Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck dies and won't start after a few miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 07:41 AM
nodieusa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck dies and won't start after a few miles

I own a 1994 F150 4.9L V6 Manual transmission and I live in Texas (starting to get hot). I can't fill up my front tank (separate issue) so it has very little gas, I started the truck using the front tank (forgot to switch to back tank) and as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot the other day the truck stalled. I switched tanks and tried to start but it didn't, I thought maybe the battery ran out of juice so I tried to jump it with a portable USB juice pack I carry around but it didn't start. A lady was kind enough to stop and help and I jump started off her SUV and it started but when I started moving the truck died again. I was then able to jump start it with my "juice pack" and made it home. The battery is new and the alternator was replaced a couple of months ago. Next day I'm driving it early in the morning (not too hot yet) and after a few miles it stalled again. A friend of mine recommended replaced the ignition coil - I did and it started with some authority. Drove it around the block and it ran better than ever, 3 starts later and it wouldn't start again. Put a new controller module in and issue didn't go away, had old controller tested at autozone and it tested ok so I returned the new one and put the old one back in. Autozone guy mentioned the controller module could be overheating so I slathered thermal grease between the heatsink and module, after a couple of trials it started and I drove it home, a few houses down from my house it stalled and died. Truck wouldn't start again but it cranks every time. This morning I walked down and it started strong and I drove it home. At this point I don't think the problem is either battery or alternator, leaning towards distributor or ECM. This just started happening after weather warmed up so I'm thinking something is overheating. Temperature gauge is not spiking although speedometer goes out of whack shortly before truck stalls.

Please help!

Thank you!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:38 PM
mu34tant
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a mechanic told me my intermittent power loss might be from the "inertia fuel cutoff". turbotim23 said it is Under passenger side kick panel inside cab, it has a button on top that pops up that you have to press if it got triggered.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:53 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this would be a good time to stop guessing and also to ignore the guesses of others ... that can get expensive and frustrating.
basic troubleshooting includes checking fuel pressure with a gauge ( ford made this relatively easy by putting a schraeder valve on the fuel rail), and pulling codes (again, ford made this easy and it can be done with a paper clip or a short length of wire).
if you start with those two things you can zero in on the problem much more quickly and cheaply than loading up the parts cannon.