2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Portable air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:18 AM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by xETERNALx
The Northern Tools one listed above has some good specs, but seems cheap (in price) for what you get. Is it as good as it reads on paper? It pulls 30AMPs. Would be perfect for at the RV when I need to blow dirt out of chairs, air up tires, blow sand off the kids at the beach. I could even throw a plug on it and plug it in.

One question I have is noise. Every small compressor I have had is just so loud. We have helper bags on my wifes Armada. I use to hate airing them up in the morning before leaving the campsite (if I forgot in the evening). Are these loud?
Yes, that Klutch compressor looks very good for the price. It also looks exactly like the Superflow MV-50 and Masterflow MF-1050 (sold online and on the shelf at Pepboys.... A duplicate of MV-50). If it's the same..... I would say very good for the price.

I have not found these to be loud iMO. Of course all compressors make some noise. I find these to be on the mild side.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:45 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by duckduke
B4 you buy a generator and compressor............ you should first consider this.

It's an Oasis compressor. It's the top dog. Others have mentioned Viar, Superflow and other bag systems............. this one is in it's own class.
Click here for a comparison.

If you want speed....... this is the ticket. But the compressor will run you $1400-$1700. It will beat anything that has been discussed hands down.

Actually........ there are CO2 systems that beat the Oasis if you want to deal with getting/maintaining compressed CO2.
That's a nice compressor comparison write-up. Unfortunately, it's from 2005. Despite the age of the comparison, it does point out that VIAIR was at that time the best bang for the buck. VIAIR has been at the top of my list.

My RV already has an onboard compressor and tank. I need to figure out if I can get by with changing just the compressor or if replacing the tank and compressor is warranted.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:59 AM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts
These are several good looking air compressor and tank installs. It looks like they're all on trucks that live in climates where they don't have to deal with snow, slush, anti-skid materials, salt and other corrosive anti-icing agents. I wonder how they'd survive in a rust belt state? As much as I'd like to have a permanently mounted air compressor, that's the issue that's keeping me from doing an under-the-bed install.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:15 AM
jakematic
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6.2caribou
It looks like they're all on trucks that live in climates where they don't have to deal with snow, slush, anti-skid materials, salt and other corrosive anti-icing agents. I wonder how they'd survive in a rust belt state? As much as I'd like to have a permanently mounted air compressor, that's the issue that's keeping me from doing an under-the-bed install.
Some of the same concerns I have, along with drilling / mounting more stuff under the truck.

In NC there is a propensity to make the roads like a salt lick every time there is a 0.1% chance of a flake 1,000 miles away.
Also we have a LOT of clay here which is quite alkaline. It gets in everything on paved roads and blows through the neighborhood constantly.... forget about the 'dirt' (read: mud) roads I travel.

The day my buddies saw my new F-250 the first thing they all did is scramble underneath.
Q: What are you looking for?? A: We want to see a clean truck. Ours all have to be pressure washed before they can be worked on. Yours will be too eventually.

Am seriously considering putting a Viair compressor in the cab near the inverter and running the air line to a tank in the bed.
Yes it will be loud, but you won't be running it while driving!