Sponsored by:

Bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 02:37 PM
03X
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump stops

Hey all. Has anyone tried progressive rate bump stops from Prothane/Energy before?

I have replaced the originals a couple years ago, but they seem "soft"... those cone shaped ones

Old 06-11-2018, 03:03 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
I use them in the rear, for the front urathane is to hard for the Ex which uses the stops extensively, plus I think the ones you show are rears and the mount is 2” to long.

Fwiw, the stock cone shaped ones are progressive,
if you want to stay off your bump stops you need to either increase travel and get the axle up and away from the stops or get shocks with firmercompression dampening.

check dimensions here
https://www.prothanesuspensionparts....bump-stops.asp

speaking of travel, it may well be you have a sagged leaf spring.
If you measure all 4 wheels from the hub to the bottom of the fender lip what are your measurements ?

Old 06-11-2018, 03:13 PM
03X
Senior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
If you measure all 4 wheels from the hub to the bottom of the fender lip what are your measurements ?
From centre of hub to fender lip I am 23.5" front (both sides exactly the same) and 26" rear (also both sides dead even).

I will leave things as they are. I have had terrible luck with blowing front shocks so I am going through everything to see why I am getting premature shock failure.

I did the V/B mod, the V-codes were "like new" when I got them from the wrecker. Seriously they were still black and I could make out the factory for part#s on them still.

In hindsight I really wish I would have used X-codes. I was going to use U-codes because I was worried the V's would be too stiff... Nope. just a touch more spring rate would be good, and I feel the front looks just a touch low. 1/2 to 3/4 more lift in the front and I would be content.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:28 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
2.5” inch diffrence between front and rear is a lot of rake and is likely affecting your weight transfer putting more weight on the front axle which could partially the explain the blown shock issue.

shock issue could also just be the type of shock you are using or the type of driving you do.

i agree with you more lift in the front ( and inch lower then the rear is the factory setup ) but I disagree you need more spring rate. You just need a spring with more arch and the stock spring rate.

Fwiw, more spring rate would require even firmer shocks to control the axle movement.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:31 PM
03X
Senior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
2.5” inch diffrence between front and rear is a lot of rake and is likely affecting your weight transfer putting more weight on the front axle which could partially the explain the blown shock issue.

i agree with you more lift in the front
Thank-you! And this makes perfect sense to me!

What would you recommend to lift the front up an inch or so? a couple of short leaves under my front leaf packs? I think I have seen this done on this site somewhere.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:17 PM
03X
Senior User
Well I figure the easiest way is to do a simple 1" shackle lift in the front. I am going to replace the shocks at the same time and see how they last. Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:49 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 03X
Thank-you! And this makes perfect sense to me!

What would you recommend to lift the front up an inch or so? a couple of short leaves under my front leaf packs? I think I have seen this done on this site somewhere.
the so called “mini leaf” leveling kits are not so much leafs as they are a block, but since blocks have a bad rap they call them leafs. Not ideal but neither is longer shackles.

Given the choice between the 2 I would begrudgeingly choose the mini leaf blocks but I would prefer a new leaf pack like the pro comp 22210 which should put the front of your Ex at about 25”

What shocks will you use ?

Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 AM
03X
Senior User
Im sticking with the KYB Monomax. The ride and control is just so awesome over any terrain I have encountered (I do not off-road). I spent some time talking with a KYB tech and even though my premature shock failure could be my own fault they have no issue giving me a free replacement. He even recommended a different shock part# that should work a little better for my situation. Every single Monomax part# is valved differently, for compression and rebound at various speeds. So I am very happy with their service and willingness to share information. When the shackles show up Ill be putting new shocks on at the same time.

Well budget wise I gotta go with a 1" lift shackle. I also would prefer proper springs but I just had a windshield and bodywork done so no extra $$. I cant see a 1" lift giving me any issues. If it were a substantial lift I wouldn't even think about it.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:01 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Because I don’t do shackle life I am not all that familiar with the offerings available for the Ex.
do you have a link to the ones you you will be installing ?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:03 AM
03X
Senior User
they are pretty straight forward
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1999-2004-Fo...72.m2749.l2649

also curious as to the effect on alignment after these? pushing the rear of the front leaf down a bit would affect caster?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
If you are not doing the front spring hanger then yes they will add positive caster.

i have no practical experience changing the shackle on the Excursion and the reason I have avoided using them is in my experience building race cars using longer shackles reduced lateral stability because of the added leverage. Given the Ex weight and tendency to wander I have always just avoided shackles. Just seems to me you are adding more variables for poor handling. In reality your track bar life may suffer but should handle the added lateral leverage. Keep an eye on your frame mounted rubber bushings and the track bar.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:34 AM
03X
Senior User
thanks for the tips! Yes I have the prothane poly bushings for the track bar which is going in this summer. Ill keep an eye on those frame bushings. I see your point on everything, just hoping a slight lift wont affect anything negatively.

Since the V/B mod I have never felt the EX wander!

Old 06-12-2018, 03:02 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
2” Icon hangers and shackles with X codes on 35” rubber and my Ex still drives great especially after upgrading the sway bar bushings and adding a rear Hellwig sway bar.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:22 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 03X
Im sticking with the KYB Monomax. The ride and control is just so awesome over any terrain I have encountered (I do not off-road). I spent some time talking with a KYB tech and even though my premature shock failure could be my own fault they have no issue giving me a free replacement. He even recommended a different shock part# that should work a little better for my situation. Every single Monomax part# is valved differently, for compression and rebound at various speeds. So I am very happy with their service and willingness to share information. When the shackles show up Ill be putting new shocks on at the same time.
and that is exactly why I gave up on Bilstein which sucks because started my race career with them but damn, getting a pair of shock warrantied was not worth the effort. It was that experience That made me give the monomax a try and even though I have not had to call them so far the feedback is the shocks work great on the Ex, glad to hear your customer service report.

for the record, what dept did you call ? Care to share the number ?

thanks
camo

Old 06-12-2018, 04:26 PM
03X
Senior User
I just emailed them @ techsupport@kyb.com and someone got back to me same day. Emailed back and forth for a few days and always sent me a message in a respectable amount of time. Never did have to call as they took care of me.

Plus I like email so I can look back on things

Quick Reply: Bump stops