2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2017 Expedition Platinum wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 03:16 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
2017 Expedition Platinum wrecked

Happy Independence Day guys. I just picked up a 2017 Platinum Edition Expy EL. 3.5L ecoboost 3.73 gears, HD towing etc. I bought it as a salvage, so this should be fun... Any thoughts or suggestions? My plan is to remove everything damaged first and assess it from there. Obvious things that will need replacing are two airbags, driver fender, complete core support, radiator etc., grill, bumper, hood, airbox, engine cover and I'm sure a few other things. It runs and drives, so for the price I think I'll be doing just fine. I need to buy a Ford DVD manual, but the only one I've found on ebay is $299. I think I'll pass... Here are a few pics:

Old 07-05-2018, 05:43 AM
tacoduck
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can't see the photos, but congrats on your new purchase.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:49 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tacoduck
can't see the photos, but congrats on your new purchase.
I can't either all of a sudden. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe Flickr is on the fritz.
edit: I can see them fine when I go in to edit the post...

Old 07-05-2018, 06:54 AM
EXPE15
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could I get a OOOHHHRRRAAAAHHH! SGT HAWK!!!!!! Former USN/USMC Airwing F/A-1 O level Safety Equipment Mechanic.....Ejection seats...AKA "Pilot Popper"

Congrats on the purchase but I am having trouble seeing the photos too. I hope there was no frame damage even the slightest crack can manifest itself down the road...I would clean, inspect, and possibly weld reinforcements to the frame.

You really want to get some welding, framing, body and paint work tips...….Watch "Power Nation" on Paramount TV....Formerly Spike TV Sunday Mornings.... Four different episodes on engine, off road, trucks and Muscle cars.....The Truck Tech episode could point to some good tips. Another good spot is Car Fix on Velocity. The truck episodes may not be Expedition but some of the concepts and techniques could be applicable to a wide variety of models both trucks and cars.....they even had a Boat on a recent series.

Good Luck!!

Old 07-06-2018, 07:54 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXPE15
Could I get a OOOHHHRRRAAAAHHH! SGT HAWK!!!!!! Former USN/USMC Airwing F/A-1 O level Safety Equipment Mechanic.....Ejection seats...AKA "Pilot Popper"

Congrats on the purchase but I am having trouble seeing the photos too. I hope there was no frame damage even the slightest crack can manifest itself down the road...I would clean, inspect, and possibly weld reinforcements to the frame.

You really want to get some welding, framing, body and paint work tips...….Watch "Power Nation" on Paramount TV....Formerly Spike TV Sunday Mornings.... Four different episodes on engine, off road, trucks and Muscle cars.....The Truck Tech episode could point to some good tips. Another good spot is Car Fix on Velocity. The truck episodes may not be Expedition but some of the concepts and techniques could be applicable to a wide variety of models both trucks and cars.....they even had a Boat on a recent series.

Good Luck!!
Oooh Rah!

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I'm in the middle of a move to VA along with a new job etc.
It looks like the pics are working now. Can anyone confirm? As far as welding goes, I'm a pretty good welder, but if it needed it I'd have a pro do it. I doubt it's going to need it though. It took a pretty hard hit, but looking at the original insurance claim photos, it looks like it was a pole right in the middle front. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. I've done a few build threads over the years. One for my 69 Camaro. That's what I'll try to do here. Unfortunately my new garagemahal isn't finished yet, so we'll see what happens.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:32 PM
U9000
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nope, still not working. When I try to open in a separate window, I'm taken to the Yahoo login page.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:37 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by U9000
Nope, still not working. When I try to open in a separate window, I'm taken to the Yahoo login page.
Thanks. Must be this site. It doesn't happen on others. I'll see if I can find a work around.

Try 3... I made them public even though I usually don't have to.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:36 AM
EXPE15
Junior User
Looks good for just hitting a telephone pole. as long as no frame or firewall damage looks like you have a nice little weekend project....Probably more than one weekend. Take plenty of Before, in progress and After photos. Other than the obvious Airbag deployment how much interior damage was there? Was the color Ingot Silver or white Platinum?

Old 07-07-2018, 07:54 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXPE15
Looks good for just hitting a telephone pole. as long as no frame or firewall damage looks like you have a nice little weekend project....Probably more than one weekend. Take plenty of Before, in progress and After photos. Other than the obvious Airbag deployment how much interior damage was there? Was the color Ingot Silver or white Platinum?
Thanks. I guess the pictures are working now. It's UX Ingot Silver. Thankfully there seems to be zero interior damage and because it appears to have hit dead center, it doesn't look like it got the frame horns. I think someone must have known the adjuster to get this one totalled. I just don't see the damage exceeding the value... MSRP on it was $69k. It sold originally for $59k.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:59 AM
EXPE15
Junior User
Ingot Silver is nice that's the color of my 14' Taurus SHO, good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 PM
ad2435
Junior User
Hard to believe that is a total.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ad2435
Hard to believe that is a total.
I'm with you. The only thing I can figure is that the owner knew the adjuster and had him total it so he could get a new one.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:25 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Here are some updated pics. There ended up being a couple of surprises, which isn't a surprise. Thankfully it hit dead center and didn't touch the frame horns. It did get the cross member though. It's only dented in, so I'll be able to fix that in short order. The big surprises were the diff and the rack and pinion. The diff had a big crack in it and the rack and pinion had a bunch of damage. I picked up a new diff and the rack today. Not cheap, but could have been a lot worse. I'm thinking about forgoing the factory bumper for an Iron Bull set up.
I've driven it across the yard, but I didn't want to run it for more than a minute without the radiator and fans etc. It runs excellent. The interior is nearly flawless. Everything including the four wheel drive and the a/c works fine. The stereo sounds amazing.
Here are a few pics. Disassembly comes next...

Old 08-03-2018, 06:53 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Sorry for the jacked up pictures guys. Any suggestions? I'm posting the bbcode from Flickr. I posted the question in the site information section on the forum too. This is the only place I have the problem...

Old 08-03-2018, 06:56 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Starting to get pissed off at Ford-Trucks.com. Every time I ask about what the problem is all of a sudden with my pics I'm ignored. This is the only site that I have problems posting pics on and yes, I've searched here to see if I can find a fix... I guess after 15 years of being on the site, I don't matter to the mods anymore.