General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Netgear AC1000

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:49 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 156 Likes on 94 Posts
Netgear AC1000

Hi,
This router is apparently going back to Amazon. I can see the internet from my various computes and tablets, but one computer can't be accessed from the other one. (although the reverse is NOT true). It also adds a 2 at the end of my network name on one of the computers.

My old Belkin does not have those issues. I have gone back to factory settings several times and as far as I can tell it should be set up right. Frustrating because I think that it's a little faster and has better range.

I also wonder how they go about writing the user manuals. It doesn't seem to occur to anybody that you might be REPLACING a router. Everything is about setting up a new network -- and they'd really like you to use their mobile app to do it automatically (I can only imagine how that might go).

If anybody has any tips, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks,

hj

Old 06-01-2018, 10:49 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
HJ

My guess is the problem is not with the router, but the network setup on that computer..

If you have 4 computers and tablets working fine and one having issues, then the problem is that computer..

Check the DNS settings and IP address.. You might have something set that is looking for the old router..

Also the new routers are not just TCP IP V4 Address scheme.. They also have the new TCP IP V6 which could be causing issues..

Try disabling it and see if that fixes it

Old 06-02-2018, 11:32 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 156 Likes on 94 Posts
Thanks DJ, but I shipped it back today -- I was just to PO'd. Maybe I'll try again sometime. It wasn't obvious to me that V6 was enabled. They had something about it, but it was not clear to me what they were doing. My Belkin is supposed to use V6 within the network, but not allow pass through.

I thought that it might be the compute too, but I couldn't see anything.
It was like this:
Compute 1 could see compute 2 and read shared folders
Compute 2 would SHOW the shared folders on compute 1, but couldn't open them -- 'network error, can't find path'
The Netgear network info showed the compute 1 IP, but only showed '--' in the name area. Compute2 showed its name
Both computers showed up as connected to 'mynet'
But compute 1 showed that it was attached to 'mynet2' in its popup menu. Compute 2 showed that it was hooked to 'mynet'

Sometimes I think that they go out of their way to make network setup difficult. In some ways, it was easier a few years ago.

hj

Old 06-03-2018, 08:13 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ford2go
Thanks DJ, but I shipped it back today -- I was just to PO'd. Maybe I'll try again sometime. It wasn't obvious to me that V6 was enabled. They had something about it, but it was not clear to me what they were doing. My Belkin is supposed to use V6 within the network, but not allow pass through.

I thought that it might be the compute too, but I couldn't see anything.
It was like this:
Compute 1 could see compute 2 and read shared folders
Compute 2 would SHOW the shared folders on compute 1, but couldn't open them -- 'network error, can't find path'
The Netgear network info showed the compute 1 IP, but only showed '--' in the name area. Compute2 showed its name
Both computers showed up as connected to 'mynet'
But compute 1 showed that it was attached to 'mynet2' in its popup menu. Compute 2 showed that it was hooked to 'mynet'

Sometimes I think that they go out of their way to make network setup difficult. In some ways, it was easier a few years ago.

hj
They do and it helps keep me in business...

If you get a new one and still have issues let me know