1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Differences between the F1 and the F3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Dazzle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences between the F1 and the F3?

Morning All

I'm sorry if this has been talked about before or lots of times. I'm happy for someone to point me towards a link.

But, I've now purchased myself a 1951 F3 which does/will require some work which I'm aware of but I've started to think about things I could possibly do to help myself out.
So, looking through the local classified I saw various adds for projects or untouched/unloved trucks that might possibly have some good parts that could be utilised.
The thing is though, I'm new to these trucks and don't know a lot about them.

So my question is, what's the differences between the 2 models and even, what's the differences between the years?
This forum covers 1948 thru to 1956 and apart from the obvious differences in grills, what about the rest of the truck??
Same chassis? Same cab? Beds the same?

Thanks for taking the time to look and for any subsequent help in this matter

Dazzle

Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Hello Dazzle,

The F2/F3 cab and everything in it is the same with the occasional exception of the parking brake.
The front bumper, hood and grille is the same.
The front axle, and steering wheel is the same.

What is different:
The frame.
All four fenders.
The steering box.
All the brakes.
Rear axle.
Rear springs.
The running boards.
The bed and tailgate.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Old 06-12-2018, 10:10 AM
Dazzle
New User
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Hello Dazzle,

The F2/F3 cab and everything in it is the same with the occasional exception of the parking brake.
The front bumper, hood and grille is the same.
The front axle, and steering wheel is the same.

What is different:
The frame.
All four fenders.
The steering box.
All the brakes.
Rear axle.
Rear springs.
The running boards.
The bed and tailgate.

Hope this helps,
Tom
Hi Tom

Thanks for the quick reply.

Can you expand/do you know the differences between the frames?

Many thanks,

Dazzle

Old 06-12-2018, 10:35 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Let's start with the year sets. 48-52 and 53-56 are unique to themselves, and very little interchanges directly between the two. Best to forget about the 53 and newer models for parts trucks. Next is the 48-50 vs. 51-2. Basically they are the same truck with sheetmetal and trim being the difference, however those differences make body interchange interesting. Front fenders, grilles, hoods, inner fender panels; the entire front bodywork will only work together in their year sets. Doors are the same 48-52. Cabs have different dashes and the newer trucks have a larger rear window. Either will fit on the 48-52 frames. For the F2-3, the bed and rear fenders are all the same 48-52. On the F1, the beds are smaller all the way around, and there was a running change to the design toward the end of the 50 model year which also affected the rear fenders. Other than the wheelbase and length, the frames are similar in design and all of the front suspension and steering, except for springs, are interchangeable. But if you're changing that out, this won't matter to you much except for general knowledge. Hope this helps get you started.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Two of the best resources you can get are the '48-'54 Chassis Parts and Accessories catalog, and the Body Parts catalog. They are available on Ebay as reprints and CD's. They will tell you what fits what, and what you need to know. Basically, the cabs are the same within the series until you get into the big trucks and COE's. Chassis are all the same width with the exception of the smaller F-1/F-100. Lengths will differ with the wheelbase. Chassis channel depth and section modulus will vary by model.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Dazzle
New User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Let's start with the year sets. 48-52 and 53-56 are unique to themselves, and very little interchanges directly between the two. Best to forget about the 53 and newer models for parts trucks. Next is the 48-50 vs. 51-2. Basically they are the same truck with sheetmetal and trim being the difference, however those differences make body interchange interesting. Front fenders, grilles, hoods, inner fender panels; the entire front bodywork will only work together in their year sets. Doors are the same 48-52. Cabs have different dashes and the newer trucks have a larger rear window. Either will fit on the 48-52 frames. For the F2-3, the bed and rear fenders are all the same 48-52. On the F1, the beds are smaller all the way around, and there was a running change to the design toward the end of the 50 model year which also affected the rear fenders. Other than the wheelbase and length, the frames are similar in design and all of the front suspension and steering, except for springs, are interchangeable. But if you're changing that out, this won't matter to you much except for general knowledge. Hope this helps get you started.
I know I've already said it in another thread but this place has already really impressed me.
If I had asked a similar question on another forum, I'm pretty sure I would have been ridiculed and had answers like 'don't you know about google' or 'there is a search function' and the like!
This is refreshing.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dazzle
I know I've already said it in another thread but this place has already really impressed me.
If I had asked a similar question on another forum, I'm pretty sure I would have been ridiculed and had answers like 'don't you know about google' or 'there is a search function' and the like!
This is refreshing.
I know, this forum is AWESOME.

Google is a helpful resource, but for some reason, information on the old trucks of this era is a PITA to find. Even knowing what your looking for it is hard, but not knowing what you need? Impossible.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Thank you Wayne for clarifying the model year differences.
My brain was just thinking 1951 F1 vs. 1951 F2/F3

I'll add that the F1 has a 5-lug wheel pattern and the F2/F3 has an 8-lug pattern with bigger wheels.

Tom

Old 06-12-2018, 12:30 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Here's a page I set up:

Ford truck parts interchange

Old 06-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Dazzle
New User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Here's a page I set up:

Ford truck parts interchange
That's excellent information, thanks Bob

Old 06-12-2018, 02:44 PM
ben50f1
New User
About Rear Fenders...

About rear fenders... I have a late year production '50 F-1 with the short 6 1/2' bed, so the rear fenders do not have the "step" for the raised section of the bedside. I was given a free set of fenders (not on a vehicle at the time) that did not have the "step" and thought I was doing good. They looked the same as mine, and I had no reason to question they were different. But, after numerous hours of working on them to get them straight I decided to mock up the bed, fenders, tailgate, etc. This is when I discovered to my amazement that these fenders were not the same as mine. They sure look it, but the bolt pattern is different, and I would say the fender is somewhat longer from front to rear (maybe 2 or 3 inches is all), and the wheel opening is probably larger. I suspect these fenders are for the 8 ft bed, and maybe from an F-2/F-3. They look like my fenders, but closer examination side-by-side revealed they are different. So, now I am back to working on the fenders that were on it when I bought it. Maybe this info will help someone and keep them from making the same mistake.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Dazzle
New User
Originally Posted by Mixer man
Two of the best resources you can get are the '48-'54 Chassis Parts and Accessories catalog, and the Body Parts catalog. They are available on Ebay as reprints and CD's. They will tell you what fits what, and what you need to know. Basically, the cabs are the same within the series until you get into the big trucks and COE's. Chassis are all the same width with the exception of the smaller F-1/F-100. Lengths will differ with the wheelbase. Chassis channel depth and section modulus will vary by model.
Thanks Mixer Man.
If someone on this site has these CD's, is it possible for the site to host them so others can see?
Just a thought?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:14 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Add my welcome. Glad to see another F-3 being saved.

All 2wd F-3s came with these two piece 17” wheels. The joint where the front (base rim) and rear (side ring) connect is the raised band that encircles the rim and that the center disc is riveted to. These wheels are bad news. The trade name for the rim is the “Firestone RH-5°“, but most just call them “widow makers”. Finding a shop to work on them might be a challenge.

All the F-3s 1948 to 1952 came with these wheels because the rear brake drums 1948 to mid year 1951 were 14” Lockheeds. The F-2 model came with 12” Lockheeds and got one piece drop center 16” wheels (highly sought after today). In late 1951 Ford switched to 12” Bendix rear brakes on both F-2 and F-3 trucks but kept use of the 17s on F-3s. The early 14” drums preclude use of garden variety 16” salvage yard replacement wheels. You can tell whether you have an early or late year 1951 by the location of the parking brake handle (mentioned earlier). The early trucks have the brake handle in the left footwell like the F-1s, the late 1951 trucks and 1952s have a transmission mounted brake with the handle to the right of the shifter. Stu

Old 06-12-2018, 04:17 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by ben50f1
About rear fenders... I have a late year production '50 F-1 with the short 6 1/2' bed, so the rear fenders do not have the "step" for the raised section of the bedside. I was given a free set of fenders (not on a vehicle at the time) that did not have the "step" and thought I was doing good. They looked the same as mine, and I had no reason to question they were different. But, after numerous hours of working on them to get them straight I decided to mock up the bed, fenders, tailgate, etc. This is when I discovered to my amazement that these fenders were not the same as mine. They sure look it, but the bolt pattern is different, and I would say the fender is somewhat longer from front to rear (maybe 2 or 3 inches is all), and the wheel opening is probably larger. I suspect these fenders are for the 8 ft bed, and maybe from an F-2/F-3. They look like my fenders, but closer examination side-by-side revealed they are different. So, now I am back to working on the fenders that were on it when I bought it. Maybe this info will help someone and keep them from making the same mistake.
The F1 fenders - including the rears - are unique to the model. The F2/3 rear fenders are narrower, longer, and have a bigger wheel opening. Just as you found. There is a growing market for F2/3 sheetmetal. Just list it properly so the next owner knows understands the fitment.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dazzle
Thanks Mixer Man.
If someone on this site has these CD's, is it possible for the site to host them so others can see?
Just a thought?
I don't think that's going to happen. But you can't beat this price to have your very own.
https://www.hipoparts.com/1948-56-fo...ts-catalog-cd/

Quick Reply: Differences between the F1 and the F3?