Ordering a Chassis Cab - questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Ordering a Chassis Cab - questions

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 07-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Elder User
Alaskan_Warbird has a good reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a good reputation on FTE.

Not looking to kick off a debate on weight limits or anything like that but I would welcome your opinions when answering the following questions:

1. Can you order an F550 chassis cab with a higher trim level than just Lariat? Personally I'd love to see an F550 King Ranch built to my specifications but I don't see the option to build it that way.

2. I've read that chassis cabs are "detuned" compared to the same model pickup. Can someone who actually knows tell me exactly how they're "detuned"? Maybe even point to some official documentation, cause from what I've found so far it looks like rumor? And if this is true, is it just the F350 and F450's that are detuned, since there is no F550 standard pickup?

3. Is ordering a chassis cab a similar experience to ordering a standard pickup? What are the differences, if any?

Here's my situation - I love my 2017 F350 6.2L DRW Lariat. I've got it setup and suspension tuned to handle our Host Mammoth TC fully loaded for camping and long trips. It's a beast of a TC but the truck handles it great! However, we're looking at also getting a couple of ATV's or a side-by-side. The additional tongue weight and towing would get me uncomfortably close or possibly over the axle and tire ratings. I know lots of guys do it with no problems but I'm not like lots of other guys.

The question on the trim levels is because we've really enjoyed the extra "creature comforts", even though our Lariat doesn't have the "ultimate package", it does have many of those niceties added in separately. Still, it's lacking the ultimate tow package, heated steering wheel, and some other things I'd really like. I don't see an F550 build in which one can build all that stuff, unless I'm missing something obvious. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read/answer.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:04 PM
nuctrooper
Elder User
nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.
I looked carefully at this too when I was getting mine. The engine is ultimately what turned me off. I really really wanted to go 550. I am super happy with my 450 pickup, though.
1. Lariat is the top trim. However, you can add most of the goodies into the Lariat.. No KR/Plat/Ltd. You're right - some of the goodies are missing, though (cameras, etc)
2. 6.7 - 330hp and 750ft-lb. It has a different turbo and other minor physical differences in the fuel delivery. There is no way to simply reflash to pickup power levels, as the hardware changes preclude it.
If you want to go with gas again, you're limited to the 6.8L V10. From 450HP to 330HP is quite a jump. All the CC models get the 330HP version (350/450/550).
3. Ordering similar - needs a little more homework to make sure you can insure and register it. And you would need to custom order, cause there aren't many fully loaded Lariat CCs out there.
4. You'll have to add a bed/body to the CC in order to haul a TC. A custom bed by Douglas Truck Body would be awesome, but they are another $10k to the cost (and months to build)

Personally, I think your rig will be just fine. If you are worried about real capability, you could consider the 450 pickup. (We've talked quite a bit about this and I've enjoyed our discussions). If it is paper capability, then the 550CC is the way to go. (Even though axles and tires are the same as the 450 PU)

What are your scale weights with the TC loaded? A little trailer rated to carry 2 ATV or 1 SxS will only weigh about 3,000lbs loaded. You don't have to haul a tandem axle flatbed. Using the superhitch magnum and supertruss extension (prob 48" to clear your overhang), you'll probably need a little weight distributing hitch. Overall, I'd bet 350lbs added to the rear axle and 100 to the front. Not really that much of an increase. Carry a little less water and you're back to the same weight on the truck as you have right now.
Comparing a 450PU to a 550 CC - the difference in capability (in the range we are talking - 13-16klb on the truck, 20klb combined) is really only on paper. The running gear, tires, axles, brakes, driveline, etc are all the same. Except there is less power in the 550CC. So, if you really sit back and consider your comfort level - the physical handling of the two are exactly the same, it is only the sticker that is any different. (well, longer wheelbase by a few inches, I guess). Doesn't really change anything going down the road.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:17 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think the advantage of the derated engine is the longevity. I can't remember where I saw it, but I think the design-life was much longer. I'll try to look that up if nobody else has it at hand.

EDIT: Here is one article. equipment world article There may be other resources.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Elder User
Alaskan_Warbird has a good reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by nuctrooper View Post
Personally, I think your rig will be just fine. If you are worried about real capability, you could consider the 450 pickup. (We've talked quite a bit about this and I've enjoyed our discussions). If it is paper capability, then the 550CC is the way to go. (Even though axles and tires are the same as the 450 PU)

What are your scale weights with the TC loaded? A little trailer rated to carry 2 ATV or 1 SxS will only weigh about 3,000lbs loaded. You don't have to haul a tandem axle flatbed. Using the superhitch magnum and supertruss extension (prob 48" to clear your overhang), you'll probably need a little weight distributing hitch. Overall, I'd bet 350lbs added to the rear axle and 100 to the front. Not really that much of an increase. Carry a little less water and you're back to the same weight on the truck as you have right now.
Comparing a 450PU to a 550 CC - the difference in capability (in the range we are talking - 13-16klb on the truck, 20klb combined) is really only on paper. The running gear, tires, axles, brakes, driveline, etc are all the same. Except there is less power in the 550CC. So, if you really sit back and consider your comfort level - the physical handling of the two are exactly the same, it is only the sticker that is any different. (well, longer wheelbase by a few inches, I guess). Doesn't really change anything going down the road.
I've enjoyed the discussions as well. Last weigh-in with TC and everything, we were at 14,080 pounds total. They didn't give me separate axle weights - I need to find a scale that'll do that for me. I've since added a front hitch to carry the bikes so all told, we're probably 200-300 pounds heavier now. I've been running the airbags at 55 psi on driver, 60 psi on passenger, so we've room to stiffen that up if adding a few hundred pounds of tongue weight. We really like the extra bells and whistles and if I get a different truck, it will definitely have the ultimate tow package with the 360 cameras, as well as the factory upfitters.

Honestly, if we do upgrade in the future it'll probably be to a fully loaded F450 King Ranch. But if I'm going to take the plunge on a vehicle that expensive, I wanted to do my full due diligence and examine the chassis cabs. Thank you for providing your opinions and the info.

Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
I think the advantage of the derated engine is the longevity. I can't remember where I saw it, but I think the design-life was much longer. I'll try to look that up if nobody else has it at hand.

EDIT: Here is one article. equipment world article There may be other resources.
Thanks! I'll check out that article in a bit. Personally, I don't think I'd like a derated engine for only extra longevity. I buy my trucks with extended warranties/maintenance plans, and would rather have the extra power. Isn't that sorta the point with these beasts?

Old 07-10-2018, 03:12 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know what you mean, but in all honesty I'd be quite happy with ~700 ft-lbs if it meant higher efficiency. I'd be thrilled if I could get 20-21 mpg cruising the highway at 75-mph. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything to suggest that is the case here.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:21 PM
PentaPop
Senior User
PentaPop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How about one of these? You’d just need a couple of extra steps for the camper!

Old 07-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Stevo5662
New User
Stevo5662 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a ‘17 F-350 XLT Supercab SRW. I have the full power 6.7. I specified That I wanted the full powered engine. The engine vin code for a ‘17 at full power is a “T”.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:49 PM
nuctrooper
Elder User
nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Stevo5662 View Post
I have a ‘17 F-350 XLT Supercab SRW. I have the full power 6.7. I specified That I wanted the full powered engine. The engine vin code for a ‘17 at full power is a “T”.
So, you got a SRW pickup with box delete then (not a CC)?

Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Stevo5662
New User
Nope, it was a chassis cab. Service body installed by local supplier.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:20 PM
Stevo5662
New User
Ordered the truck with the full powered engine, xlt trim package. Front buckets with the large center console. Sync 3, upfitters, powerscope mirrors. Average weight sitting around 9300lb with all my tools on. Average mpg has been about 15.4. Picked it up in November of 17 and I have a little over 32,000 miles on her.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Stevo5662
New User
Just for your info, a standard pickup with a box delete isn’t the same as a chassis cab. Normal pickups usually have a “humped” rear frame rail to accommodate the axle and suspension. Chassis cabs are engineered to have strait, flat frame rails all the way out behind the cab to make it easier for the aftermarket companies to design and mount different bed configurations. Found all this out when I was researching to install rear air springs.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 PM
TJP249
Senior User
TJP249 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Stevo5662 View Post
Ordered the truck with the full powered engine, xlt trim package. Front buckets with the large center console. Sync 3, upfitters, powerscope mirrors. Average weight sitting around 9300lb with all my tools on. Average mpg has been about 15.4. Picked it up in November of 17 and I have a little over 32,000 miles on her.
so what is the option code for the full powered diesel? See no mention of it in chassis cab order guide.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 PM
1olddogtwo
Senior User
1olddogtwo is starting off with a positive reputation.
His truck just has a bed delete.

C&C start with the 350 and up and the frame widths are different.

Yes they are detuned and have a different turbo set up.

My Max towing so far has been 48K with my 17 550.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 PM
Stevo5662
New User
I have to disagree, VIN positions 5-7 are X3A. Which is an F350-4x2-SuperCab Truck/Incomplete Vehicle. And position 8 on my VIN is a T. On the ‘17 ford vin breakdown guide from ford they don’t list any of the trucks as chassis cabs. They are all referred to as IV (incomplete vehicle). Granted, this vin guide is my only source for this info.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2017 VIN Guide V11.pdf (1.34 MB, 8 views)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 PM
Stevo5662
New User
I may have to retract my previous statement. X3E shows the same load out with only “IV” listed. So that one, I would assume, is a chassis cab. Makes me wonder too because my rear suspension does seem awfully weak. Would make sense if I have a standard pickup chassis. Anyone know dimensional checks on the frame where I can confirm if I have a standard frame or chassis cab frame? Wanted to install some airlift springs in the back but didn’t because they said it would not fit a chassis cab frame, but if I have a standard frame....😏

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering a Chassis Cab - questions

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.