very well done and aesthetically correct. BUT, the truck had single year tires just the way he bought it. If you could find those rims with the correct offset, well...…..

Old 09-08-2018, 04:52 PM
1960fordf350
More Turbo

OK, here it is. This pic is from 2000 at the Valley Forge Pa show for the ATHS Very tasteful, no??

Old 09-09-2018, 08:32 PM
GoingGreen
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by 1960fordf350

OK, here it is. This pic is from 2000 at the Valley Forge Pa show for the ATHS Very tasteful, no??
That is nicely done. Mine will look a little more "rustic" than that. I have a 6.5' box that is pretty rough that I was going to lengthen, but the cab I've got is so solid such that I want the bed to look equally sturdy. If I make the box it will be very sturdy, but I'd have to age the paint to match the cab. That is the route I'm leaning towards.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:24 PM
1960fordf350
More Turbo
Nothing wrong with RUSTIC. From what I remember, He used some pretty sturdy heavy sheet plate. Square tubing. Not sure about the round edges on the top. He used an old fuel tank that he cut up for the rear fenders. Bed doesn't look 10ft, but remember that those are probably 22in tires.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:34 PM
GoingGreen
5th Wheeling
Here's a pic of the shortened F5. It's still stock wheelbase but has new tires and the Budd lock ring wheels (painted to match the "patina"), not widowmakers. I have to replace a couple wheel studs but needed to roll it out of my pole barn so I could get another truck out. I'm picking up the recovered seat tomorrow. I still have a lot of work to do, but I picked up the steel to fabricate the bed today. The tariffs have sure drove up the price of steel.

Quick Reply: 1949 F-5 Dually Box Questions