Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind spot mirrors

Old 06-10-2018, 07:25 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
jthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud of
Blind spot mirrors

What is up with the blind spot mirrors on these trucks that don't have the monitor system? It shows the exact same thing the full mirror does and cuts off the actual blind spot or creates a blind spot. Is there a replacement that doesn't have that, or would I have to get the mirrors for the trucks with the monitor system?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:51 AM
storage_man
Senior User
storage_man is starting off with a positive reputation.
You are supposed to correctly adjust the spot mirrors to your seating position. Once that is accomplished, you should be able to see into the blind spots or am I miss understanding your question. Ford has a BLISS system on upper trim levels, but I don't think it changes the mirrors.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 AM
CR172
Elder User
CR172 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Agree with Storage Man. Mine work just fine. I believe most people don't adjust their side view mirrors properly. I see folks all the time leaning forward to see what's beside them. If you adjust them properly, one doesn't have to change their head position to see what's there. There is no reason for you to actually see the side of your vehicle.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:41 PM
tomfiii
Senior User
tomfiii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes they do suck ,they should've had an adjustable convex mirror . I added after market convex either over convex or under it.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:49 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
jthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tomfiii View Post
Yes they do suck ,they should've had an adjustable convex mirror . I added after market convex either over convex or under it.
Glad to see someone agree with me. I guess we can both be the idiots that don't know how to adjust a side view mirror properly.

In all seriousness though, the mirror literally shows the exact same image, while blocking part of the view because of the spot mirror. And "properly" adjusted? That seems pretty subjective to me. I like seeing the side of my truck because it allows me to see behind the truck some.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 PM
TJReams
Elder User
TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.
I agree that you should see the back corner of the truck or car. all these "experts" that say you don;t have never pulled a trailer. If you can't see the back of the vehicle or the trailer you will have major problems. I put 2" round spots on my blind spot mirors in the bottom outside corners,. I still watch the dot when passing when it goes out you can pull back over safely.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 PM
Kingofwylietx
Elder User
Kingofwylietx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Kingofwylietx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How to adjust your mirrors:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...id-blind-spots

https://seniordriving.aaa.com/improv...-your-mirrors/

You need to adjust them differently when towing, to see your trailer.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:39 AM
CR172
Elder User
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by TJReams View Post
I agree that you should see the back corner of the truck or car. all these "experts" that say you don;t have never pulled a trailer. If you can't see the back of the vehicle or the trailer you will have major problems. I put 2" round spots on my blind spot mirors in the bottom outside corners,. I still watch the dot when passing when it goes out you can pull back over safely.
1- I never claimed to be an expert.
2- I've towed many a trailer in my day
3- I adopted the SAE recommended way to adjust mirrors roughly 20+ years or so ago after reading a blurb on the USAA website. And also from riding motorcycles most of my life. I don't want to see the side of my bike, I want to see what's in the other lanes.

You should try adjusting your mirrors "properly". You just might like it.

Thanks for the backup King.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM
storage_man
Senior User
storage_man is starting off with a positive reputation.
How about a quick question. My f150 has the extra cost trailer tow mirrors. They have a large blind spot mirror which is manually adjustable. Are the standard F150 mirrors with blind spot adjustable ?

Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 AM
CR172
Elder User
Originally Posted by storage_man View Post
How about a quick question. My f150 has the extra cost trailer tow mirrors. They have a large blind spot mirror which is manually adjustable. Are the standard F150 mirrors with blind spot adjustable ?
The 'blind spot' mirror on the standard mirror is not adjustable.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:34 PM
TJReams
Elder User
TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.TJReams has a great reputation on FTE.
I got an Idea, since I have tried your way and didn't like it. Why don't I leave my mirrors where they are? Also You aren't the expert you got your info from someone else, Looks like Car and Driver and or AAA. The blind spot mirrors give me all the extra info I need. I drove trucks to many years to change now.. I don't cut people off nor do I run people off the road.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Kingofwylietx
Elder User
Kingofwylietx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Kingofwylietx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I got an Idea, since I have tried your way and didn't like it. Why don't I leave my mirrors where they are? Also You aren't the expert you got your info from someone else, Looks like Car and Driver and or AAA. The blind spot mirrors give me all the extra info I need. I drove trucks to many years to change now.. I don't cut people off nor do I run people off the road.
I'm the one that posted the C&D and AAA mirror setting. Pretty much everyone recommends doing it that way to eliminate blind spots. If you are too set in your ways to change, keep them how you like them. No need to be getting worked up over mirror settings. I donít think there are any mirror experts on here...so those of us trying to be helpful often provide links to sites that are credible for doing things the best way, in this case it was setting mirrors to avoid blind spots.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:43 PM
Lebowskii
Senior User
Lebowskii is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The blind spot mirrors give me all the extra info I need. I drove trucks to many years to change now.. I don't cut people off nor do I run people off the road.
I got my driver's license 50 years ago this month and have been legally licensed to drive everything from motorcycles to big box trucks to 3 axle dump trucks to 18 wheelers and I like to see a little of the side of my truck when I'm driving too. There is no blind spot as long as there's a fisheye mirror on each side along with the regular mirror so I don't see what the debate is about. To each his own....

Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Wiggums
Elder User
Wiggums is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Wiggums is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My friend's father has been driving for 50 years and when I sit in his truck, I realize I can see half of his truck which is unnecessary.

For me, I turn my mirrors far out as possible to the point where I have to lean a bit to see the sides of my truck. That way, I am getting the most blind spot as possible. I still lean a bit when I'm backing in a space but at least I don't have to when I'm changing lanes.

I have a shell on my truck so I can't quite see out of the rear-view mirror very well anyway.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
I adjusted my mirrors out (again) so the truck is not visible without moving my head a bit. That seems to give a better field of vision in the mirror as suggested above. I do like to see the back of the vehicle, as it's an easy way to see where you are at vs. the center line. (Mom's driving lessons stick, right or wrong).

Having said that, I too believe the fixed blind spot mirrors on the F150 are nearly worthless, and I would rather be able to affix my own vs. suffer the loss of that mirror area for a mirror that adds, as far as I can tell, nothing to the side view.

Any vehicle overtaking me on the right seems to appear in both mirrors at the same time. I have not been able to check at low speeds the side-by-side images, but I'll get around to it.

IMO for a blind spot mirror to be of value, you should be able to see something beside you that is not in your main mirror view.

More later, as this horse gets softer and more splattery and fun to beat as time goes by.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: