Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball joint trouble.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
Shawn.54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ball joint trouble.

I have a 2002 F350 CC long bed drw 7.3 of course and when I purchased it it had some very chewed up front tires I jacked up the front end and used a bar to shake the tire to see if ball joints were loose.
Since I have been running it I noticed that the inside of both front tires are wearing quickly is there a way to tell what is bad.
Shawn

Old 07-07-2018, 11:43 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
You might have to take it to a good front end shop for an estimate. I found that the guys at the tire shop are not always that bright, they told me I needed a couple things but the ball joints were good but when I went to a real frame/front end shop they found I needed ball joints and what the tire guys told me was wrong. Just telling you this to advise going to a real front end shop. I didn't have the time or desire to do the job so I let them do it. You can always take your estimate home and do it yourself.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:11 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Check the tie rod ends and wheel bearings.
Inside wear might be negative toe or camber. If it's a solid axle front the camber 'should' be ok as long as it wasn't set wrong by someone and nothing's damaged. If it's twin beam, sagging springs or worn bushings can create negative camber.

Start with a visual camber check: do the tire sidewalls look vertical or are they outward at the bottom and inward at the top? If the latter it's negative camber and can cause inside wear.

Now a toe check: grab a tape measure, find a spot in the treads and measure side to side front and back of the front tires. There should be a little less width at the front (toe in). I don't know the exact spec but around 1/8". If there's more width at the front than rear (toe out) that will cause inside wear. The best way to get an accurate tape measure toe measurement is to raise the tires off the ground, spin them and use something to mark the tread so you have a perfect line all the way around both tires. Set it back down and roll it several feet in a straight line to settle everything back out from being jacked up. I've almost always just selected a tread block on each to measure from, but that can be difficult. When done right, a tape measure alignment is just as good as using a fancy machine.

On vehicles that have the same track width and tire/wheel size front and rear you can eyeball along the front sidewalls to the rear tires and get a good toe estimate, but many vehicles have a different front-rear track.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:18 PM
StrokinHer01
Senior User
StrokinHer01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jack up the front tires and push the top of the tire.. if it moves up and down bad ball joints

Old 07-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
Ok I jacked it up and used a bar to try and move them by lifting from underneath.
thanks
shawn

Old 07-09-2018, 02:03 PM
papadave
Freshman User
papadave is starting off with a positive reputation.
bought my 2001 in 2016, I had to do all of the front end to get it right. new tie rod ends, drag link ,all the ball joints, upper and lower,and both bearing units,and sway bar links. In the end it was worth the time and effort . it was a tough 9 miles to the alignment shop after all that but once it was aligned properly I'm one happy camper with it.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
What brand did you use?
shawn

Old 07-09-2018, 04:42 PM
papadave
Freshman User
papadave is starting off with a positive reputation.
mostly moog but had to go cheaper on the bearings for lack of funding but so far so good.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:45 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
Not a large budget here but this is a big job so I may get moog.
shawn

Old 07-09-2018, 06:53 PM
ZachinCO
Senior User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lots of Ball Joint videos on youtube. I think I looked at most when I did mine.
I used Moog. On the upper, I had to get different zerks to get clearance.
I also rented the tool set from the Irish autoparts to do the job, and built the pipe tool for the seal install.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
Where can I get dimensions for pipe tool Iím a machinist by trade an should be able to build one.
thanks for the information
shawn

Old 07-09-2018, 10:15 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
I currently have the vacuum hubs unhooked and Iím using manual.
will changing seals be necessary?
shawn

Old 07-10-2018, 02:45 PM
ZachinCO
Senior User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Shawn.54 View Post
I currently have the vacuum hubs unhooked and Iím using manual.
will changing seals be necessary?
shawn
I changed mine as the inner seal was shot.

Are you looking for the tool dimensions?

Old 07-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
Yes if dimensions are available I would make the tool.
Shawn

Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
Started tearing it down to replace ball joints and boy did it start getting expensive not only ball joints but seals and u joints rotors and pads.
shawn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ball joint trouble.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.