No start -- low ICP - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No start -- low ICP

Old 06-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Norton72 has a good reputation on FTE.Norton72 has a good reputation on FTE.
No start -- low ICP

I've been having a no start problem and I had codes for the EGR valve. (P0403, P0404, P0405.) I ordered a new EGR valve and installed it, but still no start. I had it towed to the dealer and they said the ICP pressure was 250 and that it should be about 500. Right now I owe them $135. They said to take off the valve covers and do an "air test" it would be $608 for labor. I told them to let me have the truck back. They somehow got it started to drive it into the shop, but I don't see how. I'd like to know that trick. So what should I do next?

Last edited by Norton72; 09-11-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 06-08-2018, 08:16 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Is it possible you have a bad ICP and they simply unplugged it to get it running?
And FYI........you don't have to take the valve covers off just to air test, they should know that much, which tells me perhaps they don't know that much.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:25 AM
Sparky83
Posting Legend
Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
are you sure they started it to get it into the shop?? the dealers here either hand push or use forklift to push from behind.. they broke the spare tire carrier on my truck using the forklift to push it around.. still annoyed they broke it but glad they confessed to it and fixed it @ no charge before i showed up.

it is true you need a minimum of 500 psi to fire the injectors before it will start... but if the icp sensor is bad you can unplug the sensor to force the computer to run off the default ICP values comparative to what it reads off the IPR value as a backup.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Norton72
Elder User
Ok, thanks. Yes, I'm positive that they drove it into the shop. I was reading through some threads and remember seeing that if the ICP leaks that it will leak oil on the back of the motor. That reminded me that I had been smelling burnt oil faintly for the last couple of weeks or so. I hate just throwing parts at problems, but if they did disconnect the sensor to start the truck, then to me it sounds like I need a new one. I'm putting this part number here so I can refer to it later, and hopefully for someone to verify it is the correct one.

4C3Z-9F838-A

Old 06-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Sparky83
Posting Legend
Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
it depends on the location of the ICP where itll leak at.. since yours is an 05 you will be lucky as itll be on the passenger side valve cover in the open (grumbles about that).. when those leak itll make a mess on that side of the engine.. which its really rare for that particular one to leak.. it was more the late 03/early04's that were prone to leaking.. and when they did they make a mess everywhere across the back.. the late 03/early 04's sat underneath the turbo and got cooked by the exhaust up-pipes.. because of where they sat meant they were a pita to get to also..

Old 06-08-2018, 10:14 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Norton72 View Post
Ok, thanks. Yes, I'm positive that they drove it into the shop. I was reading through some threads and remember seeing that if the ICP leaks that it will leak oil on the back of the motor. That reminded me that I had been smelling burnt oil faintly for the last couple of weeks or so. I hate just throwing parts at problems, but if they did disconnect the sensor to start the truck, then to me it sounds like I need a new one. I'm putting this part number here so I can refer to it later, and hopefully for someone to verify it is the correct one.

4C3Z-9F838-A
That is the correct part, yes. I upgraded the kids truck with this one last Dec when his was leaking again after a whopping 25k miles(first one was OEM early build style)
I would also double check the pigtail, be sure it's not looking chaffed or has any loose pins, if the switch is oily then replace the pigtail as well.......at the least clean it up good with some electrical contact cleaner

Old 06-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Well I'm up here at the dealership to pick up my truck. Had to go out of town this week. I unplugged the ICP but I still can't get it to start. ICP pressure with sensor unplugged says about 1150 psi. Shouldn't it be zero?

Old 06-15-2018, 12:33 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
That is the default number you get with a later model year truck with the ICP unplugged. Should not be zero.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Is there something else I should try to get it started. I just want to get it home.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Norton72
Elder User
The test they want to do is to see where the oil pressure is leaking. If the HPOP was leaking, wouldn't there be oil on the ground.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
The HPOP leaks are internal, they drain back to the crankcase.

Not sure what they might have done to get it started. I don't think the ICP sensor is your problem. Since your ICP is on the passenger side valve cover, you should be able to see any leakage from it or the connector. The ICP leakage at the back of the motor is on the 03's and early 04's.

If they saw low ICP pressure (below 500 psi) when cranking, and you have shown that the ICP sensor isn't the thing keeping it from starting, then I am not sure how to get it started.

Make sure you are cranking at 150 rpm or better. That doesn't sound like your current issue, but it might help if you are right on the edge of 500 psi to start.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:09 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
Can you see if you are still getting cam/crank sync and FICM sync when cranking (sync=1).

Old 06-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Yes, I'm getting sync, and I'm cranking 150 RPM. I just put two new Odyssey Extreme batteries and a new 140A alternator in when I got the FICM repaired. Maybe I should have had it towed to another shop instead of my house.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Tideman
Posting Guru
Tideman has a very good reputation on FTE.Tideman has a very good reputation on FTE.Tideman has a very good reputation on FTE.Tideman has a very good reputation on FTE.
What is ICP psi with it plugged in? Starting to sound like a leak. Dummy’s or standpipes or injector top seals.

went back up and read and saw pressure at 250.

They probably got it started with starting fluid WHICH IS NOT RECCOMENDED!!!!

Old 06-15-2018, 04:14 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Standpipes and dummy plugs have not been done on this truck. I spent a ton of money getting it done on my other truck before it was stolen. If I have to do it a again I'll have to do it myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No start -- low ICP

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.