1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Guage wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 11:04 AM
4ever4ord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guage wiring

I have a 61 with the standard speedo guage cluster. It is the one with idiot lights for the alternator and oil pressure. I found another cluster at the junk yard that has guages in place of the idiot lights. Does anyone know what it would take to modify the dash wiring so I can use these guages? Thanks

Old 09-21-2003, 12:00 PM
johnsalterego
Senior User
Guage wiring

You will need the sending units for the gauges; In order to use the gauges all you have to do is get the right senders, supply power to one side of the gauge (get it from the power regulator sending power to the gas gauge), and connect the other side (it should be marked with a stamped "S") to the the idiot light wire. Then just replace your sending unit with the one for the gauge... presto! If the new sender has two terminals on it just ground the other side. If your current sender has two wires take care to find out which one is hot and which one runs to the dash...

Old 09-21-2003, 07:38 PM
4ever4ord
New User
Guage wiring

Thanks a bunch.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:46 PM
4ever4ord
New User
Guage wiring

The Amp guage does not have terminals on the back side. How does it wire up?

Old 09-23-2003, 06:31 PM
johnsalterego
Senior User
Guage wiring

ah, sorrry, I thought you were just talking about oil and temp gauges!

Be VERY VERY carefull wiring up amp gauges - you can easily burn the whole wiring harness up, if not the whole truck, if any of the wiring shorts out! An Amp meter wires between the battery and the main feed leading to the fuse box. You will have to cut into that wire and extend both sides, one to each side of the gauge. The charging lead from the alternator then runs to the fuse box side of the gauge. I'd suggest soldering any connections or terminals you use as they carry a lot of current. These wires will all need to be very heavy gauge wires as they must be able to carry all of the power the truck uses without overheating (except the starter motor of course). Invest in some fusible links and mount them as close to the battery as possible, just incase something does go wrong. Another link in the charging lead isn't a bad idea either...

There is a really good reason manufacturers quit using ammeters a long time ago and started using Volt meters instead. Unless you just have to have the total original look I'd really forego the Amp gauge and install an aftermarket volt meter instead; they are simpler, easier to install, and really tell you a lot more about what the charging system is doing than an Amp gauge.

Last edited by johnsalterego; 09-23-2003 at 06:35 PM.