1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Is this a GPR Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 01:11 PM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quirk is on eBay. They have Ford dealerships in New England. The probably have an 800 number to order from too. I felt good about ordering from them since I have actually been to one of their dealerships. There are counterfeit name brand parts out there. Don't know about Motorcraft but I don't put anything past thieves these days.

We have very helpful people on this forum who sell good parts. It's good to support them, works both ways.

I don't know how well the system protects itself from high pressures without the ICP. Seems like it should be OK but it might be a limp-home thing. Does it set the check engine light? I know some tunes buck up the pressure. Don't know how much.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 AM
harleymc31
Trailering
Well, yesterday sucked. I bought a $170 IPC from Advance Auto parts, installed it, cleaned the connector, and went to start the truck. No luck. So, even though the IPC was full of oil, apparently that was not the problem, or not the only problem. So the flow chart says to check the HPOP pressure with a mechanical gauge or code reader, of which I have neither. My rig is a 1995, but it has an OPB2 port, so I go to O'Reillys and their Bosch reader can't connect. Then I go to Auto Zone, and their Innova reader makes a beep, but when hooked up to the computer it says 'no codes'. It only reads 'check engine' codes he says, but this other one can do live updates, just buy it for $240 and return it later for a full refund. So I take it home, and the only options on the vehicle menu start with 1996. I try to trick it by saying my rig is a 1996 7.3L F-250, but it won't connect to it at all. So I drive back to the store for my refund, and now have waster most of my Sunday afternoon to get absolutely nowhere. Put on my shoes and went for a run, because otherwise I was going to shoot somebody.

I did check the HPOP level, it has plenty of oil in it. Here's the other thing - once I get the truck started, as happens occasionally, then it does fine. I must have started it 6 more times and drove it around once I finally got it started, all with no issues. The weather was about 68 degrees yesterday. Could this just be a glow plug issue? I don't know how to test my glow plugs, but even if just a few were working I felt like it should start at these warm temperatures.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:47 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
It should start at 68° without GP's. Your problem 'might' be the Advance Auto IPC, you should buy motorcraft. Riffraff is a good source on here. Not sure on a 95 but AE works on my 97.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 AM
harleymc31
Trailering
When I unplug the Advance Auto IPC it still won't start.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:04 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 899 Likes on 683 Posts
the ODB scanners at stores wont work well, you can get a BT dongle and an ap on android cheap

Old 07-02-2018, 02:37 PM
harleymc31
Trailering
I'm trying to follow the flow chart, but I'm stuck on the HPOP since I don't have a gauge that goes to 500psi, and there aren't scanners available that will read an OBP2 connector on a 1995 vehicle. If I buy a BT scanner and app, how do I know that it will work with a 1995 vehicle with an OPB2 connector? All the car parts guys tell me that they didn't go to OPB2 until 1996, and my plug is under the glove box instead of on the driver's side. Is this an aftmarket mod that the previous owner installed?

On the other hand, if the truck runs clean once its going, and accelerates smoothly, doesn't that suggest that the HPOP is doing it's job well supplying high pressure oil to the injectors?

Old 07-02-2018, 03:44 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
My 95 works with the following.

scanner to monitor your engine

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-TORQUE-ANDROID/dp/B00AAOOQJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473776759&sr=8-1&keywords=vgate+OBD2 https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-TORQUE-ANDROID/dp/B00AAOOQJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473776759&sr=8-1&keywords=vgate+OBD2

Torque Pro
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

Use the communication in the profile
SAE J1850-PWM

make sure you add in Ford PIDs

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ch.CarGaugePro

people like it cause it will pull codes, buzz test and CCT

Warning, Some OLD PCM's have to be flashed before you can pull codes

Find out your IPR% duty at idle, when its too high it means your injector orings are shot.

or list where you are from and maybe someone could offer to connect and see if it works on your

Old 07-02-2018, 09:19 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I am not very "tech" savvy... Can I just buy a used Android Tablet and this Bluetooth Scanner and be up and running after I download the Torque App?
Sorry for the dumb question...

Old 07-03-2018, 07:55 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
I am not very "tech" savvy... Can I just buy a used Android Tablet and this Bluetooth Scanner and be up and running after I download the Torque App?
Sorry for the dumb question...
So long as the tablet meets the specs for the app and your truck has been flashed

Runs well on my BlackBerry Priv and DTEK60 phone

Old 07-07-2018, 09:26 AM
harleymc31
Trailering
I haven't been to a mechanic in 10 years, but it looks like I met my match. I don't know what it means to flash the PCM, or what a buzz test is, or what the IPR duty cycle would or should be. I don't have Android, and I see that there are dozens of readers from VGate on Amazon, but not clear what's different from one to the next. It looks like I'll just have to take this to a mechanic and take out a second mortgage on the house.

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Spokane, WA?

Harley

Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 AM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts
I went and read this and I will ask have you tried to plug the block heater in? Let it warm for a couple hours and try to start? I may have missed it.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Senior User
You can check your HPOP pressure with a mechanical gauge. I did mine. Here's a link to my thread>

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-low-icp.html

My thread was a lot of BS from me trying to learn. It's not as complicated as I make it look.

The link in the no-start flowchart also shows what you need.

You need a gauge that goes a lot higher than 500psi. Your HPOP can pump up 3600psi or so. A 5000psi gauge is $10 on eBay. Tractor supply sells cheap hoses. Be safe, hydraulics can maim you for life.

I got a cheap fitting from eBay to deadhead my HPOP. I don't know how safe it is to do that. I was careful to limit how high the pressure went.

The OBDlink MX BT adapter I got was not the cheapest but I'll use it on any OBDII vehicle for years to come. It is on eBay, Amazon, etc.

I would be real scared to take this to a mechanic unless you know an honest, trustworthy one who really knows these trucks. If you pay someone to learn on your truck it probably will get real ugly.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:23 PM
harleymc31
Trailering
Buddy - I haven't tried plugging in the block heater. It was in the 80's here the last time I tried to start it, so I don't think it's a glow plug problem. Or would that tell me something else?

867.309 - I also don't think it's a HPOP problem since the truck runs and accelerates fine in those instances where I am able to get it started. But if I were to get a pressure filled 5000 psi gauge off eBay, would that be a 1/4" NPT thread? That seams about the size of the fitting I took off the top of the HPOP reservoir to check that there was fluid in there.
It looks like the OBDLink MX BT adapter doesn't work with an iPhone.

Harley

Old 07-08-2018, 07:51 AM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymc31
Buddy - I haven't tried plugging in the block heater. It was in the 80's here the last time I tried to start it, so I don't think it's a glow plug problem. Or would that tell me something else?

867.309 - I also don't think it's a HPOP problem since the truck runs and accelerates fine in those instances where I am able to get it started. But if I were to get a pressure filled 5000 psi gauge off eBay, would that be a 1/4" NPT thread? That seams about the size of the fitting I took off the top of the HPOP reservoir to check that there was fluid in there.
It looks like the OBDLink MX BT adapter doesn't work with an iPhone.

Harley
When I read this I thought it said 60*. At 80* yea I don't think glow plugs.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:51 PM
96f250extcab
Freshman User
I'm assuming he said plug in your block heater because psd have a problem with cold oil with worn injectors. Wouldnt help at 86° though. At 60° mine had slow starts. 20 or 30 it was no start without the block heater. Puttinng a gauge on your resiviour would show you lpop psi to the resivior. Haven't read up on how to mechanically test hpop but I'm assuming it would be off of the lines going from hpop to the head. They are -6jic I think. My best guess is to cap off one of the lines, then attach the other to a hose running to your gauge. Again I'm not sure if this is the right procedure, but that would show you the exact pressure hpop is making. Or you could take one of the 5/8 plugs off the top of the head and get a reading there. #8 or 10 orb. I think

Quick Reply: Is this a GPR Problem