1995 explorer low on power - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

1995 explorer low on power

Old 07-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Spaznaut
Elder User
Spaznaut is starting off with a positive reputation.
1995 explorer low on power

So my 1995 explorer (4.0) is acting like it has a miss. This started after I removed the muffler because it had rotted out. It was sporadic and would clear up but is now constant. It idles okay but rough and drives okay just low on power. I don't have a check engine light but it will pop-up once in awhile and always has.

I checked the spark plugs and wires (replaced about a year ago) and they look good and pulling off the wires one at a time from the ignition coil pack there is little change. The plugs looked good with none showing unburned gas or black/sooty. I checked the egr with a vacuum pump and it bogged the motor badly. Engine vacuum sits at 18 at idle but drops immediately to zero when the throttle is cranked. I don't hear any hissing and checking vacuum lines with the pump and a gauge I don't show any leaks. I've also sprayed throttle cleaner around the hoses and egr intake hose with no noticeable throttle difference. I'm not sure how to check the crankshaft position sensor but I have no issues starting it.

It feels like timing off or a vacuum leak but I can't find an issue with either and not sure how to check the timing (no clue where my timing light is) I think I found the timing plug doodad(technical name) behind the ignition coil. Thought about unpluging it and seeing if any change. Would the muffler being missing mess with the o2 sensor and cause it to run lean(doesn't seem to be rich but smells as if it could be running lean)? Not sure what I'm missing but didn't know if anyone here knows of something to check that I'm overlooking.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Spaznaut
Elder User
And now I have water dripping in the back. Looks like the drivers side head freeze plug possibly has a pin hole.

Pulled some codes today. 335, 332. Running 326, 536, 632. The one code is because I didn't cycle the o/d button and the other because I didn't do the brake pedal? Looks like egr but it tests good. Gonna look at the PFE next and maybe the crankshaft Position Sensor.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:02 AM
shorod
Postmaster
shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.
Have you checked the joint and rigid metal tube that connects the EGR to the exhaust? Since codes point to EGR, this started after doing exhaust work, and an issue with the EGR tube could cause a vacuum leak, it seems like something worth carefully inspecting.

-Rod

Old 07-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Spaznaut
Elder User
I sprayed carb cleaner around the tube and fitting going into the intake. Didn't seem to change the idle speed. I sprayed all around the intake and hoses to see if I could find something but no luck.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 AM
shorod
Postmaster
shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.
But doesn't the EGR tube on the 1995 Explorer have a hard fitting at one of the exhaust manifolds? Did you check there? I don't really recommend spraying carb cleaner on a hot exhaust manifold so start with a visual inspection or spray immediately after start up on a cold engine.

-Rod

Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Spaznaut
Elder User
It does with two ports coming up to the sensor that helps control the EGR I believe. There is no exhaust leak there that I can tell and should be very noticable if there was. And yeah I didn't want to spray carb cleaner onto the hot exhaust. I did check the rubber hoses coming up for leaks and found none . I thought about replacing them but was wondering if they were special since the exhaust gases would be pretty dang hot. I had a couple of vacuum lines bad right around there when I first bought the vehicle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.