1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

American Flag Headliner...DONE

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 05:32 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's cuz its not a good question. I did not discourage anything. I merely pointed out the rule. If someone feels discouraged, that's on them. I have no control over someone's feelings. Besides, how can a patriot have his patriotic feeling discouraged by someone pointing out he's breaking a patriotic code? Makes no sense.

You ever play a game for years and years only to find out you've had the rules all wrong? I have. I don't get discouraged. I start following the rules. Its nearly impossible these days to not know the rules though. They can be looked up in an instant.

I'll attempt to answer your question though. Violating a patriotic code in the name of being patriot is worse. Its not only a violation of a rule. It is also hypocritical. And to be discouraged by it would be your own problem. All of that is worse than someone sharing the code with you.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:57 PM
muhford
Posting Guru
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

"The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the national flag of the United States of America. It is Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C.§ 1et seq). This is a U.S. federal law, but only suggests voluntary customs for handling of the American flag and was never intended to be enforceable. [1] The code uses non-binding language like "should" and "custom" throughout and does not prescribe any penalties for failure to follow the guidelines."

If it is legal to burn the flag then it is also legal to make a headliner or a pair of pants. Don't discourage patriotism!

Old 01-20-2021, 06:03 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Clothing with stars and stripes on the cloth are not flags. Taking a flag and cutting it into clothing is disrespect. Disrespect is not illegal. If you chose to disrespect, that is your freedom. You can use the US flag to blow your nose, wipe your butt, polish your shoes, etc. It just happens to go against the code.

And true, the code is not enforceable. It's a code. So I would assume that everyone here who likes the headliner is OK with athletes kneeling. Just so we're on the same page.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:12 PM
muhford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by qman
True, it is not enforceable. It's a code. So I would assume that everyone here who likes the headliner is OK with athletes kneeling.
Conservatives are OK with freedom of expression, even if it's kneeling on the flag. We don't want to stop the kneeling, we just find the individuals pathetic.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:14 PM
qman
Cargo Master
I hear ya. I find any individual who disrespects the flag pathetic.

You'd be more correct saying "some conservatives" are OK with freedom of expression. Obviously our former President, along with a whole slew of "conservatives" were not OK with it. You yourself cannot possibly be OK with it if you find someone doing so to be pathetic.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:38 PM
muhford
Posting Guru
You'd be more correct saying "some conservatives" are OK with freedom of expression. Obviously our former President, along with a whole slew of "conservatives" were not OK with it. You yourself cannot possibly be OK with it if you find someone pathetic.
I think you are confused. Conservatives don't want to stop the kneelers. We just want to point and laugh at how ridiculous they are.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:03 AM
qman
Cargo Master
Not confused at all. The ex-president and screaming Gravy Seals were quite clear.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:51 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Careful fellows. We are not supposed to discuss politics (or religion) on this tech forum. The moderators may not be happy.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:39 PM
josht
Laughing Gas
Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts
I'll agree with the avoiding political discussion, especially in today's climate. Don't particularly think the comments about the "ex-president" or "gravy seals" were warranted, but I'm all for a discussion on flag etiquette and don't think that's political. Perhaps this isn't the right place for it, but not political.

I'm of mixed opinion on the whole flag thing. I do not agree with desecrating a flag to create a headliner, shorts, or a bikini (no matter how good it looks". That said the materials used to make most of these things was never a U.S. (or other national) Flag to begin with. IMO there is a difference between an actual national flag and flag print material, or even a national flag and a general flag like the thin blue line flag mentioned previously. The former represents a nation and its people, the latter is a display of patriotism for that nation and its people. I don't particularly like that @braol used an actual flag for his head liner, but I do respect his intent. I much prefer the thin blue line or American flag sticker/vinyl idea posted earlier. Either way I'd much rather see the flag desecrated in the manner that he did it, than burned (not retired, burned) or disrespected as many "Americans" have done over the last several years. FWIW, I also consider the kneeling a show of disrespect for the flag and nation, but that's encroaching on the political side that I'd like to avoid.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:08 AM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Care for the flag was something that was emphasized more in the past. While it has been some time since the first bikini's and ties and the like were first introduced using Old Glory, there was a time before that that such a thing would have never been done. Some of that teaching still exists and I personally was taught that way. I believe all this lack of reverence to the flag stuff is just like everything else...teach it and it will exist...dont teach it and it wont. The Pledge of Allegiance every morning teaches what is what. No pledge no knowledge of what that means or feels like.
Maybe its just me and my upbringing/life experiences Im very reverent toward the flag. i love the flag. and the other symbols of patriotism.
Here's the story of the ring tone for my phone which is "To The Colors' .
I had very bad buck teeth as a child. When I was in the fourth grade my orthodontist suggested that I play a brass music instrument so the pressure of my lips against the mouth piece of the instrument would help push my teeth into a position better suited for a more typical smile etc. My elementary school also had a music program where a music teacher would visit our school every Wednesday. The stars lined up and I started learning about the trumpet. 3 other boys from my fourth grade class also chose the trumpet. At the end of the year the Principal came to our fourth grade class and pulled us four budding trumpet players out of class and had a meeting with us. He asked for a volunteer without telling us what we would be volunteering for. One of the boldest boys in our class was one of the four there that day, he asked what is it you want one of us to do? The Principal said volunteer and you will find out. I raised my hand to volunteer, The Principal then said, Starting at the beginning of next year when you are in 5th grade you will come to school 20 minutes early....The bold boy snickered since he dodged having to be at school earlier than everyone else. Ill never forget that look the Principal gave him to shut him down. The Principal continued, Gary you will meet the janitor at the Square where the flag pole is outside my office in the front of the school. Over the summer vacation you must practice the bugle call "To The Colors" Its not beyond your ability to play it but it also is not that easy so start learning it right away September will be here sooner than you may think and I want you to play this important bugle call well. I also want you to go back to the flag pole each day about 10 minutes before the bell rings to let school out. You will play TAPs as the Janitor brings the flag down for the night.
I never missed a day of school for 5th and 6th grade. To The Colors echoed through the halls of Gage Elementary School here in San Carlos a suburb of San Diego every morning just before the start of school. Taps just at the end of the school day....Mr Neimann the Principal of Gage School taught us how to respect the flag and be proud Americans.
A few years ago I heard the story of God Bless America on the Radio a few days before July 4th. I found the God Bless America story compelling. We have friends who invite a group of us over every 4th. Their back yard has a view of two football fields for two of the area high schools. They shoot off fireworks at those two schools each year. Its a nice show. Good bbq, good beer,good friends, great fireworks. Before the fireworks I shared the story of how God Bless America came about. While I was looking for a track to record and play for my friends all gathered that night and to highlight my story I also came across the bugle call To The Colors. I had been getting tone deaf to my ring tone of my phone. My customers were complaining that I didnt answer my phone. Truth be told I was tuning my phone out. That day I adopted To The Colors as my ring tone...I cant tune out my phone anymore. Every time my phone rings I snap to like I did in the 5th grade playing the bugle call so that it echoed through the halls of my elementary school as Old Glory was raised....I know that braol is patriotic but probably wasnt raised to think the same way about how to present the flag. I would like to thank him for his service. I actually am sad for those that dont know the difference for my type of reverence and only know something less. They are missing out on the absolute pride that the flag can represent. They were never shown it from a young age where it can take hold more powerfully. Just my humble opinion...

https://www.kennedy-center.org/educa...bless-america/

This is a picture From the Flag Pole area of the Shuttered because of Covad Elementary School in my neighborhood. I set up a display of Americana and participated in the Memorial Day 'Taps Across America' program that the CBS Sunday Morning Show promoted. This was Steve Hartman's idea He is featured on the Show often. My Fathers Bronze Star and other Army Certificates are displayed on the hood

Ethyl the Tool Truck is draped in a wrap featuring The Stars and Stripes. I will be adding the Preamble to The Constitution "WE THE PEOPLE' will be covering that large white area of the front of the box just behind the Cab.

More patriotism presented.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:47 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Clothing (sweats, ties, bikini, etc) made from stars and stripes cloth is not made from a flag. Non issue.

Painting stars and stripes on the side of a box truck has nothing to do with disrespect of a flag. It's a paint job. Now, if you took an actual flag and riveted it to the side of the box truck and covered it in lacquer that might go over as disrespect. The flag is supposed to always flow freely.

Sorry to throw in ex-Pres and Gravy Seals in there. Couldn't help myself after the one fella tossed in there that people kneeling for the anthem are pathetic. Just couldn't help it. Besides, do you not kneel to propose marriage, get knighted (I know I did), to pray, etc? How is kneeling disrespectful? For more on this look up Nate Boyer.

As for Gravy Seals . . . I've been known to identify as a Gravy Seal from time to time LOL.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:45 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
AWESOME story mytoolman. You got my patriotic heart pumping proudly. If you aren't a member of an American Legion as I am, you dang well ought to be.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:33 PM
josht
Laughing Gas
Sorry to throw in ex-Pres and Gravy Seals in there. Couldn't help myself after the one fella tossed in there that people kneeling for the anthem are pathetic. Just couldn't help it. Besides, do you not kneel to propose marriage, get knighted (I know I did), to pray, etc? How is kneeling disrespectful? For more on this look up Nate Boyer.
I'm going to answer that with another question. What is the significance of kneeling before the woman you love and hope to marry? What is the significance of kneeling before God? What is the significance of kneeling before the queen to be knighted? The act of kneeling is an act of submission. Submission to the woman who will be your wife, submission to God, submission to the crown/queen. Submission can be respectful, but it is still submission.

Kneeling before the flag is an act of submission to the crown, the government, to a higher controlling power. The revolutionary war was fought over this. Soldiers died for this. America exists because of this. The entire point of the revolutionary war, the founding of America, the constitution, is so that the people are in control of the government not submitting to it. As such kneeling before the flag is actually a show of disrespect to what the country stands for, and those soldiers died for. If those kneeling before the flag in protest understood the significance of the act and the history of the country, they would realize that their act is exactly the opposite of what they want to be doing. They should be standing in defiance, not kneeling in subjugation. Find a proper time and place to stand for what you believe in, kneeling during the national anthem is neither the proper time nor standing for anything. If that doesn't make sense, I'm sorry that I'm not eloquent enough to say what I mean and think.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:29 AM
qman
Cargo Master
Exactly. Athletes kneel in submission to the flag so to draw awareness to their cause. Conservatives lose their mind.

You didn't look up Nate Boyer did you? You don't even know the history behind this entire thing.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:30 PM
josht
Laughing Gas
Not exactly, you still don't understand and I'm got going to waste more time trying.

No I didn't look up Nate Boyer, I didn't care who he is and still don't. Quick Google search says that he's a Green Beret and fellow foot ball player. Apparently when krapernick (idgaf how it's spelled) started his little protest he was just sitting through the national anthem. Apparently Boyer told him that taking a knee would be "more respectful", which doesn't really mean a damn thing. It may be more respectful than sitting, but that doesn't make the act in itself any less disrespectful. Just shows that Boyer preferred to see one over the other, I prefer to see neither.

Quick Reply: American Flag Headliner...DONE