Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Timing chain rattle

Old 06-10-2018, 08:43 AM
jch4
New User
jch4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2011 Timing chain rattle

2011 Ecoboost, 84000 miles. Timing chain rattle on start up. Been doing it for awhile now. Seems to be more common when oil needs changing. I've had the dealer do all the maintenance, changing oil at around 5000 miles each time. Check engine came on the other day, "O2 sensor I believe he said", took it in for that and was told to come back Monday, the 11th, otherwise it would sit on the lot for a few day until they could get to it. Asked about the timing chain, and the advisor right away asked if I had a service plan, which ran out at 75000 miles. He then said to trade it in. Well that's not really an option now, not comfortably anyway. He then said to expect $2500-$3000. O U C H !!!!!!!
Will it someday fail completely, as in major engine failure, one day not start? I'm reading it sometimes reoccurring after repair a year later, etc. That's not good.
Any thoughts, experience, etc. Thanks guys.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:06 AM
tseekins
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
So sorry to read of this. I think if I were able, I'd get the bank 1 fixed, clear the code and then look for another truck. I've read of too many instances where an engine was fixed then the issue returned. It's almost like the entire fix wasn't performed.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 AM
ssls6
Senior User
ssls6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unfortunately it's kind of a rough deal. When a chain stretches it starts to load up the sprocket teeth unevenly. In fact, when it really stretches you can only load up the last 1-2 teeth where you'd normally spread the load over 40-50% of the teeth. This will accelerate the sprocket wear. I believe Ford's TSB has them replace the chain, guide, tensioner, and cam sprockets which is good but the smallest sprocket is the one on the crank. They do not replace that one. A new chain on an old sprocket will cause more accelerated wear.

I also would look for another truck. A little pain now vs. potentially more pain later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: