1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Babe the Blue Ox is SICK!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:43 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Let’s hope he isn’t sitting in the clink for driving the OX through their front window!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:52 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 97-psd
I am hoping no word from Glenn means he is putting some good miles on that new motor!
Agreed!

Originally Posted by quesey
The early model has that long plate if I remember right. But like the later block I used in my truck when I built it has a smaller 2 hole plate that will unbolt and only holds 2 lifters in
Thats the only way that part would come out. But I haven't looked at the lifter itself in awhile
So based on what you're saying, I did an interweb search and found this picture (I think this is from a '99+). Now that MAY be possible with the head on, IF you can reach that center bolt, IF you can remove that bolt, IF you can move the dogbone out of the way, IF you can get the lifter through the head and gasket, and IF you can get it all back together again! Anybody have a newer block than Jim to try this on?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:04 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Thanks everybody for sure. Went 400 miles today, I ran it hard at times but not to hard. Tried to vary the rpm's as much as possible to help break in. I was impressed with the boost and egt's. I could just flick the pedal and boost would just jump up there to 40psi. I had to run the ox before WOT to about 90mph before I saw 38. I contribute that to gaskets on the exhaust manifold, tight engine and the sxe turbo. The egt's were the best I've ever seen them but of course could still get them up there. I will not let them over 1200° ever again if I can help it.

Negatives, I know its just breaking in but I think the old motor had a little more power. I'm sure with time it will get better. The oil pressure wasn't as high as before but I have no idea what oil they put in after they dumped the break in oil. He said to run dino until 10K. I can't wait to get it changed as soon as possible. The last negative is when I get after it, it seems like I feel a vibration and slight miss. If I back off a second it goes away the power comes on??

Old 07-26-2018, 07:27 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad you got it going
Hope everything gos good

Old 07-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=oldbird1965;18106531
<snip>...
Nate, if Jasper see's the ARP's, springs and push rods they will void the warranty. If I blow it up near this shop, the shop said they would take care of it without telling Jasper. Will another Jasper shop do that? I doubt it! I've been delayed three weeks and don't know what else to do except to go for it.

Thanks to all of you for your help and concern. As always, this forum is the BEST!

If anybody wants to look at Jim's pictures I'll post them.[/QUOTE]

If you lose a headgasket or something related to your parts getting installed they might be able to claim their warranty is void, but I don’t think they could or should void the entire warranty. But then I’m not a lawyer. Hopefully it’s all a moot point and you won’t need any stinking warranty.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by quesey
Glad you got it going
Hope everything gos good
Thanks, hope so too!

Originally Posted by Bob_T

Thanks a lot, hope it keeps going.

If you lose a headgasket or something related to your parts getting installed they might be able to claim their warranty is void, but I don’t think they could or should void the entire warranty. But then I’m not a lawyer. Hopefully it’s all a moot point and you won’t need any stinking warranty.
Yeah, hopefully that is a moot point.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:56 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,191 Likes on 817 Posts
Thats just upsetting Glenn, but glad your bad on the road. I have a feeling that guy took you for a long ride on his story, and like Jim said its imposible to remove a lifter with out lifting the head on the older style 7.3 powerstroke on the later ones theres a slight chance that it can be done without removing tge head but the head gasket has to be destroyed in order to reach that center hold down bolt and plate holding the lifters and even at that its hard to align the lifter to the plate even when the heads off, cant imagine doing it with thehead in place.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:23 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Made it another 350 miles and it ran good. I'm so impressed with boost and egt's, something I have never had but read about and was jealous! Got the holy crap scared out of me in Chicago where there was a traffic jam. I've gone thru that place 100 times and I think only once made it thru without a traffic jam. Saw the brakes lights start coming on and I hit the brakes and felt the 5er come onto me. Looked down and my brake controller said I wasn't hooked up to a trailer! I slammed on the brakes and the poor OX had to do all the braking until I got stopped, barely! It was time to get new shorts on. The cord got wrapped around some stuff and pulled loose. I wrapped a bungee cord around it so it wouldn't happen again. That's all I would have needed, a smashed new motor! The thrills of traveling, lol. Horrible, horrible roads!!! Its a wonder anything is in one piece in the 5er.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:40 AM
Airstreamer67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glenn, what is it about the boost and EGTs that you're impressed with? How high the boost and low the EGTs? And why are they so good compared to your older equipment?

Great to hear your only problems are a disattached brake cord, horrible traffic and potholes galore. Back to normal things again. The glory of RVing!

Old 07-28-2018, 07:44 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Made it another 350 miles and it ran good. I'm so impressed with boost and egt's, something I have never had but read about and was jealous! Got the holy crap scared out of me in Chicago where there was a traffic jam. I've gone thru that place 100 times and I think only once made it thru without a traffic jam. Saw the brakes lights start coming on and I hit the brakes and felt the 5er come onto me. Looked down and my brake controller said I wasn't hooked up to a trailer! I slammed on the brakes and the poor OX had to do all the braking until I got stopped, barely! It was time to get new shorts on. The cord got wrapped around some stuff and pulled loose. I wrapped a bungee cord around it so it wouldn't happen again. That's all I would have needed, a smashed new motor! The thrills of traveling, lol. Horrible, horrible roads!!! Its a wonder anything is in one piece in the 5er.
Aren’t you used to taking 10 miles to stop a train!? Lol. Glad it’s working well for you Glenn.

Originally Posted by Airstreamer67
Glenn, what is it about the boost and EGTs that you're impressed with? How high the boost and low the EGTs? And why are they so good compared to your older equipment?

Great to hear your only problems are a disattached brake cord, horrible traffic and potholes galore. Back to normal things again. The glory of RVing!
My guess is it has something to do with that 366SXE pushing more air.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:02 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
It sounds like the old 366 with barders help didn't even hold a candle to this new improved 366. Not that any of us wanted that to happen but I for one had been curious for a real world compare of the 2.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago potholes. They owe me some hubcaps. While you're crossing Chicago would you please keep an eye out for my missing hubcaps?

Old 07-28-2018, 11:07 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm glad it's running good Glenn! Chicago is a pain. Took me 3 hours to go 7 miles on interstate once. Never again. Ok. Here's to verify no way to change the lifter without pulling the head. In the one head I checked there was only one pushrod hole the lifter even fit through. Besides that you'd have to get in there to get the bolt out that holds the lifter plate in place. Then get the plate out or at least out of the way. Then IF you somehow got that, you have to get the lifter out. Then you have to get a new lifter in, have it turned the right way to fit the plate back on, and reassemble. Not gonna happen.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:14 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Sounds like the shop on question should get a phone call..maybe be called out, at least let them know you know they are full of horses****.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:39 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Airstreamer67

It all about more boost (air from new turbo) to burn the fuel which produces lower egt's. Potholes galore is putting it mild. They should hang their heads in embarrassment

Originally Posted by tshrager

Aren’t you used to taking 10 miles to stop a train!? Lol. Glad it’s working well for you Glenn.

My guess is it has something to do with that 366SXE pushing more air.
Thanks Todd. The problem is when you don't have the ten miles to stop it becomes a edge of the seat scare!! lol

Originally Posted by fordman67
It sounds like the old 366 with barders help didn't even hold a candle to this new improved 366. Not that any of us wanted that to happen but I for one had been curious for a real world compare of the 2.
I think your right Aaron and probably more compression helps too. I'm thinking the vibration I'm feeling is that darn DP again. I'll have to check that sometime.

Originally Posted by 867.309
Chicago potholes. They owe me some hubcaps. While you're crossing Chicago would you please keep an eye out for my missing hubcaps?
I'll look for your hubcaps at the same I look for the four rear dually center caps, lol. I give up on those and painted my hubs black.

Originally Posted by 427 fordman

I'm glad it's running good Glenn! Chicago is a pain. Took me 3 hours to go 7 miles on interstate once. Never again. Ok. Here's to verify no way to change the lifter without pulling the head. In the one head I checked there was only one pushrod hole the lifter even fit through. Besides that you'd have to get in there to get the bolt out that holds the lifter plate in place. Then get the plate out or at least out of the way. Then IF you somehow got that, you have to get the lifter out. Then you have to get a new lifter in, have it turned the right way to fit the plate back on, and reassemble. Not gonna happen.
Good pictures and explanation Darin! I wish I could say never again about Chicago but unless I go way out of my way.............I hope your making good progress on the Beast's heart.

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Sounds like the shop on question should get a phone call..maybe be called out, at least let them know you know they are full of horses****.
I would love to Bryon but I will be back thru there in Sep and if I'm having any problems I want to stop there. I also told them I wanted all the old turbo parts and the exhaust housing is missing. James Barder told me that I could get a reducer boot and maybe gain a little more, if I heard him right and understood him correctly.

Quick Reply: Babe the Blue Ox is SICK!