1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Pulled the doghouse, found this? And other MISC wires.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:40 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
Your '96 E150 doesn't have it, but the OP's E250 is a 1989.

I mentioned that because in 96 the lack of the Thermactor system is decided by the GVW rating.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Jake_TheGreat
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, i just got a call from the automotive shop doing the work on the Van. They said that they had 2 problems. They managed to get the correct resistor to get the blower motor working but they've also got to replace something called the Multi-Function Relay which is behind the dash.

For the second problem, they were looking at getting the air conditioning system working. Well, it appears that someone has completely cut out the A/C condenser and the cuts looked pretty old and if he was going to guess, he would guess that the A/C compressor was shot and I'd be looking at around $1100-$1400 to have the system replaced. Is it a feasible idea that I could replace the components myself, then have the system filled myself?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:33 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake_TheGreat
For the second problem, they were looking at getting the air conditioning system working. Well, it appears that someone has completely cut out the A/C condenser and the cuts looked pretty old and if he was going to guess, he would guess that the A/C compressor was shot and I'd be looking at around $1100-$1400 to have the system replaced. Is it a feasible idea that I could replace the components myself, then have the system filled myself?

I would have expected it to be even more then that. The parts for the front system are readily available. You can also get the rear evaporator but the hoses for the rear system may need to be custom made by a shop that can make them. If you can handle doing the mechanical work yourself then that would save quite a bit on the labor side. But you are still looking at around $500-$800 in parts. Then you'd still need to take it to a shop. Have a vacuum pump hooked up to the system and then have it charged. It's plenty of work but it is doable with some patience.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:39 AM
Jake_TheGreat
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by fordman75
I would have expected it to be even more then that. The parts for the front system are readily available. You can also get the rear evaporator but the hoses for the rear system may need to be custom made by a shop that can make them. If you can handle doing the mechanical work yourself then that would save quite a bit on the labor side. But you are still looking at around $500-$800 in parts. Then you'd still need to take it to a shop. Have a vacuum pump hooked up to the system and then have it charged. It's plenty of work but it is doable with some patience.
As this is the first time I'd potentially be installing an A/C system, would I need to replace all of this? Would anything be missing except for hoses? Labor is definitely what will kill me if i take it to a shop.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:11 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Don't buy anything right yet... I will be back later today when I have more time to post... BUT I replaced the complete system on my 88 E150 conversion van.. There are several things to look at before ordering parts... Was the original system dealer installed or factory installed? Which compressor did they use? What line fittings are left to make new lines from? I would probably start by searching tor replacement lines and seeing what is available. Some will be very hard to find in mot almost impossible. certain lines match up with certain compressors.. So before you buy anything, make sure you can get everything together for your particular set up..

Old 06-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Jake_TheGreat
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by annaleigh
Don't buy anything right yet... I will be back later today when I have more time to post... BUT I replaced the complete system on my 88 E150 conversion van.. There are several things to look at before ordering parts... Was the original system dealer installed or factory installed? Which compressor did they use? What line fittings are left to make new lines from? I would probably start by searching tor replacement lines and seeing what is available. Some will be very hard to find in mot almost impossible. certain lines match up with certain compressors.. So before you buy anything, make sure you can get everything together for your particular set up..
Oh, i don't have that kind of money right now anyways. I was just trying to get an idea of what I might need to replace and what components might be damaged. The system I believe is originally from the manufacturer.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:12 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Pretty much what @annaleigh said. First thing first you need to know if yours is factory A/C or dealer installed. If it's a factory system your compressor kit says it's for a dealer installed. If it's correct for your van I'd prefer the GPD 9731850 compressor kit because it also includes the O-ring set for the whole system.

Then your list didn't have a condenser on it. Rockauto has two choices listed: OSC 4156 or APDI/PRO 7014156.

Then there are the front hoses: FOUR SEASONS 55745 & FOUR SEASONS 56680. Like I said before, the rear A/C hoses might be a custom made only deal. You'll have to look and see what's left on your van. Then do some searching to see if any of it is still available to buy anywhere. Maybe Numberdummy could give you some Ford part #'s for the rear lines to check if they are available anywhere.

Don't rush into it and buy the wrong parts. Take your time, do the research, double check everything and get what you need.

The worse part of replacing these parts is probably going to be the evaporators. Because to replace these you have to tear into the HVAC assemblies. And due to your van's age and the system being open for a while it's best to replace the evaporators too..

I'm still trying to decide if I want to fix the A/C system on my 89 E350 Club Wagon with front & rear A/C. Or I just may remove the whole system all together. Working A/C is real nice, but I work my vans hard and am trying to do everything I can to get them to run cooler. So I may sacrifice the A/C on mine.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:03 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
He'd have to replace everything today. The old system was for R12, nothing you'll find today for that stuff. Different everything including the lines (seals) And I doubt he'd have a dealer installed system that late a date. Might be simpler to install a 110V window unit in the rear and an inverter to run it. Be a whole lot cheaper. Might not look that great, but his van's no beauty queen anyway. Total cost would be less than $400 for the unit and inverter.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:28 PM
Jake_TheGreat
Cross-Country
Pretty much what @annaleigh said. First thing first you need to know if yours is factory A/C or dealer installed. If it's a factory system your compressor kit says it's for a dealer installed. If it's correct for your van I'd prefer the GPD 9731850 compressor kit because it also includes the O-ring set for the whole system.

Then your list didn't have a condenser on it. Rockauto has two choices listed: OSC 4156 or APDI/PRO 7014156.

Then there are the front hoses: FOUR SEASONS 55745 & FOUR SEASONS 56680. Like I said before, the rear A/C hoses might be a custom made only deal. You'll have to look and see what's left on your van. Then do some searching to see if any of it is still available to buy anywhere. Maybe Numberdummy could give you some Ford part #'s for the rear lines to check if they are available anywhere.

Don't rush into it and buy the wrong parts. Take your time, do the research, double check everything and get what you need.

The worse part of replacing these parts is probably going to be the evaporators. Because to replace these you have to tear into the HVAC assemblies. And due to your van's age and the system being open for a while it's best to replace the evaporators too..

I'm still trying to decide if I want to fix the A/C system on my 89 E350 Club Wagon with front & rear A/C. Or I just may remove the whole system all together. Working A/C is real nice, but I work my vans hard and am trying to do everything I can to get them to run cooler. So I may sacrifice the A/C on mine.
I added the condenser to the cart, but it appears that it didnt drop in. Yes, hopefully when it cools down a bit or maybe even tonight, i'll get to checking out the entire system. I do want to create a pros and cons list, contemplate using a window unit either within a rear window or internally under a sleeping platform, and we will definitely be trying out sleeping in the van before we commit to getting it fixed. We may find that we're okay with a fantastic fan in the roof or something along those lines.

Originally Posted by baddad457
He'd have to replace everything today. The old system was for R12, nothing you'll find today for that stuff. Different everything including the lines (seals) And I doubt he'd have a dealer installed system that late a date. Might be simpler to install a 110V window unit in the rear and an inverter to run it. Be a whole lot cheaper. Might not look that great, but his van's no beauty queen anyway. Total cost would be less than $400 for the unit and inverter.
Come on now! She's beautiful! We're going to explore this idea as well, thanks for the thought. I want it to be as much of a stealth camper as possible, so i've been looking into ways that people have added them internally.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by baddad457
The R12 to R134A conversion is not that complicated.

Yea your right, why fix it right when you can cobble and rig something together. Just yank a window out grab some plywood and duct tape and you are all set. And who needs to control the A/C from the drivers seat when you can just ask a passenger to adjust the unit for you. If going non factory unit, a roof mount RV unit would look a whole lot better. But I would fix the factory system.

And that's kind of disrespectful. I think that van looks damn good. Hell, my 89 looks a whole lot worse.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Something else to think, about..
What do you plan on using the van for?
Do you need the rear ac?

Here is my set up for the lines with just front ac.

This is the front ac only and only requires 3 lines.
line 1 which is dependent on which compressor you use.

Line 2

Line 3

Then all is left is the condenser, evaporator, dryer, orifice tube, oil, R134, and compressor...

Old 06-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Jake_TheGreat
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by annaleigh
Something else to think, about..
What do you plan on using the van for?
Do you need the rear ac?

Here is my set up for the lines with just front ac.

This is the front ac only and only requires 3 lines.
line 1 which is dependent on which compressor you use.

Line 2

Line 3

Then all is left is the condenser, evaporator, dryer, orifice tube, oil, R134, and compressor...
Thanks for this! One trip I want to take the van on is from Indiana to the Grand Canyon as my mother wants to see it. There will only be 4 of us in the van, so I'm not sure how reasonable rear a/c is or how the front a/c alone will work to cool down the entire interior. Is rear a/c even necessary?

Old 06-29-2018, 03:33 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Thanks for this! One trip I want to take the van on is from Indiana to the Grand Canyon as my mother wants to see it. There will only be 4 of us in the van, so I'm not sure how reasonable rear a/c is or how the front a/c alone will work to cool down the entire interior. Is rear a/c even necessary?
The driver and front passenger will be fine. You'll have the front floor and dash vents to cool that whole interior of the van. No vents for the rear passengers. The front unit will work but it will take a whole lot longer to cool it down. And the back of the van is probably always going to be warmer. If you don't have passengers in the back of the van then you'll probably be fine. But you are talking about driving a window van to the southwest.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:26 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
The R12 to R134A conversion is not that complicated.

Yea your right, why fix it right when you can cobble and rig something together. Just yank a window out grab some plywood and duct tape and you are all set. And who needs to control the A/C from the drivers seat when you can just ask a passenger to adjust the unit for you. If going non factory unit, a roof mount RV unit would look a whole lot better. But I would fix the factory system.

And that's kind of disrespectful. I think that van looks damn good. Hell, my 89 looks a whole lot worse.
What's disrespectful is this post. If he'll do a search, there has recently been a thread about installing window units here. And they're not cobbled together. Maybe you should check that out instead of referring to those guy's installs as such. I simply offered the OP a simple cheaper solution to a problem, instead of spending three grand on a van of about equal value judging from it's paint job and rust. And seems seeing his reply there was no harm, no foul done. A roof mount, isn't such a good idea after reading that other thread, there are pitfalls to that type as well. I for one think that would also look better, but after reading the minuses from that other thread, no longer readily agree.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:32 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Been there, done that way back when I was a kid. And in a van with limited A/C ( 69 Club Wagon Chateau) As I recall that trip, rear A/C you'll need it in 90-110 heat. That 69's so called "rear A/C" was more in the middle of the driver's side wall and didn't work too well (not enough air flow to do the job) The canyon is pretty high in elevation but it DOES get hot in summer. I would go in spring or fall in that van. We also took one trip out west in a 65 Chevy van with no A/C, but that was too New Mexico and Colorado, the only thing I recall was the dust from having the windows down most of the time.

Quick Reply: Pulled the doghouse, found this? And other MISC wires.